Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    if there is a door switch on the unit then it should be replaced
    if for some remote reason something were to happen and it was jumped out who is responsable
    it is a safty and should be there
    i know of two stories where the owner jumped it out and the door fell off and people died.
    the switch should be replaced with out any discussion

I'm sure I'll get blasted but why worry about it?

Not to long ago an attorney posted on this board representing the family of someone that was electrocuted during a service call. The HO had bypassed the door switch and the "tech" failed to kill power to the unit and somehow killed himself, so naturally the attorney wanted to blame the manufacture

I have never seen a residential electric air handler with a blower door safety switch in 12 years, not even one, and I have worked on just about every manufacturers air handlers from all time periods...
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

I only take care of 2 places with electric and they dont have the switches.

IU take are of alot of gas and only the old ones dont have the switch.

I'm fairly new but I thought the safety aspect was so the blower wasnt pulling the combustion air from the flame and causing roll outs or downdrafting. Same reason we dont have return air vents in the same closed room as the furnace

Re: Re: Re: Re: Saftey

Originally posted by casturbo
    Oil furnaces such as Thermopride and Hallmark have never used a door switch. Both units are well known, well respected and of course, both UL approved. Maybe gas units are more safety orientated, so those units might be required to have a switch. I don't do gas, so I don't know.

I've never installed an oil furnace so I will assume you are right. I've installed hundreds of gas and everyone of them came with the safety swicth. The furnaces I've done service work on without them have all been older models.

Hey CT2- I remember that lawyer post- that's right, the BD safety was jumped out, just like we are talking about here. I can't believe the space taken up on this one-I'll line up w/those who say to not alter the protective device. That would definitely void the warranty and liability of the mfr.

We find door switches missing or by-passed all the time. And most of the time a service tech was the one who left it that way. Our policy is to treat it as a hazard and cap it off. There have been untold posts here on the hazards of hx cracks and the vast majority treat them as death at your doorstep. Probably there is more of a hazard leaving a blower door off on an upflow furnace than a cracked hx. I have seen more problems with co with doors off than cracks. I am not trying to minimize cracks only my observations. I quess after having been on so many service calls over the years I kinda look at it "what will I gain from leaving something bypassed and what can I loose from leaving something bypassed". Always thinking of the customer. Also remember the old Tappans had the door switch in the low voltage circuit.

mike3 you hit it on the head
    alot of techs do bipass the door switch and dont go back or just dont worry about it
    true or not i have been told by most manufactures at training seminars that most cracks in hx are small and with the positive pressure of the blower dont poss as much of a danger as we assume. yea right like i believe them
    that is why lenox gave a free co detector on all pulse inspections 4 years ago
    but no dout if the door falls off or is knocked off there nis a real danger there if the switch isnt or fails to turn the furnace off. one time about 3 years ago gass co. when on a call of funny odor in house door was off and fumes were being pull in to the blower. called first aid and took the family to the hospital ofcoures they turned the furnace off because they coulnt find the door and told the father to get it fixed asap. family came home a few hours later it was cold out and the father turned the unit back on next day they were all dead. now the gas co turns off and locks the metter till the problem is repaired
    oil units dont seam to require door swithces dont understand why but most dont have them

Originally posted by rimek
    .... I can't believe the space taken up on this one-I'll line up w/those who say to not alter the protective device. That would definitely void the warranty and liability of the mfr.
    I'm no lawyer (thank the Lord!), but liability in my opinion would depend on whether or not the door switch is considered a safety device. If it were a convienance item, bypassing it is harmless. The manufacturer would know if the door switch was put there by them to adhere to some code requirement. Is it a UL requirement by chance? Seeing that basically no oil furnace has them, but gas units typically do, this might suggest both considerations. Maybe it's a hard-line requirement on gas units, but only a luxury item on other fuel burning units?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123