Page 19 of 74 FirstFirst ... 91213141516171819202122232425262969 ... LastLast

Thread: Welcome to all New Guests going Pro? Do not post equipment questions in this forum

Post Likes
    So how do you go Pro? I've applied after so many posts last week, and attached my licenses, and such, but haven't heard anything. Did I miss something? Don't know where else besides here to ask.
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Baloo2327 View Post
    So how do you go Pro? I've applied after so many posts last week, and attached my licenses, and such, but haven't heard anything. Did I miss something? Don't know where else besides here to ask.
    I have no idea, it is easy to procceed, and no extra specific steps,maybe,you can refer to the admistrator. I am also a new comer...
    good luck

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Baloo2327 View Post

it's hard to get good help these days.............

ooohhhhh,i'm gonna pay for that

it takes time, the committee members have paying jobs also

p.s.

i assume you filled out the application?

p.s.s

you don't want to start a thread asking HOW LONG BEFORE......

it gets amusing
    Last edited by dandyme; 06-03-2011 at 01:41 AM.
    It`s better to be silent and thought the fool; than speak and remove all doubt.

Post Likes

How it all got started

I started in the industry about 8 years ago. I have always been in the multi family housing industry. I was taught a lot by my supervisor at the time which had 24 years under his belt. He was a hell of a trouble shooter and taught me the same. My industry is filled with under paid rednecks that know how to do nothing but change parts. They don't know what the parts do or are called let alone the sequence of operations. So anyway after shadowing him for a year I got my epa certification. Then I pretty much went from gopher to do all. Meaning i did all and he did nothing lol. Continued to work with him for 3 more years. I then got a promotion to another newer property. The problems are still here just different ones. Problem was i got here 5 years after build and the idiot that was here before me did his weight in damage. But all that is far in the past and cleaned up know. I am proud to say that of the many tasks i come across in a days work i specialize in Heating and Air. I have just completed the camt course and passed with flying colors. I joined this site to learn about system that i don't get to deal with on a daily basis as well as help people with systems that I do

Post Likes

New to the site

Hello all, I was in HVAC from 1981 to 1990. From 1990 to March 2011 I was either building homes, GC or handyman. Now I find myself back in the HVAC trade and loving it. Of course I did not realize how much catching up I had to do with getting my EPA card Tech registration card and recovery equipment. But after a few months I am very comfortable with retrofits and look forward to advancing my education and acquiring new skills. I will be joining the Pro side asap and look forward to being part of the community. So once again hello from the capital of HVAC Houston,TX. Dan

Post Likes

I hope I can contribute to this wonderful site half of which it has contributed to me

Hi Everyone,

In 2 weeks I will graduate from Quality Technical Training Center in Las Vegas, Nevada. I was advised to attend this technical school verses the community college in our area because of my general mechanical aptitude, old world work ethics and drive to do what ever it takes to make it in this industry. I spend all my free time studying anything HVAC/R in an attempt to better prepare myself for the field.

A lot of my knowledge of the HVAC/R industry comes from being a superintendent for a large commercial construction general contractor. It's amazing what you can learn over a period of years when you just monitor and ask questions. I was encouraged to join the electricians union by quite a few electrical contractors over the past decade. However the repetitive nature of the work would not provide the mental challenges needed for me to be content.

The HVAC mechanical contractors seemed to see the bigger picture most of time. They appeared to me to be much better problem solvers compared to the other contractors. I was quite impressed with their overall attitudes, even when electricians drilled holes in the ducting so they could run their conduit through. Yes, this has happen quite a few times. Oh how I wish I would have taken some pictures on my personal camera so I could have posted them.

Needless to say the commercial construction industry tanked here in Southern Nevada. I decided to incorporate and start my own handyman business. So I resigned in 2008 before things became cut throat. Owning my own business has been very good for me professionally but not personally. After speaking with a family friend who owns a mechanical industrial refrigeration company, I realized that this industry has always sparked my interest. I was informed I possess a great deal of experience that directly relates.

