I've owned my home for a little over a year now and it has central gas heating with a closet that holds the heater.
Some problems have risen since using it this year. A few that have made me turn off the pilot light and keep it switched off.
Here are the problems starting with the most problematic.
1. The heater will heat up to whatever I set it to (IE: 71F degrees), then the flames in the heater turn off but the blower keeps blowing. The only way I can get it to stop is if i pound on the heater itself. Turns right off.
2. When the temp starts to drop and it senses to turn back on again, i hear the flames turn on but I hear something ticking maybe 4-5 times then the blower turns on. Various times I will hear it tick 4 times followed by a BANG sound then the blower turns on.
I have shut everything down and have since been using a electric plug in the wall heater. I've called a repairman in to come over next week but since I found this awesome site I figured i'd ask the pros and see if I could fix this puppy myself.
Thanks in advance.
Regarding fixing this thing yourself, I have one word for you. Ready? Here it is:
have shut everything down and have since been using a electric plug in the wall heater. I've called a repairman in to come over next week but since I found this awesome site I figured i'd ask the pros and see if I could fix this puppy myself.
By what you describe, you have some serious furnace issues that MANDATES an investigation by a qualified pro.
- Electricity makes refrigeration happen.
- Refrigeration makes the HVAC psychrometric process happen.
- HVAC pyschrometrics is what makes indoor human comfort happen...IF the ducts AND the building envelope cooperate.
A building is NOT beautiful unless it is also comfortable.
Hi Erik, It sounds like a bad combination fan/limit control. Have the repair man check the heat exchanger for cracks and also check for carbon monoxide. Im sure the repairman will check the sequence of operation several times and note any problems. Please let us know what he finds. Good luck!
"Politicians are the lowest form of life on Earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician"
- General George S. Patton