Using non-factory motors

On the stores are work on we have two types of Blodgett Ovens, some gas some electric.

Ctb1 (electric) and the gas I dont know a model number for. Ill carry one motor and blower wheel for either, for the gas its 110v and elec its 208v, the specs are the same between both motors (rpm, hp) only difference is shaft dia. and rotation.

I was talking with my boss man wondering why not just carry one motor thats multivoltage, and reversiable rotation with the smaller of the two shaft sizes and just use a bushing to adapt the shaft size.

whats your thoughts on using a non oem motor

Those OEM motors are designed to handle the heat from the oven. All it will take is you trying one generic motor that fails prematurely and then you'll realized you can't do that in all situations.

Quote Originally Posted by pairman View Post
    Those OEM motors are designed to handle the heat from the oven. All it will take is you trying one generic motor that fails prematurely and then you'll realized you can't do that in all situations.
    Agreed
    Mark

I don't work on ovens, but have the following information if it would be of some help to you.

Electric motors come in a variety of ratings. There's industrial, commercial, severe, washdown, and inverter duty. As long as the frame, hp, voltage, rpm's, and rotation are the same, i'll use a non-OEM motor in a heartbeat. However, if you feel your application requires something special, i'd take one of the burned out motors to a reputable motor winding shop and ask them if there was anything special about it. They can tell you - as they would know better than anyone. Just my 2 cents

Quote Originally Posted by Auburn Tigers View Post
    I don't work on ovens, but have the following information if it would be of some help to you.

Electric motors come in a variety of ratings. There's industrial, commercial, severe, washdown, and inverter duty. As long as the frame, hp, voltage, rpm's, and rotation are the same, i'll use a non-OEM motor in a heartbeat. However, if you feel your application requires something special, i'd take one of the burned out motors to a reputable motor winding shop and ask them if there was anything special about it. They can tell you - as they would know better than anyone. Just my 2 cents
    I'd have to agree with you, OEM usually/generally means that you are paying more for a generic (GE manufactured or something like it) but has the OEM name on it...

My 2 cents also...

Don't forget hi temp bearings

I've had good luck with taking the old motor to the motor shop in town and having it re-done. I saved the customer hundreds on the cost of that Hobart motor for his potato peeler
    If your not part of the solution, You must be part of the problem