I'm building a new house with WaterFurnace model-E36 Premier E system with dehumidify mode. Will it be more energy efficient than the Therma-Stor model 135 dehumidification system. I don't know if I can disable the option on main unit.
    I'm not a HVAC person, just would like to know what the pro's think. Thanks

Originally posted by ac4me
    I'm building a new house with WaterFurnace model-E36 Premier E system with dehumidify mode. Will it be more energy efficient than the Therma-Stor model 135 dehumidification system. I don't know if I can disable the option on main unit.
    I'm not a HVAC person, just would like to know what the pro's think. Thanks
    My estimate, 13 SEER ARI a/c @75^F,50%RH 85^F outside temp. est. 10 btus/watt, 8 sensible, 2 latent,-- 2,100 buts latent removal or 2 pints per KWH requires 325 cfm of 52^F, 95%RH cold air supply per ton of a/c.

Ultra-Aire 135H removes 5,250 btus, 5 pints of dehumidification per KWH and returns 8,600 btus of free reheat.

Typical latent load from 4 occupants, 50 cfm of 70^F dew point of fresh air infiltration/ventilation, and moisture diffusion throught the structure is 80,000-110,000 btus latent load /day or 70-100 pints moisture load per day.
    A 3 ton a/c removes 6,300 btus of latent or 6 pints per hour of cooling or 6 pints. 12-14 hours of cooling will remove the latent moisture load and provide <50% RH inside the home. On a cool rainy day like 70-75^F, the a/c will not run but the same latent load will build causing high indoor %RH. On these days, the UA 135H set @ 50%RH operates 14-18 hours to remove the 70-100 pints of latent moisture load. The reheat from the UA 135H may cause the a/c to operate which also removes some latent load.

IN summary, I suggest setting up the a/c to remove enough moisture to maintain <50%RH on hot days of significant load. During days of minimal or no a/c load, the UA135H operates when the indoor %RH exceeds 50%RH. To conserve energy, when the house is unoccupied for the extended hours, the a/c t-stat should be set up or a/c turned off, allowing the UA135h control %RH at a fraction of the operating cost of a/c.
    Using the deep dehumidification mode of an a/c over-cools the home which is uncomfortable, waste energy, and causes condesation in walls, on a/c ducts and grills. Days of high moisture on these cold surfaces grows mold. Thanks for the tug on my chain.

Nice post Ted.

Our local utility's moisture guru would agree. He maintains all the fancy controls & 2 stage A/Cs alone isn't going to maintain a dry house, especially on days like you point out, mild & rainy, when the A/C doesn't run or has to overcool.

The Aprilaire or Thermastor dehumidifiers are the answer.

Dehumidifiers are also rated for pints or liters of dehumidification per kwh . The residential dehus remove 1-2 pints per kwh, similar to a/cs. The best residential dehus are listed with EPAs "Energy Star" @ http://www.energystar.gov/ia/product..._prod_list.xls
    The Aprilaire is 3.3 pints per kwh. Ultra-Aires are 5 pints per kwh.