Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    As far as airflow goes, yes. But it doesnt make the AC itslef VS.

Nathan, i think the plan checker is referring to the cal. title-24 compliance forms,not a manual j.Your house might not have complied to the states model home effif.standards
    with a 80% furnace,so by upgrading to a 90% furnace your house complied with the state model.Sometimes a home will have more glass area than is allowed so by increasing the furnace eff. you were allowed more glass area, If my typing makes any sence to you.

Doc, one last question (until next time). I know everyone has their favorite brands, and I'm good with the general recommendation that you go with the quality of the installer and not a particular brand of equipment.

Doc, let's say I've determined 2 equally qualified installers. One installs Trane and the other installs Amana. I know Trane has their staunch defenders and I also know Amana has been soiled by their connection to Goodman, at least in many minds.

Let's finally say I want a 90% VS furnace and a 13 or 14 SEER AC.

If I really could determine both contractors were equally good at the install then it seems as though I really do come down to an equipment question. And I know Trane guys are never going to admit Amana is as good as Trane, but at some point I'll have to make that call.

So, Doc. How much (I know there are no pricing questions) is a particular brand worth? I have a feeling there is no right answer. Just curious to see how much weight you would give to brand if significant price differences were involved.

Thanks, bigbird. That makes sense. I'll ask the architect's office on Monday.

I appreciate all the free advice. I can assure you in my line of work I don't know of such a forum where consumers can learn so much from a variety of practitioners.

Exclamation V/S

Nathen9999.
    The V/S motor is just that.It is the motor that makes the blower wheel go round and round.You can have a 80% furnace with a V/S motor.Or you can have a 90% funace with pse four speed motor.Keep in mind here the four speed motor is just that four fixed speeds.Of which you can only use only two speeds.One for the speed of the air when the A/C is on.One speed for when the heat is on.You can do a lot of calculating but on average a 80% two stage furnace with a V/S blower motor is the biggest bang for the buck.There are other reasons to use a 90% furnace.Such as noise and venting limitations.With the two stage heating V/S furnace you get the comfort and the saving of less energy used with a continuous fan.You use that for really good filtration.Then with the V/S blower motor you get all the + + + + that DOC has talked to you about.Like relly good humitidy control.Look at the installed price differents between a 80% and 90% V/S furnaces than look at how many years it will take to get back the price differents with a 10% more better burn:} With the money save on the furnace you could then buy a higher seer A/C or maybe a two stage A/C.Then you would get the killer comfort all summer long.
    41GASMAN

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12