Question on Filter location
    Hi Gang,
    Long time since my last post.
    I have seen some home central units with the HI side filter located just before the EX valve.
    Digging through several sources I can't verify this is the best location.
    However wouldnt the refrigerant see the filter as a drop in pressure and start to boil away?
    If my thoughts on this are true then it would make the EX valve act wacky.
    Open for suggestions,advice,etc.
    Vegas/

Thats what subcooling is for and there shouldnt be a significant pressure drop unless the filter drier is full of crap.

Anywhere in the liquid line is fine but indoors by the evaporator is best IMHO as a last catch for the metering device (that and its a painted steel peice which you will not have rusting issues inside).

Thumbs up

Hello Doc,
    Thanks for responding.
    As long as I been doing this work I never cut open a filter to see whats inside.
    OK,
    As long as theres no pressure drop thats good and no chance for freon to start to boil away before it hits the valve.
    As always responses from the pros here are much appreciated.
    Vegas/

Vegas

As long as I been doing this work I never cut open a filter to see whats inside.

I have seen some home central units with the HI side filter located just before the EX valve.
    Digging through several sources I can't verify this is the best location.
    However wouldnt the refrigerant see the filter as a drop in pressure and start to boil away?

didnt they explane all of that in the tech school you went to? didnt your school books show a cut away and describe its contense and function?

the HI side filter. A real serviceman would know the correct name for the "hi side filter" you are asking about