Outside unit 3 ton Trane XL19i, Inside unit 040 Trane Variable Speed air handler. Stat is 302C 2-stage. No humidistat. in cooling, air handler seems to run at 100% regardless of Y1 called for vs. both Y2/Y1. Shouldn't it ramp up/down 50-80-100-80-50 right?
    DIP 5/6 "On".
    LVTB has W1-W2 Jumper and R-BK jumper. Is R-BK jumper correct for Comfort-R? Another Jumper (R-O or YLO-O needed?)

There is a sticker on the blower housing telling you where the dip switches need to be set depending on the size, desired cfm per ton, blower timings, etc.
    The blower timing dip switches are #5 and 6. I believe they both need to be on for Comfort-R.
    If your system is a heat pump, no jumper is needed between O and Ylo. If it is straight AC with electric heat or a gas furnace, you need to put a jumper between O and Ylo for Comfort-R to work correctly.
    The jumper from R to BK is factory installed.

If you want Comfort-R to work in the heating mode, go ahead and put the jumper in between O and Ylo, but do not connect O from the thermostat or the outdoor unit to the O terminal in the indoor unit. Wire O from the thermostat directly to O to the outdoor unit.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

In addition to mark's comments, the 302C is factory configured for 1 heat / 1 cool. Has this setting been adjusted per the installation manual?

I think 302C is right, Y1 and Y2 activate separately as indicated by different LEDs on the DIP board.

Trane 19i doesn't energize y1 and y2 at the same time. Ylo enrgizes then after 10 minutes it drops out for around 45 seconds and then the Yhi is energized. Also make sure you've got your Ylo and Yhi wired correctly because it sounds like you going straight into Yhi.

The thermostat will keep Y1 and Y2 energized. So, both lights will be energized on the control board. As a matter of fact, the ODU won't run without both Y1 and Y2 present at the ODU. You are confusing compressor operation with low voltage signals.