Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    We are growing by leaps and bounds and having a hard time finding good employees. We've done the newspaper ads and it seems like you get every tom, dick, and harry thats out there calling you even if they have no good hvacr experience.

My question to you all is how do you find people when you need to hire? What has worked for you and what hasn't? And how much money should I really spend trying to find a couple good people?

Thanks for all your input.

You might try your local HVAC programs at the community colleges or post flyers at the hvac wholesalers. You can also look at monster.com
    "Politicians are the lowest form of life on Earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician"

- General George S. Patton

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Try an Ad on this site ,as well!

Jeff, where are you located. What newspapers have you been advertising in? I've been looking in the St. Paul and Minneapolis papers and don't recall seeing your ad.
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy.

What has worked best for me is:
    1. I keep an ad in HVAC agent-it's about $1100.00
    2. Once every month or 2 I run an ad on Sunday only, in the newspaper. The paper requires an add-on of Career Builder for 30 days.

So in the end I have 2 computer sources and one print source for resumes. I still get lots of under qualified applicants. But, I screen thru them all and have had fairly good results. It does require some patience.

[Edited by Linden Swanson on 03-30-2005 at 06:06 PM]

patience

Yes, Linden, and patience I am running out of! Thanks for your input, though.

However- what is the "it's about" in your statment "1. I keep an ad in HVAC agent-it's about"??

I have looked at HVAC Agent and MEP at Work and I Hire building trades. I can't decide if I want to spend my money there.... do you think it's worth it? Has it worked for you?

And markco I'm in St. Cloud. Have advertised in the St. Cloud Times and ran a couple ads a while back in the Startribune. Also tried the little local sun papers.

Are you looking for a job?

Ooops! I fixed the post.

I have had success with MEP for sales and management, but not techs. I've had better success for techs with HVAC agent. I don't have any experience with I hire building trades.

Yes, I think it's worth the money. With the kind of exposure I have now, I've really raised the bar on my minimum hiring standards.

I had this conversation with a colleague in the Los Angelos area. After months of fruitless searching, he adapted HVAC agent and the occasional newspaper ad. They have filled 3 spots in the past month.

I really sympathize with the patience. I have been very aggravated in the past.

I'm speaking as one of the under-qualified applicants.I'm nearing graduation from a trade school.I've spent around $20,000.00 and put my heart into learning as much as possible, but obviously that doesn't mean much to an employer needing someone with experience NOW. I chose this field partly because this industry IS experiencing a shortage of qualified workers. Employers in this industry have to be willing to train. A diamond in the rough shouldn't be passed up by an employer.

Grodan

I agree a diamond in the rough shouldn't be passed up. At least you have some schooling behind you which is a plus. I'm sure there are companies out there willing to hire entry level guys willing to learn. And hopefully when we catch up with demand we will be able to also. It's just hard when you are in a pinch and need someone to step right in. We just don't have the time to train a newbie. But I wish you well in your job search and hope you find something soon. Just make sure you let those guys you are applying with that you really are a diamond in the rough. Someone will give you a shot sooner or later.

Re: patience

Originally posted by jeff_gohman
    Are you looking for a job?
    Yes I am. Kind of hard to find one this time of the year. Too bad St. Cloud is so far away from me, otherwise I'd apply.
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy.

Thanks Jeff.I've been getting interveiws-have one tomorrow-and I'm sure I'll get hired.I just hope and pray I don't get in with a garbage company. Some places are head & shoulders above others.I'm lucky in that the interviews I've been getting our excellent companies, and I'm sure one of them will give me a try 'cause all I tell them is I will be very happy to start at the botton-type of work and type of pay- and only ask for a chance to prove myself. I feel sure I will do well and I will be treated well after I get experience.I will know when I'm valuable enough to demand more money and if current employer dosn't want to give it, there surely will be others who will.I'm excited about the future 'cause I know if I get very good, I'll be more sought after than a pretty gal at closing time!

Smile

Good news! I found a company that puts out a program on finding quality people and it works. Not only does it teach you the trade secrets of professional recruiters, it also teaches you how to find the best people. Thier site is http://www.oryangroup.org. I highly recommend them.

QUESTION FOR YOU

MY QUESTION FOR YOU IS HOW DO YOU FIND A GOOD COMPANY TO WORK FOR THAT WILL PROVIDE STABLE WORK, WITH GOOD PAY AND BENEFITS AND ALSO MANAGEMENT THAT RESPECTS THE EMPLOYEES? MY HUSBAND IS A GREAT EMPLOYEE. A LEAD GUY WITH A LOT OF EXPERIENCE, GOOD PROBLEM SOLVING SKILLS, AND IS VERY DEPENDABLE. IS SEEMS HE EITHER GETS WITH A COMPANY THAT CANNOT PROVIDE STABLE WORK AND DEPENDABLE VEHICLES, BUT A NICE BOSS, OR A COMPANY THAT IS STABLE WITH GOOD BENEFITS, BUT A BOSS THAT DOESN'T RESPECT HIS EMPLOYEES.
    AS FOR AN ANSWER TO YOUR QUESTION: AS A FORMER RESTAURANT MANAGER IT SEEMS ALL YOU CAN REALLY DO IS WEED THROUGH THE TOMS, DICKS AND HARRYS. THEN MAKE SURE TO KEEP THE GOOD ONES HAPPY SO THEY STAY WITH YOU. MY ADVICE IS TO SPEND LESS MONEY LOOKING FOR THE EMPLOYEES AND SAVE IT FOR THE INVESTMENT THAT IT TAKES TO WEED THROUGH THE LAZY, IRRESPONSIBLE ONES. WE ARE IN OREGON AND FIND THAT WITH THE HIGH UNEMPLOYMENT PEOPLE ARE APPLYING TO ANYTHING AND EVERYTHING THEY CAN EVEN IF THEY HAVE NO EXPERIENCE OR DECENT REFERENCES
    GOOD LUCK TO YOU

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast