Page 36 of 74 FirstFirst ... 2629303132333435363738394041424346 ... LastLast

Thread: Welcome to all New Guests going Pro? Do not post equipment questions in this forum

Post Likes
    I have been in the industrial electrical field for 13 years now and I have always had to deal with that side of hvac/r systems started in a food processing plant with nh3 and now Im in the cement manufacturing industry all Of our server rooms,electrical rooms have anything from 15 ton to 42 ton trane commercial units I have been guilty of thinking hvac/r was mostly electrical man was I wrong I had my company pay for my epa 608 and I learned alot enough so till thats what I want to do full time I enjoy reading on here you all are some very sharp people hope to be here a long time
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

Post Likes
    I joined the union local234and went through five years of apprenticeship I finished with the top award in our school.I have. Ow been in this trade 8 years. I found this site through a friend and have been hooked I would like pro status to gain valuable info. I would also love to help out my union brothers when ever I could

Post Likes
    new to the site. Ever since I was in high school I couldn't figure out what to do with myself. I knew i wanted to be part of some type of trade but couldn't decide between electrician or plumbing so I got into a job that has the best of both worlds. Been in it for about 5 years now

My favorite part about the job/industry is the fact everyday at work is a school day. If you don't learn everyday there's no point.

Post Likes
    I always had an interest in fixing Things or at least finding out how they worked. After making a career out of going to college and working construction I ended up with an associates in hvac. I have worked five years in commercial Service since then. I take pride in my work and try my best to find the problem behind the problem. I've used and viewed this site since day one , but never participated. I am starting to have a larger role in chiller repairs and hope to contribute as well as learn from hvac talk.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Sicofthis View Post
    I always had an interest in fixing Things or at least finding out how they worked. After making a career out of going to college and working construction I ended up with an associates in hvac. I have worked five years in commercial Service since then. I take pride in my work and try my best to find the problem behind the problem. I've used and viewed this site since day one , but never participated. I am starting to have a larger role in chiller repairs and hope to contribute as well as learn from hvac talk.
    Don't feel like a lone ranger. You are walking in the same footprint as many here and the many to come.

Welcome aboard.

Post Likes
    Hi Guys, I did a Bachelor in Mechanical Engineering at Auckland University in New Zealand. Once I completed the degree I headed over to Sydney in Australia to work for a consulting firm in their building services division. I have been working for the company for 4.5 years. I have designed and assisted with the design of a number of shopping centres, commercial and residential buildings.

I’m keen to keep expanding my knowledge and believe this site will be very beneficial in doing so.

Post Likes
    Best site on the web! Engineers are a favorite on this site. (Food that is)! Just kidding! Welcome to the site!

Post Likes
    Hello, my name is Phil. I am a remodeler and a radon mitigator. About two and a half years ago I became BPI certified. I am getting away from remodeling and focusing my business on Energy retrofits. I'm in my second year of classes working for an associates degree in HVACR. I also have level 1 certification in thermal imaging.

Post Likes
    I am finishing school at a major north east hvac institution. Throughout my experience I didn't feel like I was getting much. Now that it is ending, however, I feel very different from when I began. I did even know what a fitting was. I am glad. My question is what to expect. I am so much more than the average joe wanting to get into the field. But I lack field experience. What I don't want is to be an install guy. I am graduating top of my class. I understand the theory and the whys and what ifs. It's the physical situation that I haven't gotten as much as I have wanted. I did get hands on, just not constant. What do I say and what can I expect from a potential employer as far as respect for my knowledge?

On the other hand I have a different question. I have a very good full time job as a teacher. I'm doing hvac to prepare for a possible layoff that seems to be looming. I'd like to work part time (after my now full time job) until the inevitable happens. I am even willing to take a very low wage just to prove myself and get experience.

Your thoughts and comments are appreciated in advance.

Post Likes

delete

please delete thank you
    Last edited by Tim Race; 04-08-2012 at 08:44 PM. Reason: wrong place

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Race View Post
    please delete thank you
    Don't get it. Is that directed at my post?

Post Likes

Sorry tedwasright

Nothing intended toward you at all. I was unable to delete my post, so I thought I would ask the moderators to delete it. That's all there is to it. Too much work and not enough sleep kind of dulls my brain. My apologies to ted and everyone else who may have taken it that way.

Post Likes

The real deal

Hey everyone just wanted to give a shout about my background.
    Started out installing fireplaces in new construction, residential. I worked for piece rate so I had to be quick to get a decent days wage.

A friend of mine told me about his new job, working union for a service based commercial union HVAC company and said they would be hiring soon. Put in my resume and got the job. Seven years later I have now completed my apprenticeship and am a Building Trades Journeyman - Refrigeration. I received amazing training through my unions classes and my teachers experiences.

Best decision I have ever made and I have learned so much over the years. I work in the service department performing maintenance and service calls. Mostly HVAC work but also some smaller refrigeration equipment.

Great trade to work in and I wish everyone the best.

Post Likes
    I got into the trade after going to Marquette University for electrical engineering and after 3 years of non-stop computer programming using C++ and JavaScript, I was so mentally drained and the thought of sitting behind a desk for the rest of my life creating GUIs (graphical user interfaces), I spent a summer working for my Dad who was a mechanical engineer at Delphi Automotive. It was an eye opening experience and it was great working with the in house fitters. I came to realize that my true passion was working with my hands and fixing machines. Additionally my Dad was helpful in pointing out that Steamfitter service work (especially refer service) can't be outsourced to China. THX DAD!

Post Likes

Thumbs down

Today was my last day before a new company Monday
    was working with a great hvac commercial service company for five years
    going union gotta pay the bills wish me luck

Post Likes

Thumbs up

Wtf i didn't mean thumbs down

Post Likes
    Good luck with your new company!

Post Likes
    Just joined forum although I have been here many times as a guest doing research and the like.
    I'm a partial owner in a family based hvac business located in MN. I learned the ropes the old fashioned way (school of hard knocks) just as my Dad learned and my Son is doing.
    That isn't to say we miss out on all the fun training and day classes, we just like getting our hands dirty.
    The most important thing I have learned is that I will never learn everything, as we go along the technology evolves at a pace that it is a full time job to keep up with it>
    I look forward to being a part of this forum!

Post Likes

Post Likes
    Thanks, and yes 2008. I wish I had more time for it but somebody needs to work. 54000 in 4 years and still running great!!

Page 36 of 74 FirstFirst ... 2629303132333435363738394041424346 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in