Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thumbs down

Just got a bid from Home Depot’s rep for Trane for a new HVAC system for my 2200 sq ft home. Existing system is a Payne, 100,000btu furnace, with a 4 ton blower and 3.5 ton coil and condenser. All ductwork is plastic flex, installed in the basement and attic, with the exception of the transitions and branches, and the chase going from the basement to the second floor. The basement and attic are unconditioned spaces. There is a 14’inch line for the return; there is only 1 14x30 return at the base of the stairs to the second floor. After the tech from the company Home Depot uses looked at the system, he came up with this recommendation
    Replace all plastic flex with metal flex and install dampers for balancing 6 ducts downstairs. No additions or changes, all duct is out in the open and accessible.
    Resize return to 16 inch and vent to 20x30.
    Add one supply vent to bonus room next to unfinished basement. Two walls fully exposed on basement side, save for insulation.
    Second floor, replace all exposed plastic flex duct in attic with flex metal, add one supply vent to loft area fed off existing trunk in attic, all work areas exposed and accessible. Four existing vents, will be five when finished.He didn't have an answer to the undersized supply problem to the second floor
    Equipment to be:
    1 80% 2 stage variable speed nat gas furnace
    2 14 SEER condenser and coil
    3 1 electronic air cleaner
    4 1 new line set
    Now here’s the good part:
    For his “better” system, consisting of all Goodman equipment he wants $way too much
    For his “best” system he wants $even more way too much
    Now, he made all decisions with a lot of coaching from me, asking about how we improve the airflow and all.
    After I review his bid, I ask him if somebody is going to come out and do a Manual J and Manual D before we order equipment.
    He got this “deer caught in the headlights” look and asked me “What’s a Manual J?
    I told him that a Manual J is the calculation of proper equipment size based on construction and load, and that Manual D was the calculation of correct duct sizing. He goes, “Well, I can do a heat load, I have the sheet here somewhere.”
    He looked thru his papers and couldn’t find it.
    So then he says that he will match any price on a like install, and I pull out the bid for the exact same thing he is quoting and its half of his Trane bid A bid I thought was a bit much, seeing as I also have a bid for replacing like for like with new Carrier equipment at 80% and 12 SEER for a third of that. Now the one third price is less than Home Depot wants for the Goodman Furnace alone without any labor.
    So if you want a real laugh, go to the Home Depot web site and see what they and Trane have to say about how they will evaluate your house and all. Then call them for the real thing. If my experience is any indication, they will not resemble each other at all.
    Now, I am not looking for the cheapest bid, I just want a good system that will last. I know the old install is crap, and needs work. The major problem is airflow to the second floor loft, and subsequent stratification. I have given everybody who looked at it the same info, and told them the same thing, that is, let me know what its going to take to fix this, I am open to anything. The answers I am getting are all over the place, I was hoping that Home Depot’s contracted installer would do what the ads and Trane say they would do, that is, evaluate my situation and give me a solution.

When I looked into what home depot was doing ...... I RAN!!!
    first they want the dealer to go to "THEIR SCHOOL" for a day or two to find out how to sell "Their Trane Stuff"... 800 I think was what it cost to sell for them. Then the dealer has to sell a certain percentage for "them"... Now I ask you..... Why would I want to sell their stuff which is MY stuff...... and pay them to do it? More customers I guess....... well I just figure NOT to sell their stuff.....
    Goodman is the "high end" stuff???
    Wow thats a good one.....
    everybody knows there is no substitute for Trane...
    I have people that have had Trane's and they will usually request Trane only bids...... Seems the Goodman consumer, usually wants a different brand...... go figure

Who In their right mind is going to go to Home Depot in the first place for HVAC Installers, Common Sense would dictate that there is more mark up going thru 3 middlemen rather then dealing with a contractor one on one, go figuire some ppls logic.
    Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat. (President Theodore Roosevelt)

People do it out of convenience. They can put it on their home depot charge and not pay interest for a year.
    To put the world in order, we must first put the nation in order; to put the nation in order, we must put the family in order; to put the family in order, we must cultivate our personal life; and to cultivate our personal life, we must first set our hearts right.
    -- Confucius

I'll give you a somewhat related Home Depot story. My son spoke with an elderly widow in his neigborhood who told him she had Home Depot put a new composition shingle roof on her house last year. I won't mention price but it was approximately 2.5 to 3 times what a reputable local contractor would have charged (I know because I just received roofing bids for my house). The roofing contractor is from a town 100 miles away and now she can't get them to come back and fix all the leaks.

I know it's not illegal, but when you see it up close and personal it does seem pretty close to immoral.

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Originally posted by atascadero kid
    Just got a bid from Home Depot’s rep for Trane for a new HVAC system for my 2200 sq ft home. Existing system is a Payne, 100,000btu furnace, with a 4 ton blower and 3.5 ton coil and condenser. All ductwork is plastic flex, installed in the basement and attic, with the exception of the transitions and branches, and the chase going from the basement to the second floor. The basement and attic are unconditioned spaces. There is a 14’inch line for the return; there is only 1 14x30 return at the base of the stairs to the second floor. After the tech from the company Home Depot uses looked at the system, he came up with this recommendation
    Replace all plastic flex with metal flex and install dampers for balancing 6 ducts downstairs. No additions or changes, all duct is out in the open and accessible.
    Resize return to 16 inch and vent to 20x30.
    Add one supply vent to bonus room next to unfinished basement. Two walls fully exposed on basement side, save for insulation.
    Second floor, replace all exposed plastic flex duct in attic with flex metal, add one supply vent to loft area fed off existing trunk in attic, all work areas exposed and accessible. Four existing vents, will be five when finished.He didn't have an answer to the undersized supply problem to the second floor
    Equipment to be:
    1 80% 2 stage variable speed nat gas furnace
    2 14 SEER condenser and coil
    3 1 electronic air cleaner
    4 1 new line set
    Now here’s the good part:
    For his “better” system, consisting of all Goodman equipment he wants $way too much
    For his “best” system he wants $even more way too much
    Now, he made all decisions with a lot of coaching from me, asking about how we improve the airflow and all.
    After I review his bid, I ask him if somebody is going to come out and do a Manual J and Manual D before we order equipment.
    He got this “deer caught in the headlights” look and asked me “What’s a Manual J?
    I told him that a Manual J is the calculation of proper equipment size based on construction and load, and that Manual D was the calculation of correct duct sizing. He goes, “Well, I can do a heat load, I have the sheet here somewhere.”
    He looked thru his papers and couldn’t find it.
    So then he says that he will match any price on a like install, and I pull out the bid for the exact same thing he is quoting and its half of his Trane bid A bid I thought was a bit much, seeing as I also have a bid for replacing like for like with new Carrier equipment at 80% and 12 SEER for a third of that. Now the one third price is less than Home Depot wants for the Goodman Furnace alone without any labor.
    So if you want a real laugh, go to the Home Depot web site and see what they and Trane have to say about how they will evaluate your house and all. Then call them for the real thing. If my experience is any indication, they will not resemble each other at all.
    Now, I am not looking for the cheapest bid, I just want a good system that will last. I know the old install is crap, and needs work. The major problem is airflow to the second floor loft, and subsequent stratification. I have given everybody who looked at it the same info, and told them the same thing, that is, let me know what its going to take to fix this, I am open to anything. The answers I am getting are all over the place, I was hoping that Home Depot’s contracted installer would do what the ads and Trane say they would do, that is, evaluate my situation and give me a solution.
    Sounds typical.

Try calling contractors,telling them in advance that you want it designed right,Man. J and Man. D,so you don't waste each others time.

Where are you located,chances are good ,one of us can reccommend someone that will do a great job?

I live in Atascadero, CA on the central coast. its just north of San Luis Obispo, midway between LA and SF. We just recently bought this house, a 2200 sq ft 3 bedroom custom built home on 5 acres.
    I have had six people look at my system, and what my problems are. Basically, the HVAC system was designed for heat, and even though the AC system was part of the original build, it was definitely an afterthought. The house is two story, with 2 bedrooms and a large loft space on the second floor. The loft opens to the first floor on two sides. there is a cathedral ceiling in the loft and bedrooms. the north wall is all glass, double pane. The south walls in the bedroom are 3/4 glass double pane, midwall to ceiling (top of roof pitch). All the air for this space comes up from the basement thru a 6x10 supply, which branches in the "attic" (a small sized space above the stairway and bathroom) to plastic flex duct. There are four vents upstairs, 1 in each of the bedrooms, one in the bathroom, and one down low on the wall in the loft space. loft is 18x20, ceiling is approx 12 feet at peak.
    As you can imagine, all the hot air from downstairs rises into this space. Not as much a problem in winter, but in summer its miserable. the only return for the system is one 14x30 in the entryway at the bottom of the stairwell.
    now, even I know you can't get enough cold air up here to overcome the natural convection with the existing ductwork.
    But what I don't get is the fact that I have had to hand hold everybody thru this. I see only 2 reasonable solutions here. Either open up the walls and run new/more duct, or put a second unit in the attic space. The second unit is the one I think will be the best.
    I have told everyone that I am not looking for just the cheapest bid, I want my problems solved. if we have to tear open walls, then so be it. I plan on being in this house until they carry me out feet first, so lets get it right. I am waiting to hear back from the other 3 contractors, it will be interesting to see what they come up with.
    So far my range of bids has been 3.5g to 20g.
    Not very confidence inspiring.

Originally posted by atascadero kid
    I was hoping that Home Depot’s contracted installer would do what the ads and Trane say they would do, that is, evaluate my situation and give me a solution.
    Sorry guy but we can only do so much for free.
    "And remember my sentimental friend......that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others" - Wizard of Oz.

You could

[i] [/B]
    Sorry guy but we can only do so much for free. [/B][/QUOTE]

Pray for him Wigger...
    AllTemp Heating & Cooling

I see wigger has a diif meaning over on the west coast then
    it does over here in the east.

Did i see something no-one else did or am i just not looking at this as it was meant ?

Your priced,
    1 80% 2 stage variable speed
    2 14 seer a/c and coil
    3 electronic air cleaner
    4 new lineset
    w/ duct changes

Then you say you have a price of an 80% and 12 seer, that is much less.
    DAAAAAAAAAA !

80% 2stage vs and 14 seer
    should be alot more then a 80% & 12 seer air.
    Atleast mine are.
    If your going to compare prices then compare same equipment, No wander your all over the place.

If you try to fail, and succeed.
    Which have you done ?

Midwest too...........
    No Heat No Cool You need Action Fast

So what is up with the RACIST signature?

>Pray for him Wigger...
    >__________________
    >AllTemp Heating & Cooling

Hey AllTemp, are you trying to drum up business with the frequently overlooked "Aryan Nation" demographic?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast