mcs 4000 Comtrol rack controller
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

mcs 4000 Comtrol rack controller

hi all
    Anyone ever change out a screem for one of these ? Just curious to how this is done? Is it easier to just change out the door? Any replies are thanked in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by jaybee View Post
    hi all
    Anyone ever change out a screem for one of these ? Just curious to how this is done? Is it easier to just change out the door? Any replies are thanked in advance.
    There are many different versions of the screen. ComTrol does not recommend field repairs of the screen. Even though I have done it with spare parts, I have to agree with ComTrol on this one. Change out the door.
    "Don't wish it were easier, wish you were better"

[QUOTE=thefreezerguy;9103331]There are many different versions of the screen. ComTrol does not recommend field repairs of the screen. Even though I have done it with spare parts, I have to agree with ComTrol on this one. Change out the door. :y

Can u elaborate on how these two things are done??

[QUOTE=jaybee;9103601]
    Quote Originally Posted by thefreezerguy View Post
    There are many different versions of the screen. ComTrol does not recommend field repairs of the screen. Even though I have done it with spare parts, I have to agree with ComTrol on this one. Change out the door. :y

Can u elaborate on how these two things are done??
    anyone?????

Comtrol recently got bought out. Partly from Danfoss. Danfoss will support the c-webs but heard the 4k and 4k2 might be a little tricky for future repairs. Also heard Danfoss is making there controller software friendly to comtrol boards. also heard E2 can also be software friendly. Lots of new work up ahead. lol

Quote Originally Posted by -frozen-ocean- View Post
    Comtrol recently got bought out. Partly from Danfoss. Danfoss will support the c-webs but heard the 4k and 4k2 might be a little tricky for future repairs. Also heard Danfoss is making there controller software friendly to comtrol boards. also heard E2 can also be software friendly. Lots of new work up ahead. lol
    wow..I haven't heard that one....why won't they (comtrol) die already

[QUOTE=jaybee;9104381]

anyone?????
    Jaybee, I didn't mean to be vague. We do a lot of work with ComTrol systems. We have a lot of old doors laying around do to being removed for one reason or another. We have been sending the ones back for repair that need screens. The flat rate repair is much less than a new door. I think its $300-$400. Not sure what type of support will be available later this year???
    Anyway, with all the parts, I have tried to take a good screen and install it in a unit with a bad screen. Usually has lines going through it and makes it hard to read. Is this what you're issue is? I have found that there are different variations of screens throughout different vintages of the controllers. With that said, I did replace some that looked identical to each other. One worked out ok, others had characters misplaced and the lines were jogged around. Not sure if it is due to different drivers, etc.
    With all that said, I HAVE NEVER PUT A DOOR THAT I CHANGED THE SCREEN ON BACK IN SERVICE. I did this to experiment and played around with them to see if this could be a viable repair to save some $$$. I do not have a lot of confidence in using one with the results I have had. I hope that helps.
    I do not know where you can get new replacement screens, I have never tried. ComTrol will not sell them as far as I know.
    As far as removing the screen. Just unscrew the board off of the door and unplug the keypad ribbon. Turn it over and there it is.
    Like I was saying, Kind of a waste of time after what I have found messing around with this.

Good Luck
    "Don't wish it were easier, wish you were better"

[QUOTE=thefreezerguy;9106801]

Jaybee, I didn't mean to be vague. We do a lot of work with ComTrol systems. We have a lot of old doors laying around do to being removed for one reason or another. We have been sending the ones back for repair that need screens. The flat rate repair is much less than a new door. I think its $300-$400. Not sure what type of support will be available later this year???
    Anyway, with all the parts, I have tried to take a good screen and install it in a unit with a bad screen. Usually has lines going through it and makes it hard to read. Is this what you're issue is? I have found that there are different variations of screens throughout different vintages of the controllers. With that said, I did replace some that looked identical to each other. One worked out ok, others had characters misplaced and the lines were jogged around. Not sure if it is due to different drivers, etc.
    With all that said, I HAVE NEVER PUT A DOOR THAT I CHANGED THE SCREEN ON BACK IN SERVICE. I did this to experiment and played around with them to see if this could be a viable repair to save some $$$. I do not have a lot of confidence in using one with the results I have had. I hope that helps.
    I do not know where you can get new replacement screens, I have never tried. ComTrol will not sell them as far as I know.
    As far as removing the screen. Just unscrew the board off of the door and unplug the keypad ribbon. Turn it over and there it is.
    Like I was saying, Kind of a waste of time after what I have found messing around with this.

Good Luck
    Yes this is the problem with the screen, Thanks

And when you change the door you just unplg the key pad ribbin remove the door and replace??
    Also do you know who is the best person in danfoss to spefk with on comtrol issues the knowlege there is very limited.

CPC has an E2 controlling Comtrol hardware in a store somewhere in Cali and has asked my shop to do the same for them in a Safeway in Western Canada. Looks like a great alternative to me. I'm curious if this will allow the old Comtrol boards to be slowly replaced with CPC boards as needed? We have more info on the way.

comtrol to e2

Quote Originally Posted by mspanky View Post
    CPC has an E2 controlling Comtrol hardware in a store somewhere in Cali and has asked my shop to do the same for them in a Safeway in Western Canada. Looks like a great alternative to me. I'm curious if this will allow the old Comtrol boards to be slowly replaced with CPC boards as needed? We have more info on the way.
    im dealing with this conversion in one of the stores i service.For some reason the circuts that are set to thermostat to terminated defrost all terminate prematurely.Had to change to case temp or time to get a proper defrost. any new info yet???

Interesting! Hopefully they publish their findings!
    Sig removed by mod. G-Rated site

thank heavens my safeway accounts out here are replacing their crapped out Comtrol with E2's and not making a hybrid

With E2s in the stores I'll finally be able to take boxes of 4K, 6K, and CWEBs out to the shooting range. Emerson does the alarm monitoring in this area for Safeway, no guessing what they would prefer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast