return / returns

I have a ranch that is approx 1200 sqft , i have forced hot air / ca and I have 2 air returns in the hallway, one in the ceiling that i believe is 26x14 and then one in the wall in the floor in the same area that is 14x14 all of my duct work runs through the attic, my thermostat is also in the hallway, my question is should i be closing the ceiling return in the winter so it does not suck all the hot air out of the house and then in the summer close the lower one, my filters are also in both returns, i am just trying to make my house more comfortable / energy eff and not sure if this is possible or will help.

thanks

that is probably how it was designed to work but you may not have enough return to do that without harming the equipment

thats what I am afraid of, I actually just noticed yesterday that the 14 x 14 return is not sealed, I always knew that it ran on the outside wall in my hall closet, but it is not sealed from the wall itself it not only is sucking air from the house, but its is sucking all the air in the wall attic and crawl space, I put spray foam at the bottom of the wall yesterday and i am going to put a 2x4 above the return and foam it so that it is only sucking air from the house

Spray foam is not approved for applicatoin in return air ducts. Best thing I have found for damming is ductboard and mastic

returns/returns

like was mentioned the system was designed that way. I have designed heating systems with return air both from celling and floor. that way you have an even mixter of air. I would leav it like it is. dont seal anything off. you will restrict air flow.
    it sounds like they used the the chase way as the RA duct. instead of runing metal duct. in the old days you could do that. maby some contractors still do. but in local mach. cod. here in my area you have to run metal duct for RA plenums all the way to RA grill.
    a stupid question is a question you wont to ask, but don't

I have the metal duct, it runs on the interior of my closet, then thay have a hole in the inside clset that is the opening for the air duct return which in turn they have an opening on the outer wall of the closet which is where the return cover and filter are located so not only is it sucking the air from the house (hallway), but it is sucking all the air in the wall cavity also and that is what i want to seal off

Quote Originally Posted by cwasilak View Post
    I have the metal duct, it runs on the interior of my closet, then thay have a hole in the inside clset that is the opening for the air duct return which in turn they have an opening on the outer wall of the closet which is where the return cover and filter are located so not only is it sucking the air from the house (hallway), but it is sucking all the air in the wall cavity also and that is what i want to seal off
    That def needs sealing. If it is leaky there who knows where else it is leaking. Sounds like you're a good candidate for a home energy audit. www.comfortinstitute.com

now I see what you are saying. if it drawing air from a cavaty, then yes it should be sealed. do have photos?
    a stupid question is a question you wont to ask, but don't

no pics ..... I will try and take tonight before and after .... i am gonna attmpt to seal it off tonight, I think at the very least if nothing else the air quality should get a litte better cause it wont be sucking dirty air from the dirt crawl or from the attic