Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    On our York Furnace, the door switch will not cut the power when the blower door is opened. I'm guessing that it is spring loaded and the spring is stuck. Is it safe to try to repair it myself? Or should I call in a pro?

Thank You for your advice,
    -York_Hvac

Exclamation

I'm sure I'll get blasted but why worry about it? I'd be glad if they didn't even exist. But if you have to ask is it safe that would indicate to me that you are wary of electricity. Just wear rubber boots and always keep one hand in your pocket.
    No Heat No Cool You need Action Fast

hand in his pocket?

holding a ground rod?

my 2 cents!!

In the land of the blind the one eyed man is King! semper fi

You should call a pro, it may have to be replaced. You should turn the power off before you take the panel off to prevent any injury.

[Edited by supremehvac on 04-01-2005 at 07:31 PM]

If it is working I would leave it alone. Unless you want to spend some money. Wait until you have other problems and let them fix them all at once.

If you wait to get it fixed make sure the panel is on good and secure and keep the kids away. The swicth is for safety only and won't effect the operation.

Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan, Canada Occupation:Interprovincial Plumber, Commercial Gasfitter Interests:
    Yes, get it fixed. It is a SAFETY device. The manufacturer did not install it for laughs.
    I love my job, but paydays Thursday

Originally posted by rich pickering
    Yes, get it fixed. It is a SAFETY device. The manufacturer did not install it for laughs.
    Your right they were forced to install it because some idiot got hurt.

other Pros: if one opens the door, eg: kills the power, does the diagnostics get lost?

Most of the time I would say yes. Thats why soem maufactures have that little sight window.

Door switch?....yeah right, just bypass it. It's just another reason for a service call. Strange how only some units have them, while most others don't.

Originally posted by casturbo
    Door switch?....yeah right, just bypass it. It's just another reason for a service call. Strange how only some units have them, while most others don't.

Gee, I want you working on my system.

Now you might do that on YOUR furnace, and I might do that on mine, but to advocate that on a public forum like this is just wrong. You have no idea of the OP's situation, furnace location, or who might have or get access. The funace is now running, the OP should call for service now, or at the least have it fixed when the system is inspected next cooling (or heating) season.

The blower door safety switch on fuel burning furnaces is NOT AN ELECTRICAL SAFETY DEVICE. It is a combustion safety device intended to prevent backdrafting of combustion gasses if the blower door falls off while the furnace is running.

In my opinion the switch is a relic left over from the days of standing pilot natural draft furnaces.
    With todays furnaces that all have forced combustion and electronic ignition and safety controls, the blower safety switch is not needed, and is just another, often very anoying, piece that can fail.

However, the switch is still required to be installed by the manufacturer to get UL and GAMA listings, and I never permanently bypass them. If I find one that is stuck closed, I put a recommendation on my invoice that it be replaced as a CYA measure.

The damn things can be very frustrating when there is an intermittant problem with a furnace and no way to see the diagnostic codes with the door in place. I think the most frustrating ones are on stuff like Rheem/Ruud furnaces where they have a relativly sophisticated self diagnostic setup on the control board, but NO WAY TO ACCESS IT WITHOUT KILLING THE POWER TO THE BOARD. The newer units may have changed, but Rheem/Ruud furnaces have always been anoying because the diagnostic lights on the control board are are hidden by the blower door AND a cover over the control board compartment. Some other brands are like that too.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast