Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

York YP8C vs YPLC furnance

Hi everyone. I am a newbie here. My current furnace is 10 years old and I am getting bids on heat pump + 80% furnace configuration from a couple of installers in town. Both of them carry York products. Both bids have the same heat pump and coil, but on is YP8C 100K BTU and the other is YPLC 120K BTU and there is a big price gap between the bids.

I searched here on this forum and on the Internet but I can't find the differences between YP8C and YPLC. Does anyone know the differences between them? Thank you very much.

Quote Originally Posted by litster View Post
    Hi everyone. I am a newbie here. My current furnace is 10 years old and I am getting bids on heat pump + 80% furnace configuration from a couple of installers in town. Both of them carry York products. Both bids have the same heat pump and coil, but on is YP8C 100K BTU and the other is YPLC 120K BTU and there is a big price gap between the bids.

I searched here on this forum and on the Internet but I can't find the differences between YP8C and YPLC. Does anyone know the differences between them? Thank you very much.
    The YPLC is just the low-NOx (low nitrogen-oxide emissions) version of the YP8C. I believe the YP8C is out of production now but they are still making YPLC. They are both 80% furnaces, the same except for the additional emissions equipment on the YPLC.

You should really get a Manual J heat loss calculation to see what size you actually need. Something is wrong if one is proposing 100k and one is proposing 120k. And you should get a Manual J heat gain calculation to use for sizing your heat pump.

Thanks Gary for your quick reply. I am in the Seattle area. Both bids include the York Affinity YZH060 heat pump. I was under the impression that the heat pump will be doing most of the heating and the furnace is in a supporting role. My current furnace is a 120K BTU unit, though. In a heat pump/furnace configuration, could the furnace be a little weaker?

The installer with the 120K BTU bid said the difference between YPLC 100K and 120K BTU is less than twenty bucks. Does it sound right? The price difference between the bids are over a couple grands, which leads me to think that some other parts maybe different between the bids. Could the modulation configuration account for the difference? I can't get a straight answer from the installers...

Thanks!

Thanks Gary for your quick reply. I am in the Seattle area. Both bids include the York Affinity YZH060 heat pump. I was under the impression that the heat pump will be doing most of the heating and the furnace is in a supporting role. My current furnace is a 120K BTU unit, though. In a heat pump/furnace configuration, could the furnace be a little weaker?

The installer with the 120K BTU bid said the difference between YPLC 100K and 120K BTU is less than twenty bucks. Does it sound right? The price difference between the bids are over a couple grands, which leads me to think that some other parts maybe different between the bids. Could the modulation configuration account for the difference? I can't get a straight answer from the installers...

Thanks!
    When you can't get straight answers from your installers that's a wanring sign.

You are correct in that the furnace is backup heat. The heat pump will likely handle most of the heating unless it gets really cold.

Do not size a new furnace based on the size of the current furnace, rather by Manual J heat loss calculation only.

The price difference between the 120k and the 100k is not relevant, only the correct size for you house matters.

HINT: Drop me an email to the address in my profile, I have some other relevant info for you.

Thanks Gary, will reach out to you at your email address. Thanks.

Northwest Arkansas via Chicago Area via Straight Up from There on Lake Superior
    Where are you, what size house do you have and have you had a Manual J done? The HP sounds like 5 tons and the 120k furnace is big too. I have a good size house with a new York duel fuel that uses only a 4 ton HP (replacing 4 ton split AC) and 100k NG furnace and both of them seem too large because of the short cycles either runs.

Quote Originally Posted by jerryd_2008 View Post
    Where are you, what size house do you have and have you had a Manual J done? The HP sounds like 5 tons and the 120k furnace is big too. I have a good size house with a new York duel fuel that uses only a 4 ton HP (replacing 4 ton split AC) and 100k NG furnace and both of them seem too large because of the short cycles either runs.
    Hi Jerry. I am in the Seattle area. Both installers came by and did a lot of measurements before submitting a bid. But I didn't do a Manual J myself. The house is around 3700 sq. ft. with 2 floors and a basement and lots for shades from tall trees. The YZH is a 5-ton HP. One of the installers said that if I go with 97% efficiency furnace then going 100K BTU could work. But if we use an 80% furnace then 120K BTU is needed. What seems crazy to me is that the installer say the price difference between 100K and 120K BTU 80% furnaces is less than $30!

Both bids have the same furnace, heat pump, coil, t-stat. The only difference is the cheaper quote has a 100K BTU YP8C furnace, a previous-generation York electronic air cleaner; and the more expensive quote has 120K BTU YPLC furnace, and a York Hybrid electric air cleaner. That should not account for the $2K price gap.

I think I should go with the cheaper quote, but they don't carry the new York hybrid eletronic air cleaner. I would like to keep the air cleaner the same brand as the rest of the system.

litster - Both the YP8C and YPLC are 80% furnaces. Why is one company proposing a 100k and one is proposing 120k? Did either one give you the actual calculated heat loss?

Quote Originally Posted by garya505 View Post
    litster - Both the YP8C and YPLC are 80% furnaces. Why is one company proposing a 100k and one is proposing 120k? Did either one give you the actual calculated heat loss?
    No, neither did. They measured all the windows sizes, counted all the air outlets and returns, did some calculation, and gave me the bids.

No, neither did. They measured all the windows sizes, counted all the air outlets and returns, did some calculation, and gave me the bids.
    On the coldest day, how long does the current furnace run?

In Seattle, only a few days in a year that we go below freezing. Most of the time it is between mid 30s to high 40s during winter. We keep our indoor temp fairly low, around 65 degree and it is mostly off when we are asleep. I don't know how often the furnace is on, but for sure it doesn't run all day long. If I have to guess, it runs maybe 6 to 8 hours a day.

In Seattle, only a few days in a year that we go below freezing. Most of the time it is between mid 30s to high 40s during winter. We keep our indoor temp fairly low, around 65 degree and it is mostly off when we are asleep. I don't know how often the furnace is on, but for sure it doesn't run all day long. If I have to guess, it runs maybe 6 to 8 hours a day.
    So, on the coldest day, your 120k furnace is running at most about 33% of capacity. That means it's grossly oversized, and the new one will be too, unless you get an accurate load calculation.

Oversizing is epidemic in the HVAC biz.

Northwest Arkansas via Chicago Area via Straight Up from There on Lake Superior
    Litser, I'm not a pro but my house is almost exactly the size and similar in config (2 floors. no basement) of yours. I am in NW AR which is probably hotter and colder than you yet you need a ton more of HP. Please do not buy into the 120k is only x $$$'s more. Like I said, my 100k furnace seems oversized even though it can deliver only 80% * 100k or 80k. Make 'em prove to you that you need all of that capacity. Believe me the comfort will improve and probably the wear and tear on the short cycling system too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast