heat pump air handler

We had a heat pump and air handler install in our building in 2007 and have had a lot of problems, the lastest being we had to replace the compressor. The company that fixed the compressor said that the manufacturer would not warranty the new compressor because the heat pump is a 5 ton and the air handler is a 4 ton. They recommended that we replace the heat pump with a smaller one to match the air handler. My question is does this sound reasonable and would it be better to replace the air handler rather than the pump?. Here is what we have now: American Standard model 4A6H6060B heat pump and model 4TEE3F49B air handler. From what I have read it sounds like if the heat pump is larger then it could cause problems with the compressor. Thanks for any advice.

Welcome to the site,

That isn't a good match you have and it will damage the compressor, besides it will not work properly.

You need to have someone do a load clac to see what size you need and then move forward.

Good luck,

The statement below is my signature and just my overall feeling towards our industry and does not necessarily pertain to you nor this thread.

There really isn't a legitimate excuse for not doing the job correctly!

Quote Originally Posted by gpalfrey View Post
    We had a heat pump and air handler install in our building in 2007 and have had a lot of problems, the lastest being we had to replace the compressor. The company that fixed the compressor said that the manufacturer would not warranty the new compressor because the heat pump is a 5 ton and the air handler is a 4 ton. They recommended that we replace the heat pump with a smaller one to match the air handler. My question is does this sound reasonable and would it be better to replace the air handler rather than the pump?. Here is what we have now: American Standard model 4A6H6060B heat pump and model 4TEE3F49B air handler. From what I have read it sounds like if the heat pump is larger then it could cause problems with the compressor. Thanks for any advice.
    That is an AHRI rated matching system

That is not a 4 ton air handler, it is multi capacity variable speed, and is rated for use with that outdoor unit

Find another contractor with a clue, the compressor should be covered under warranty

Print this out and show your contractor

also, that system has specific installation requirements, make sure whoever works on it is familiar with the 16's low voltage wiring, which differs from all other models, and that they verify that it is correct
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Swampfox View Post
    That is an AHRI rated matching system

That is not a 4 ton air handler, it is multi capacity variable speed, and is rated for use with that outdoor unit

Find another contractor with a clue, the compressor should be covered under warranty
    The 065 AH would have been a better choice, but as said above there is absolutly nothing wrong with that matchup.
    Make your expertise uniquely valuable.

Make your influence uniquely far-reaching.

conflicting information

I'm still not sure if the air handler will work with the heatpump. Here is what American Standard sent me: Thank you for visiting our website. We do not show the heat pump as a rated match with the air handler referenced below. However, the limited warranty does not state it must be a matched combination. We will warranty the compressor as a limited warranty (parts only).

There is a concern about reliability, if this is not a matched combination that could be the cause of the compressor failure.

Your dealer will need to consult with their local American Standard Field Service Rep for assistance.

Ater the post from Swampfox, I found that the airhandler is a variable speed and will work with a 5 ton pump. I'm getting conflicting info about this and need some sort of firm answer so I can either replace the unit or have someone look at the existing one and make sure it was installed correctly. Not sure who to beleive.

That is the same setup I have in my own home. The disadvantage is it does not have the same airflow capabilities as the 65 air handler, but it will fit where the 65 air handler will not. There is nothing wrong with this setup.

Gentlemen,

This is the welcome forum, not a technical forum.

This discussion would be better in the Residential HVAC forum.

Quote Originally Posted by k_fridge View Post
    Gentlemen,

This is the welcome forum, not a technical forum.

This discussion would be better in the Residential HVAC forum.
    Opps, sorry

K Fridge, Sorry about that. Is there a way to move my post to the Residental HVAC forum?. Thanks.

K Fridge, Sorry about that. Is there a way to move my post to the Residental HVAC forum?. Thanks.
    Admin has asked us not to.

You might repost the question there. In the Arpa Zone section, Residential HVAC.

I'm still not sure if the air handler will work with the heatpump. Here is what American Standard sent me: Thank you for visiting our website. We do not show the heat pump as a rated match with the air handler referenced below. However, the limited warranty does not state it must be a matched combination. We will warranty the compressor as a limited warranty (parts only).

There is a concern about reliability, if this is not a matched combination that could be the cause of the compressor failure.

Your dealer will need to consult with their local American Standard Field Service Rep for assistance.

Ater the post from Swampfox, I found that the airhandler is a variable speed and will work with a 5 ton pump. I'm getting conflicting info about this and need some sort of firm answer so I can either replace the unit or have someone look at the existing one and make sure it was installed correctly. Not sure who to beleive.
    believe the AHRI certificate I posted, if its listed there, its a match