Page 91 of 113 FirstFirst ... 4181848586878889909192939495969798101 ... LastLast
Results 1,171 to 1,183 of 1466
    He He , I gotta get my count up guys. I need to ask about a million questions. Thanks for putting up with me for a little while.

I agree with you all the way PHM. When you are poor like me you gotta improvise!

I'm with wrong. Tech school is awesome.I loved getting to learn on equipment where you weren't scared of tearing it up. Also its a lot easier with a teacher. You can always ask him or her if you get in hot water. The real world just isn't like that.

This field is pretty great for people like me. I like to get my hands dirty. I really love fixing things. I really hope I can have a successful business. I'm really intrested in all parts of the field. AC, Refrigeration, even the newer things like geo and solar. I would really love an Mechanical engineering degree, but with two jobs and a family a man just has to keep priorities. Maybe later. Now its pretty nice to turn a buck or two every now and again. PHM I can tell you are the man. Maybe one day I will have it going on like you.

Had another pretty easy one on a ac unit. It was supposed to be a service. I cleaned the evaporator coil with a brush and sprayed some cleaner on it. It did not look bad. When I went outside and took the cowling off the condensor unit it literally had a fur blanket around it. The customers had a dog in the back yard and it sheds big time. You could literally peel the fur blanket off in one piece. Used nu calgon purple to clean the outside coil. Checked for leaks with a leak detector and could not find any. Fixed orifice system charged to superheat. The customer was so used to his system running all the time that he was amazed it acutually cuts off not. I love a happy st0ry.

Check out the field piece sman3 I bought the other day. Looks pretty cool . Wrong, I wish I would have seen the wireless on the sman4 before I bought it , but oh well(prob couldn't afford it anyway) It will calculate the target super heat by plugging in two thermocouples in the front. Man, that gonna save some time. Won't have to look up the charging chart. There is nothing wrong with old school, but convience is worth quite a bit.

Ran into another one today that was strange. The call was that the blower motor would not run. Got to the indoor part and it was a mess. The thermostat g terminal went right into the back of the motor. Ecm motor. First encounter. It was bad. Dang things are expensive.

Well I've been having a house giving me fits with the pan switch shutting off the unit. Found out that it was out of level and was leaking water pretty bad. Had my guys go over there this morning and by about noon they called back. I had to go back over myself and found out when they lifted the furnace to level it, they sat the furnace on the pan switch some how causing it not to come on.

Quick question do you all find it necessary to clean coils with the coil cleaner?

Quote Originally Posted by Wrong View Post
    Hi I've been in the business for 33 years graduated from Oklahoma state tech. (part of OSU) and love the trade. The trade has been very good to me and I encourage everyone to get a AS degree from a trade school. The trade is great security to people who enjoy their work and know what they are doing. I've worked for myself for 31 of the 33 years and still learning. Love the fieldpiece SMAN4 HG3 combo and wireless CFM testing. This trade is pretty simple (most things) for people that study it and I love having knowledge that 99.9% of people have no clue about.
    Do you still work in OK? I'm in Tulsa/Bixby, I love working here in Oklahoma because of the extreme temperatures; however, on new construction the codes here are a joke!

Thats no good.At least you found it. I sometimes use the evaporator coil cleaner. It seems to cut the crud. I like the nu calgon in the green jug. For the condensor coil the nu calgon in the purple jug. The purple stuff is some pretty bad stuff though. You can see the coil start to smoke. Gotta rinse really good!

Had a call this morning where a customer was complaining about a lot of noise coming from the furnace. Crawled up into the attic and pulled about 3-4 handfuls of insulation out of the blower. Thinking that the insulation had the fan out of balance somewhat. When I left the furnace was as quiet as it could be.

Quote Originally Posted by Daddy Cool View Post
    Thats no good.At least you found it. I sometimes use the evaporator coil cleaner. It seems to cut the crud. I like the nu calgon in the green jug. For the condensor coil the nu calgon in the purple jug. The purple stuff is some pretty bad stuff though. You can see the coil start to smoke. Gotta rinse really good!
    Appreciate it man, I may have to try some next week on some service agreements.

Quote Originally Posted by Wrong View Post
    Hi I've been in the business for 33 years graduated from Oklahoma state tech. (part of OSU) and love the trade. The trade has been very good to me and I encourage everyone to get a AS degree from a trade school. The trade is great security to people who enjoy their work and know what they are doing. I've worked for myself for 31 of the 33 years and still learning. Love the fieldpiece SMAN4 HG3 combo and wireless CFM testing. This trade is pretty simple (most things) for people that study it and I love having knowledge that 99.9% of people have no clue about.
    I wonder if trade schools have changed? We find that many around here teach to the test and the kids that come out of them think they know EVERYTHING but can't tell the difference between an A/C and a HP. They wanna make $20 an hour and not have to work over 30 hours a week and no crawlspaces and attics. Oy! the whining! Drives me bonkers. Maybe it isn't the schools. Maybe it's the quality of the students. I almost am at the point I don't want to hire trade school kids! Do you all hire out of high school and train, or hire college graduates? Or given up completely and hire only experienced techs?

Page 91 of 113 FirstFirst ... 4181848586878889909192939495969798101 ... LastLast