I had a Carrier 5 ton A/C split system I was going through for a spring inspection and when I got out to the condensor I could hear the compressor making like a laboring sound and then it would go away.Continuosly.
    I put the guages on and the high side was fluctuating between 225 and 150.Ambient temp was about 58 deg.This is the first time I ever saw this system. It has a piston for an orfice.Suction was about 65 constant.Any suggestions or ideas? Thank you

Did the inside piston size match the outside piston size? what wa the delta "T" accross the coil? Was the inside coil clean? More info would be helpful, without seeing the system and taking readings it's hard to guess what the problem could be.
    "If you can't fix it, don't break it."

Moisture in the system? Maybe previous tech forgot to purge the air out his hoses before checking the charge, or charging. Does the system have a filter/drier?
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy.

non-condensables?
    Karst means cave. So, I search for caves.

58 degree ambient sounds like you have some kind of low ambient control

Interesting.
    I did notice some oil residue around the suction valve area.I checked the shrader valve,good and tight.

bad valves?
    No Heat No Cool You need Action Fast

Im with Kerndt on this one, 58 is no load and unless there is a low ambient control (which is a form of manipulating the HP control) it shouldnt be run. If it did have the low ambient kit, it may be that is working.

Was the OD fan cycling?

Fluctuating head pressure is usually an indication of non-condensables in the system, fluctuating metering or gross overcharge.

Since there was no load and the outdoor ambient temp was so low, my first guess would be it was flooding liquid back to the compressor simulating a gross overcharge.

Take two months (till it warms up) and call us in the morning.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV