Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Oh you did'nt know, its not racist that only applys to black
    people.

The way it looked on my screen alltemp wasn't being brainless. He was talking to steve wiggins the way I see it. Putting a twist on wiggins

Nothing like a friday night crowd to start something huh.
    If you try to fail, and succeed.
    Which have you done ?

We can only do so much for free....

yes, thats why I asked him if I accept his bid, will they come out and do the Manual J and Manual D. He didn't even know what I was talking about.

12 SEER more than 14 SEER

Well, of course its more. That I would expect. But tens of thousands of dollars more?

When the furnace alone costs more than a complete system. it really isn't a matter of 12 or 14 SEER.

Look, I don't expect a free ride. I would have no problem with someone coming in and saying "Your system is going to be between x and y dollars, depending on the size we determine. You are going to need duct work, the minimium I see is x dollars, but we will know more after we complete the Manual D." The guy would have the job on the spot.

I am not going to dictate whether I want R22 or 410a, I will go with whatever the tech is comfortable working with.

When you tell someone right up front that you are not making your decision on price alone, that the quality of the install is your most important issue, and that you are willing to do what is needed to get that good install, you would expect them to concentrate on solving your problem, and not just giving you back what you had.

Doesn't look like thats the case very often.

I have my hopes set on 2, possibly 3 contractors who were smart enough to consider a 2 zone system, with seperate units for each zone.
    When I find one I feel has a grip on the situation, I will work with them to get the equipment sized right and ductwork sized properly.
    It shouldn't have to be this way.

I just had the home depot "guy" come out and give me the estimate. I had 5 contractors out to give me estimates to replace my furnace and ac. Only 3 gave me bids, the other 2 bids were to be here on wednesday and here it is friday. The home depot guy was professional, courteous, experienced. He spent the 2nd most amount of time in my house and went over all the options. His bid on a trane system was a cheaper than the other bids (which were all carrier).

Just my 2 cents

It should be up to you weather it's a 12 or 14,
    an r-22 or 410a.

Not the guy selling to you or the guy turning the wrench.

I like watching dogs chase their tails.
    If you try to fail, and succeed.
    Which have you done ?

If someone does a manual d calculation on your existing duct system...how are you going to know they did it right ???

Do this...get in an hvac contractor. Get them to make a detailed drawing of your complete system..making note of the boots, the type of takeoffs used, the way the fittings are made...90 ells with straight throats , whether or not turning vanes are used, radius ells or square ells etc.... get an exact drawing with sizes of your complete duct system. make copies for yourself. Then decide on a piece of equipemnt....it must be the same for all calculations.

Then...give a copy of your drawings along with equipment info and any added accessories and have three contractors do a manual d on the set up.....

then come back here and post your findings

It's not home depot its the company who installs the
    system. I worked for a Trane dealer and we had the local home depot leads. We did very good work and our prices were reasonable.

Bill Kurry

Post Thanks...

Originally posted by Toolpusher
    The way it looked on my screen alltemp wasn't being brainless. He was talking to steve wiggins the way I see it. Putting a twist on wiggins

Nothing like a friday night crowd to start something huh.
    You got that right, even Wigger knew it was directed to him...
    AllTemp Heating & Cooling

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12