Hey Everyone! Great website please read!

Came across this website while searching the net for hvac information. First would like to thank you all for having a website like this which i think is a great tool for learning and getting information on this trade. I signed up because i had some questions regarding HVAC. My name is Markus im 22 years old i live in Toronto, Ontario Canada. I currently completed the Gas Technician III Theory Course which was distant education course online (CD-ROM) which was self quided and directed no teacher. I did this with George Brown College in Toronto. I'm just confused because I have wrote the gas fitter 3 exam twice now, first time i got 72% which i was upset because i know you need atleast 75. And now the second i got 51% that i just did again December 14 2010. I'm completely shocked at the result and how i could go from 72 to 51. I stuided the code book so much i know all the clauses and definitions and also the most important in Pipe Sizing and also venting. The basis of the course pretty much covers properties of natural gas & propane which ive studied along with the basic eletrical work and pipe sizing and venting ( understanding BTU and sizing from the meter to gas valve, and so forth from the supply line along with the branch lines of too multiple gas appliances. So basically i was just wondering if there was anyway that i can get information on where i went wrong on the tests. Theres so much to know that i feel alot of isnt relevant to a fitter III that has no experience, but i know that's TSSA and they want that. I was wondering pretty much if i could find out where i went wrong so i can correct my mistakes as i feel the only way you can learn from a mistake is if you know what you did wrong. I've completed 2 tests now from TSSA and i know theres 4 versions of the test i was even wondering if they're going to let me write again. I feel i struggled the most because i didnt have any guidence or instructions from a teacher and was all self guided by a CD. I feel that this is a great trade an opportunity to have a stable career because everyone needs heating in the winter and cooling in the summer.

Thank you for taking the time to read over this long thread i know it's alot and i apoligize but if you have any tips for me or could give me any information it would be much appreciated. I'm considering going to the college and signing up to do the course i did at home at the college with a teacher and instructions, but if there was some way of finding out what i did wrong on the tests so i can correct myself i would rather write the test again if TSSA will let me and save myself 1000$.

Markus.

Welcome Markus,

Have you tried asking those you took the test from if there is a way to know what you missed?

The statement below is my signature and just my overall feeling towards our industry and does not necessarily pertain to you nor this thread.

There really isn't a legitimate excuse for not doing the job correctly!

Yes i did, they told me TSSA will contact me with a letter regarding my test based on my % that's all. And i completed the test on dec 14th 2010 and its now jan 18th 2011 and havent heard anything from TSSA or a letter. it just shows the goverment will bug and show concern when they want something from you but when its the other way around they have no intent or caring on your situation. That's why i was wondering if any of you know of someway of finding out.

When I took my block, which has been awhile, I thought a person could pay some money and they would tell you your weak areas. I got a 70.9 my first try
    And went back the next month and got an 83. Not bad sine I did not go to any real school, just a couple of training courses and learned from the guys on the job.

Well, good luck to you and see you around

The statement below is my signature and just my overall feeling towards our industry and does not necessarily pertain to you nor this thread.

There really isn't a legitimate excuse for not doing the job correctly!

Hi 1MB,
    Not sure if I understand what you are looking for. Don't you have an idea of what questions you found difficult, and what areas you need to work on? I think this approach will get you the best results.

If you are just asking for general test-taking tips & advice, I guess I can throw out a couple of suggestions. I am not familiar with the test that you are trying to take, but I will assume it is open book, as most code tests are. I have found with an open book test, it is much more helpful to know WHERE to find the information in your books than to actually memorize the data. For any data tables, it is important that you understand how to read them, and this may be causing a problem for you if you did self-study. If you think you understand the table, but you are wrong, how would you know?

And lastly, I have noticed the math skills of most of the people in our industry are piss-poor. Please don't be insulted, I don't know if it is true of you. But if it is, you have to admit it & work on it. Again, I am not familiar with your test, so I don't know if math applies, but I have conducted classes where the kids couldn't convert 3% into a decimal or re-arrange a formula. And while I realize you may never need to do this math in real life, you sure as hell need it to pass some of these tests. So if this is you, swallow your pride & find a friend to tutor you in basic math.

Good luck!