Hybrid View

Question

I live in South Carolina. We're looking to buy our first home. The home we like is 3 BR, 1 1/2 bath, living room and eat in kitchen. It has no air conditioning. About how much (approximately) would it cost to have central air installed?

The owner is willing to add central air, but we want to know approximately how much for negotiation purposes.

Thanks!

[Edited by bigbravesgirl on 03-31-2005 at 12:21 PM]

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    The "rules" here prevent pricing questions,or should I say answers.

Call around locally to get a "ballpark" figure,or get an actual "on site" estimate.

I'm sorry. I just wanted an approximation. I didn't think that would break the rules. My apologies.

I'll break the rules with a ballpark but it will have to be so wide to be usable it won't be much help. If ducts are in place and properly sized & designed and the furnace is ready to go, you could range from $2000-2500 for a 2 ton 10 SEER up to $5000-6000 for a higher SEER larger unit. Just too many variables to give you any kind of accuate guess. Call a local contractor to look at the house. Whatever you do, don't let the seller have it done. He'll pick the cheapest equipment and the cheapest hack to put it in. Get the money from him and you choose who does it & what equipment.

Thanks Loonie. That's what we were thinking we'd do. We just needed a ballpark figure to work with negotiations. He has offered to fix the pool liner too. I'd rather have that done myself too.

Thanks again!