Thread: stetsonw you are joking correct?

Post Likes
    I am not in HVAC.

You are joking correct? So you come into an HVAC forum where HO's are talking to professionals that make their living in HVAC. The rules are no DYI.

The not so funny thing is these men and women went to school, somce the school of hard knocks, have taken tests and are certified to do the work. Including the EPA tests for freon. Which makes me feel good they are following the law. This is how they make their living. And I am yet to see one post where they are soliciting business unless someone asks for a referral.

Would you email a Doctor and ask for directions on how to remove your tonsils? The tools are all available even on Ebay. You could always go for a check up when finished.

I have owned rental property and you can deduct the install just like stated. It sounds to me like you are cheap not frugal but cheap.

I recently had two heat pumps installed by a licensed contractor. My brother in law who totes and fetches for an HVAC guy said come on we can do this ourselves. Buy the equipment for wholesale off the internet...find someone to startup up...save money. Excuse me but NO WAY.

I did have a couple of issues after install. Guess what? A friendly call to the installer and he was here and made everything right. I also sleep good and comfortable at night knowing me and my family don't have to "sweat" because I wanted to be cheap. Also, I have a solid warranty.

Also, please don't wash that oil into the land. The USA and world is becoming a cesspool and we all have to live on the planet that we have.

So my advice is to hire someone. Do your homework, get references but hire someone. In the long run you will have less headaches and a warranty.

Post Likes
    i like this guy

Post Likes
    So my advice is to hire someone. Do your homework, get references but hire someone. In the long run you will have less headaches and a warranty.

He is very smart too...
    Get payed for your skills not your Brawn.............

Post Likes
    I think you may as well be talking to a wall with this guy...
    How tall are you Private???!!!!

Post Likes
    Hey Guys,

I'm actually working for the professional that's installing this unit in my place. These guys are friends of mine, licensed and I indeed have a warranty. And yes, they are being paid fairly they say, especially for my free labor. They even say that I'm the best apprentice they've ever had because I understand and learn quickly. I guess I ask good questions.

I am not washing oil into my yard. I don't know where you got that from. I certainly didn't say that. That sounds like an inference. The place is black from 65 years of exhaust/soot. It's not thick, just light discoloration on the wall behind the old furnace. No oil on the floor whatsoever.

I'm not messing with freon, electricity or gas. I'm running copper tubing, wires and pipe and letting them sit there at their termination points as instructed by my "boss." I'm sealing the ductwork and insulating it. All connections are being done by the professional. I know my limitations. Is that not what you pros have your newbie apprentices start off doing for you?

Now for the responses I got. I asked for your thoughts and I got them. Actually, I appreciate the sincerity and truthfulness (and humor) and please keep them coming. I am not offended at all. If I was, then I guess I'm not mature enough to be here and don't deserve any responses at all.

Thanks folks! If I have any further questions, I'll ask (like any of the other newbie installers on here).

Post Likes
    Good luck with it Stetsonw, I am on your side.

(Oracle DBA, Solaris / Linux sysadmin and hardware guru).

Post Likes
    I'm kind of lost... If your working with a professional, why are you asking questions on the internet? Ask the professional you've contracted with. If he doesnt have the answers, he might just not be as professinal as you think (that is if he even exsists).

Post Likes
    Thanks for the encouragement, dogturd! I'm an AIX and Linux cluster guru and recently doing intrusion detection for AT&T.

Post Likes
    docholiday,

Just because I have chosen to diversity my sources of information, it does not make my professional installer fictitious. Just about everyone here comes onto this site to do just that, get diverse opinions.

Post Likes
    Hey DOC!

I don't like diverse opinions!!!!

