+ Reply to Thread

Thread: automatically start a kitchen hood system

Post Likes

automatically start a kitchen hood system

What do you guys use? Captive Aire supplied a in-duct switch that closes at 85°. It's a little pricey, i was looking for a less expensive alternative.

Any suggestions?

Post Likes
    Not s.ure exactly what you're referring to but usually I see just a simple on/off switch. You might have a control that turns the system on and off based on temperatures from cooking equipment that only runs when equipment is on. That would save utility money that would more than pay for the expensive switch

Post Likes
    Have you thought about using a line voltage thermostat - like Johnson Controls? Don't know if it would be cheaper than your switch, but will definitely work.

Post Likes
    look into Melink Intelli-Hood systems or something along those lines, they use temp sensor(s) and a set of optics and a vfd to control it. easy to use and install. offers great money savings too

Post Likes
    The hoods should be turned on when the equipment is started for the day. What exactly are you trying to accomplish?
    Mark

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by maninblack View Post
    The hoods should be turned on when the equipment is started for the day. What exactly are you trying to accomplish?
    IMC 507.2.1.1 states Type I hood systems shall be designed and installed to automatically activate the exhaust fan whenever cooking operations occur. The activation of the exhaust fan shall occur through an interlock with the cooking appliances, by means of heat sensors or by means on other approved methods.

Currently we get a vulcan cal-stat from Captive Aire that is installed in the grease duct and turns the system on when it reaches 85°. This item is a little pricey from Captive Aire and i'm looking for a more cost effective alternative. I'm just curious what other people use.

Post Likes
    I would stick with what the manufacturer sells. That hood has a UL listing. I don't think NM goes by that code.
    Mark

Post Likes
    How bout heavy smoke and less than 85

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Miller257 View Post
    IMC 507.2.1.1 states Type I hood systems shall be designed and installed to automatically activate the exhaust fan whenever cooking operations occur. The activation of the exhaust fan shall occur through an interlock with the cooking appliances, by means of heat sensors or by means on other approved methods.

Currently we get a vulcan cal-stat from Captive Aire that is installed in the grease duct and turns the system on when it reaches 85°. This item is a little pricey from Captive Aire and i'm looking for a more cost effective alternative. I'm just curious what other people use.
    here you can't use anything else unless you can prove it's ul listed for grease and high temp hoods. we had a couple of kitchen contractors install Honeywell remote bulb thermostats tied to relays. inspectors would not allow it.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Miller257 View Post
    What do you guys use? Captive Aire supplied a in-duct switch that closes at 85°. It's a little pricey, i was looking for a less expensive alternative.

Any suggestions?

The Captiveaire hoods I have worked on run all the time due to pilot flames maintaining a nice warm temp under the hoods. What a stupid set up.

What did you end up doing?
    "I aint going to spit on 30 years of my life" Monte Walsh

Post Likes

Hmm

if you have the standard captive UL listed heat sensor system with PLC'S just reset the control to a higher temperature so that hood MUA EXH only come on when main burners are on. ( personally I set mine at 115 degrees)

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ACFIXR View Post
    The Captiveaire hoods I have worked on run all the time due to pilot flames maintaining a nice warm temp under the hoods. What a stupid set up.

What did you end up doing?
    The stat is adjustable

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Ovenguy View Post
    The stat is adjustable
    Thanks.............Now i can suggest that they be raised, 85 degrees is pretty low, the things run all of the time.

"I aint going to spit on 30 years of my life" Monte Walsh

Post Likes
    Just hook an open on removal of power time delay relay onto the on/off switch of the equipment.
    In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm, and three or more is a congress. John Adams

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary. H. L. Mencken

"Life's tough......It's even tougher if you're stupid."
    -John Wayne

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in