+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New to Controls, please help

Post Likes
    I have spent the last eight years working for a unit manufacturer,and have recently started working for a controls service company. We have aquired a building with inet 2000 system, I cannot connect to the 7806 dial lan through my modem. If I go to facilities off site and connect using there connection everything works okay. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Post Likes
    I am not a CSI/INET expert but I have worked on a few systems and I am wondering "If you are on site why are you trying to connect through a modem?" I've always used my serial cable to connect when on-site.
    "How it can be considered "Open" is beyond me. Calling it "voyeur-ed" would be more accurate." pka LeroyMac, SkyIsBlue, fka Freddy-B, Mongo, IndyBlue
    BIG Government = More Dependents
    "Any 'standard' would be great if it didn't get bastardised by corporate self interest." MatrixTransform
    My 5 yr old son "Dad, Siri is not very smart when there's no internet."

Post Likes
    We have picked up a monitoring contract for this site with a new controls option phase in. Our local CSI rep did not do them justice and asked us to help them. We have other CSI Sites that we can dial into but not this one, without being a partner docs are hard to come across. We believe that controls should be open. Equipment service is open and so should controls. Why should someone be stuck with a poor performing company just because they are the only ones who do those controls.

Post Likes
    I Agree. That's why I like LonTalk so well. Email me.
    "How it can be considered "Open" is beyond me. Calling it "voyeur-ed" would be more accurate." pka LeroyMac, SkyIsBlue, fka Freddy-B, Mongo, IndyBlue
    "Any 'standard' would be great if it didn't get bastardised by corporate self interest." MatrixTransform

Post Likes
    by the way use *******@***.*** for the email.

[Edited by crab master on 04-01-2005 at 04:25 PM]

Post Likes
    Boss,
    Sorry about the email address. I didn't read all of the rules, till now.

Post Likes
    I have learned that, the facility terminal is direct connected to a 78010 host link, which in turn is connected to a 7805 dial link which is then connected to a modem. The dial link is dialing to another modem. They have one site that they cannot connect to but I can directly from my modem. What is the differnce, dialing from a dial link then directly from a modem?

Post Likes
    Crab Master, I have MSN messenger. Addy is my user name at comcast.net.

Post Likes
    don't know CSI very well, but have a lot of experience (mostly frustrating) with modems. You probably have features on your PC modem that were designed for "high speed" dialup internet access, such as data compression, error correction, modem pausing, etc. If it is an older control system (10 years or so), these features will keep you from developing a reliable, or any, connection. Get out your modem documentation and find out how to disable these features. It usually has to be done by entering dial strings to the modem before dialing. Most dialup software allows you to enter these dial strings, and they are usually Hayes AT commands. On mine, we have to enter:
    AT&K0 (kills data compression)
    AT%C0 (kills error correction)

After spending 40 hours monkeying with the dial strings, you will get it to work, then your modem will crash and the new one you buy will require different dial strings.

Long Live TCP/IP and the internet!

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in