I like the right answer.And how to get it.Just thought you sould know:}
    Seems to me that when you are reading this post you are paying attention.You know thinking to much.I mean just because the friends are pro's......Sometimes when your
    "friends" are pro"s you BETTER get on the internet to find out what to do and how to do it.Because his friends are pro"s he has this much trust.And I think more insulation will fix all the problems he's having.At least thats what "MY" pro friend said!!!:}}}
    41GASMAN

Post Likes
    For the month of April I have diverse opinions on sale at my website. They come in a grab gag of ten. They are written by professionals from all walks of life. As a special note of interest each one contains an official opinion from Dr. Phil.

http://www.Imacheapskate.com

Special sale price $1.99 or three for $5.00

Please no dealers.

Limited supplies 35,000. When there gone there gone

Act fast
    No Heat No Cool You need Action Fast

Post Likes
    I consider myself to be a professional.I am on here all the friggin time getting anwsers to questions.Most of the time,the questions are ones that I didn't even think to ask.I've also found that just because answers are different.....doesnt always mean one is wrong.
    Go RCR!

Post Likes
    Point taken, but as for me and my house, we will hire people who know what is right especially in such simple dilemas and one I can trust to find out the answer if he doesnt have it. I dont see any reason to pay someone else, and then have to chase after the answers for myself and fill him in as he goes.

Hell I dont know it all either but I know enough to be a true professional because if I am being paid to do a job, I understand that it is my responsibility as a professional to make sure its done right by finding the solution, not leaving it up to the homeowner to figure out for himslef.

Post Likes
    I run service.After hearing the symptoms and answering any questions.I usually like to not have the homeowner too involved in the repair process.
    Go RCR!

Post Likes
    stetsonw
    maybe i lost something somewhere. on your first post you explained how you were going to do the job your self
    then asked about the ductwork in t he house. told how you want to do the drains and other things. ok now you have friends doing it and you are just helping them
    amazing what a few beers can do. so my question to you is simple. witch is it. the first post or this one.
    i go along with doc. get some real help before you get in to deep and it costs a lot more to fix
    diy is a good thing dont get me wrong but it like anything else has its place. hvac isnt the place. sorry
    i need a new septic system. yea i can dig a gaint hole fill it with stones and walla its done. i called a septic guy gave him 4000 $ and done i needed a shower valve and i called a plumber piad him and it works
    i could have done it but i am not a plumber my point is get get someone that does it for a living and sit back have a beer and enjoy

Post Likes

Intrusion detection ? kewl stuff

Stetsonw, thats kewl stuff...are you just getting into this area, or have you previous in-depth IP experience? One of my buddies is a CCIE...man I would luv to have his job...work 4 hours a day, 9 months a year and bring home $150k.

Post Likes
    Folks,

My contractor friend gave me a good deal to do it all himself and me getting out of his hair (I ask too many questions and want to know too much). I couldn't turn it down, so I'm out of the loop on this install until it's done. I'll keep you posted.

Dogturd:
    I've been into intrusion detection since 2000. Did it for IBM for the Olympics and Wimbledon, both very hostile hacker environments because of the large audiences if there is a successful hack. It's a fun job. Been into AIX/Unix/Linux since 1993. IP network experience came as a side-kick to the above.

The rest of us:
    I'd love to take you for a spin to install a large scale multi-million dollar system one day. I'm sure I can get you top at least understand what's going on and how we can balance the CPU and memory sizes and data throughput without high sawpping and high CPU utilization which in the HVAC world, would equate to high static.

Like I said, LOTS of similarities in the industries when you start doing the more serious stuff (not Best Buy PC's and window units) ;-)

Post Likes
    Stetsonw, nice jorb dude. I gave up AIX in 1999 when I switched jobs and went to a Sun site. Man I missed AIX, so much easier to use, but Solaris 10 is supposed to be sweet. I also did 10 years AS/400, but I am not looking back on that..

Right now I am sticking with Oracle DBA, Oracle ERP sysadmin and Unix sysadmin, plus the regular stuff.

What is the status of your furnace install now?

Post Likes
    Gave up on doing it myself or helping contractor. Letting him do it all ............. We'll see in a couple days ;-)

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in