window air condtioner problems-- when to replace

My wife manages an 80 unit motel in Idaho. This summer is hotter then normal so some of the window units are not keeping up. At what point do you replace them?

Do the compressors go out or do they develop leaks? I am thinking that the cheaper units may not be worth paying for much service. Am I wrong?

As a minimum the motel maintenance staff washes out the condensers and filters.

If a window shaker is not doing as well, likely dirty. Is the maintenance man removing from the wall, taking apart and washing the condenser (outside) coil each year? Likely not. Those get so dirty since they are often wet and attract dust that comes through them.

Since they are so cheap these days, they are getting close to disposable. If maintenance doesn't have time to tear down and wash, replace it.

Remind her that hot guests write negative reviews on the trip sites!

I watched Hotel Impossible last night in a Billings MT oldie. They had a chiller from the 60s that kept the room temp 85 in 1 complaint and there were many. If I read that, I'd never stay there

Sounds like you are talking about PTAC (package terminal air conditioner) units not window shakers. They must be pulled and chemically cleaned (and lubed if equipped) before the cooling season to get maximum efficiency out of them. Also ensure proper air filtration is in place and kept clean.

This is the Ask Our Pro's forum. In order to post a response here, you must have verified qualifications and have been approved by the AOP Committee. You may ask a question by starting a new thread.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Additional infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.
    Last edited by jpsmith1cm; 10-24-2012 at 06:15 PM. Reason: non AOP member

Starwarsith88HVAC

This is the Ask Our Pro's forum. In order to post a response here, you must have verified qualifications and have been approved by the AOP Committee. You may ask a question by starting a new thread.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Additional infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.