Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Post Saftey

Originally posted by casturbo
    Door switch?....yeah right, just bypass it.

Young service techs might not have the experience of arrivng to a service call to find the wiring harness burn't to a crisp becasue a homeowner chagned the filter but didn't get the door properly installed. The blower pulled the heat/flames out and cause some major problems, poor combustion, high levels of combustion by products entering into the home.

That is why on all new FAU using combustion for heat you will find an interlock saftey switch to prevent this.[/u]

It's a saftey device and nobody shuld even suggest that it gets by-passed. Get the model & brand of your furnace and provide it to who ever you call , arrange for a annual service and while their there they'll have the part to replace, shold be very expensive if pa[u]rt of a annual service.
    AllTemp Heating & Cooling

I don't think our Furnace has a diognostics board.
    Actually our service people came out before the heating season for the saftey inspection and did not fix it.

Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan, Canada Occupation:Interprovincial Plumber, Commercial Gasfitter Interests:
    Originally posted by mark beiser

In my opinion the switch is a relic left over from the days of standing pilot natural draft furnaces.
    With todays furnaces that all have forced combustion and electronic ignition and safety controls, the blower safety switch is not needed, and is just another, often very anoying, piece that can fail.

The problem is that if you have a water heater or other appliance tied into the same venting, you can downdraft through the other appliance without tripping the safetys on the furnace.
    It is a SAFETY device. If a tech leaves it disabled, they own all the liability on that appliance.

But you are right, they can be a major pia.

[Edited by rich pickering on 04-02-2005 at 02:11 PM]
    I love my job, but paydays Thursday

Originally posted by rich pickering

The problem is that if you have a water heater or other appliance tied into the same venting, you can downdraft through the other appliance without tripping the safetys on the furnace.
    It is a SAFETY device. If a tech leaves it disabled, they own all the liability on that appliance.

But you are right, they can be a major pia.

Point well taken. Around here everyting is in attics or sitting in a closet by itself, so I kind of lost sight of the big picture.
    It is very rare that I see a furnace and hot water heater together in a closet anymore, and I don't think I have seen a furnace and hot water heater vented together more than a handfull of times in the last 12 years.

There are many different applications and the safety controls have to be included to cover all of them.
    Forgive me if I still don't make a big deal of a stuck blower safety switch on a furnace in an attic or alone in a closet though.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

Our Furnace+Water Heater are vented together and they are located in a small (not closet size) utility room. We are already using the A/C here so when the tech comes for the spring inspection, I will ask him to fix it.

Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan, Canada Occupation:Interprovincial Plumber, Commercial Gasfitter Interests:
    Originally posted by york_hvac
    Our Furnace+Water Heater are vented together and they are located in a small (not closet size) utility room. We are already using the A/C here so when the tech comes for the spring inspection, I will ask him to fix it.
    Give him make and model when you call, most techs don't carry door switches.

[i]

Point well taken. Around here everyting is in attics or sitting in a closet by itself, so I kind of lost sight of the big picture.
    [/B]
    I'm lucky, we have no furnaces in attics

The flip side of that is I never have to work in crawl spaces, or shovel my way out of the driveway in the morning. I also only own 4 pieces of winter clothing.

[Edited by mark beiser on 04-02-2005 at 05:45 PM]
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

Re: Saftey

Originally posted by AllTemp

It's a saftey device and nobody should even suggest that it gets by-passed. ....
    I still contend it is not a safety device, rather a convenience item. If it were a safety device, all units would have them.....but they sure don't. And, consider that air handlers (which have no combustion going on inside whatsoever) routinely have blower switches.....what for? See what I'm talking about? I guess you'll have to site a code number to convince me (I'm not nitpicking really though).

Re: Re: Saftey

It's a saftey device and nobody should even suggest that it gets by-passed. ....
    I still contend it is not a safety device, rather a convenience item. If it were a safety device, all units would have them.....but they sure don't. And, consider that air handlers (which have no combustion going on inside whatsoever) routinely have blower switches.....what for? See what I'm talking about? I guess you'll have to site a code number to convince me (I'm not nitpicking really though).

No, I don't see what your talking about. All new units do have them. What I see is a safety swicth on every new furnace and air handler. It is so people can't put their hands in the compartment when the fan running. Name one newer make and model that dosn't have one.

Re: Re: Re: Saftey

Originally posted by supremehvac

No, I don't see what your talking about. All new units do have them. What I see is a safety swicth on every new furnace and air handler. It is so people can't put their hands in the compartment when the fan running. Name one newer make and model that dosn't have one.
    Carrier Fan Coils

I don't think any of the Carrier fan coils have any interlock switches on any of their panels.

At least no the ones we curently use such as the FE4,FV4,FB4
    AllTemp Heating & Cooling

I think what it comes down to is that if there is an OEM switch, if someone bypasses it or neglects to repair it, it will bite that person in the ass if someone gets zapped, chewed up, or whatever, takes it to court and the fingers start pointing. It's all about liability, and keeping out of the legal system.

Re: Re: Re: Saftey

Originally posted by supremehvac

....It is so people can't put their hands in the compartment when the fan running. Name one newer make and model that dosn't have one.
    Oil furnaces such as Thermopride and Hallmark have never used a door switch. Both units are well known, well respected and of course, both UL approved. Maybe gas units are more safety orientated, so those units might be required to have a switch. I don't do gas, so I don't know.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast