Page 71 of 74 FirstFirst ... 21616465666768697071727374 LastLast
Results 1,401 to 1,420 of 1468

Thread: Welcome to all New Guests going Pro? Do not post equipment questions in this forum

Post Likes
    I was working as a Helper for a plumber/steamfitter union, trying to become a member. For 4 years I busted butt, went to all the interviews and was never accepted. My home burned down and I had to relocate to an unfamiliar place and could not get an interview anywhere (2009-2010). Then my VA bennies came and an opportunity to go to school. I chose HVACR. I have a lot of experience in the automotive field and thought I could use my troubleshooting skills in HVACR. Also, as a Helper I got to work with a lot of pipe and enjoyed that to some degree. With HVACR I think I'll get to use all my skills, my big pay will be customer appreciation. In our area, HVACR has a 28% job growth and I like to work. I have been attending MCC/Omaha. On my days off I work part time for a tire shop and a 1-man HVAC Contractor. He does a lot of commercial/residential heating and cooling where I had the opportunity to punch hole in 100yr old homes, drag pipe through muddy crawl spaces inhabited by unknown monsters and freeze my fingers on new installs for rental property. Our local pub was having issues with their ice machine and asked me to check it out, I fixed it. I have a good understanding of the refrigeration side and would like to head in that direction. I graduate (hopefully with honors) May 2014.
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

Post Likes
    Our instructors have us wiring them in our sleep, with each class, thermostats have been discussed either by theory or service issues. My favorite part of them is low voltage.

Post Likes
    Hello everyone new member here! Like everyone else trying to improve my skills to become self employed one day. It's funny how in this field you can know so much and so little at the same time!

Post Likes
    Congratulations! Much respect to your hands on experiences. I learned from my father, been laid off, hired and laid off again but I'm hoping to get my NATE cert soon. Question for you aside from MCC what other education do you plan on getting? I only ask because I like to compare trajectories.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan1042 View Post
    Question for you aside from MCC what other education do you plan on getting? I only ask because I like to compare trajectories.
    Hi Jonathon. This site is perty cool. Good to meet you. Education is the key. But with experience, it all takes time. I've never been to college until now. I'm 51 yrs old. In the beginning, I was just wanting a piece of paper to get my foot in the door. No one would let me in with out it, Partly due to my age I'm sure. But while I was doing my pre-reqs I was doing English comp and we have to write essays. With my first essay, my professor was struck, with what, I don't know. She told me I needed to submit my paper to the MCC original works magazine and I did. I got 2nd place and with that came 9 free credit hours of class. What the heck am I going to do with that? A six pack would have been good for me. So, I decided I was going for a bachelor at UNO when I'm done. Of course, that will take abit more time but I can take a night class or a couple of online course while I work in the field. What do you think?

Post Likes
    Hey guys I am new here. My name is rob and I am a supermarket refrigeration mechanic of four years. And hvac of 3 and for years you guys have been extremely helpful to me. I just wanted tosay thank you. Especially to all you good market guys!!!!

Post Likes

Red face comfort is a right not a privilege

Quote Originally Posted by Eeyess View Post
    Thanks.
    Yes the versatility of this industry is one of my biggest turn ons. I like to feel like I'm actually doing something and it helps not doing the same exact thing the same exact way everytime.
    temperature, humidity and air purity control are an inalienable right of all civilized people. I am not disciplined enough to be a surgeon and save lives, but my duty to my fellow citizens is to make their lives as free from perspiration, and shivers, as is possible so long as they live and propser.

"IN HVAC WE TRUST"

Post Likes
    I would like to say that I am honoured to be among you frontline soldiers in the battle against cold, against heat, against decomposition of food. We struggle so that first world civilization can exist as we know it. We climb the icy ladders, crawl through the cubby holes, push and pull with all our strength so that the brutal forces of nature, of what some may call God, can be reigned in an manipulated so that the living can live lives worth living, in their enclosed spaces and live their dreams, without fear of freezing, without anxiety of starvation, without the discomfort of sweat.

we are HVAC-R......paramedics who serve the living.....and make life worth living.....we may be underappreciated....but we should never be proud....it is our duty

Post Likes
    Coming out of highschool, I had no career path in mind. My dad persuaded me into the hvac program. So there I was, applying for community college (Monroe CC). Picking a major I knew nothing about. First semester, I was denying to myself this isn the field for me. After my first year, I started to realize this trade is really interesting and I started to enjoy going to classes and participating in labs. Everything just clicked one day. The mental challenge, problem solving skills, and hands on work. This was something I wanted to invest and commit my time in. As of today, Ive graduated from the hvac program & newly employed at Kenron Industrial Air Conditioning. Going through training and being exposed to the field has made me more eager to learn and applying material I learned in class.

Im also working on a certificate in Solar Thermal Technology! Focuses on green energy, particularly the sun as a heat source space & water heating. Id figured this would be a great addition to my credentials and great for the future.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by sonic seamer View Post
    I would like to say that I am honoured to be among you frontline soldiers in the battle against cold, against heat, against decomposition of food. We struggle so that first world civilization can exist as we know it. We climb the icy ladders, crawl through the cubby holes, push and pull with all our strength so that the brutal forces of nature, of what some may call God, can be reigned in an manipulated so that the living can live lives worth living, in their enclosed spaces and live their dreams, without fear of freezing, without anxiety of starvation, without the discomfort of sweat.

we are HVAC-R......paramedics who serve the living.....and make life worth living.....we may be underappreciated....but we should never be proud....it is our duty
    What the ? English comp got to you bad! Quick! Chug a beer>

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by htran2011 View Post

Im also working on a certificate in Solar Thermal Technology! Focuses on green energy, particularly the sun as a heat source space & water heating. Id figured this would be a great addition to my credentials and great for the future.
    I needed two credits for an elective and was looking at solar energy. They didn't have one and I was already taking my last 3 classes to get my degree and graduate this spring. I settled for an online class: Keyboard But it is cool to see you here. I've talked with some of the other new people as well, and if this the future of HVACR, the world will be in good hands.

Post Likes
    I have been in the HVAC field for over 20 years. One thing I enjoy about the field is it is always changing, so I am always learning. I am happy to be joining this HVAC TALK forum.

Post Likes

How do you like the field so far?

Any suprises?? i bet a whole lot of scenarios,tell us more and good luck in your new career

Post Likes
    Last week I had to do a power point and a presentation in class for Psych 1120 Human Growth and Behavior. (On a Children's Book) I'll get my grade for that today. When I first started HVACR, I had to learn to relate all theses pre-reqs to HVACR for me to be interested in them. My Children's book was about protecting animals on earth. Sooo, I touched on our environment and climate, the ozone. I embedded "Pink Floyd" to play low in the back ground. My Professor turned that all the way down. (He does James Taylor in the beginning of class).

Post Likes
    tomorrow morning is our sheet metal class, I'm glad Bob Ruther doesn't require us to do a power point there. Instead, We get to build a miniature plenum and truck. 1st, we do it on paper and get a grade, then we get to mark, cut and bend it out of metal and get a grade. One piece at a time. Each piece has to be within 1/8th tolerance. After all pieces are made and pass, we get to put it together and it is all graded again. It has to fit tight enough so Bob can bang it on the table several times without falling apart, no gaps, and the whole project has to be within 1/8th" of original size.

Post Likes
    Just remember to treat your work jobs as if they were your own personal Equiptment. I have had to go on numerous jobs where the installations were not installed correctly. As the saying goes "If you don't have the time to fix it right the first time,how are you going to have time to fix it a second time. Keep up the Good work!
    COOLTECH14

Post Likes
    I'm in the same boat. I have been working industrial hvac for the last 20+ year also. I have my own business on the outside.Looking to keep up with new technology on the outside world.

Post Likes
    Hey,
    I don't know if you have heard of RSES but they have a wealth of knowledge in the hvac field. If you join the chapter you have access to a lot of HVAC literature.They have a storeroom where you can buy books at discounted prices also.

Post Likes
    You will do fine.Part of learning is making mistakes! Nobody is perfect and the only way to learn is to jump in and challenge the problem. And sometimes that means making a mistake. Study hard,learn from veterans,and do the best that you can.

Post Likes
    I think when you get pro membership there will be plenty of professional help!

Page 71 of 74 FirstFirst ... 21616465666768697071727374 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in