I reminded myself that a 10,000 mile journey starts with a single step and the next day I enrolled in school for HVAC/R. I jumped at the opportunity to work for the above mentioned industrial refrigeration company for a month to get a feel for the industry. I learned so much, so fast it actually had me answering school essay question with a paragraph instead of a single sentence. My instructor told me I was right on all six symptoms I identified but he was only looking for the first one. Oops. While employed I successfully changed out RT PU compressors, filter-driers, and contactors before school finished discussing theories and sequence of operation. For reasons unknown to me they allowed me to work there for 6 weeks total. That was two weeks longer than originally discussed and originally we weren’t sure if I’d make it the whole 4 weeks. The service manager-supervising technician has a policy of only hiring techs with 5-7 years of experience and experience with anhydrous ammonia systems is a must. After walking in his shadow and working with the other service techs, I completely understand why this policy came to exist. I’m just grateful for the extensive knowledge and experience I’ve obtained from this unique opportunity.

That’s 5-10 years of my life and I’m not trying to write a book here. Please accept my apology for the great length. If there’s anything I can do to help anyone out drop me a line anytime.
    "Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of intelligent effort. The bitterness of poor quality lingers long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten" --- John Ruskin

Post Likes
    I have a question for anybody who's got any info I have a recovery machine that was give to me its an econozone 29 made by snyder general has anyone ever used or have any info on these machines I can't find out much about them online any info would be appreciated Thanks.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jrn1 View Post
    I have a question for anybody who's got any info I have a recovery machine that was give to me its an econozone 29 made by snyder general has anyone ever used or have any info on these machines I can't find out much about them online any info would be appreciated Thanks.
    This is the wrong forum to ask questions in. Try opening a thread in the General Discussion forum. You may just get an answer to your question there. Good luck!
    "Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of intelligent effort. The bitterness of poor quality lingers long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten" --- John Ruskin

Post Likes
    I have always been a pretty good do it yourselfer. Studied construction is high school and have built homes and garages. My plan as a youth was to get into the trades but I took a different path early on and became a police officer. After serving nearly 30 years in law enforcement, in every possible capacity, I retired and returned to junior college where I studied HVAC and received my HVAC certificate and the universal EPA card. I have been out of class for a little over a year and have been doing jobs for friends and working with an experienced tech on occasion as his helper. Right now I am still learning the ins and outs of HVAC but am gaining knowledge. I am slowly obtaining all of the tools necessary to effectively work on residential systems and hope to soon start my own part time business in residential HVAC. I continue to study and read all I can on the industry to improve my knowledge. I have been placing posts in the residential section and hope to soon apply for professional status so that I can access more areas that will aid me in my endeavor.

Post Likes
    I've introduced myself, but I guess I never bothered to wonder if there's even a spot in Pro-Status'dom for guys like me, I currently don't work in any service (I work for a supply house). So, is there room for me?

Post Likes

YOU'RE THERE ...

Quote Originally Posted by TXSpeed6 View Post
    I've introduced myself, but I guess I never bothered to wonder if there's even a spot in Pro-Status'dom for guys like me, I currently don't work in any service (I work for a supply house). So, is there room for me?

The Room For Improvement ....

Do not attempt vast projects with
    half vast experience and ideas.

Post Likes
    I have been in the Electrical trade for 20 plus years, even tried my hand as Electrical Contractor I do not regret it but do not want to go back. I have landed a job as a Maintenance Supervisor and really enjoy getting a steady paycheck, with the hopes of some retirement. Since taking this position I have obtained Universal EPA Certification and trying to learn as much as possible by asking my brother who has been in the HVAC feild as long as I have the electrical. I intend to purchase some sort of training material as well as working for the brother on weekends as he needs the help. This site looks like a great addition to my need for knowledge and resources. Looking forward to learning more.

"No question is a stupid question"

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by TXSpeed6 View Post
    So, is there room for me?
    So long as you have free Pepsi every day and hotdogs on Wednesday like my jobber, we're good
    (The wise men of modern thought) adore a god made of putty or of wax - plastic, effeminate, molluscous, with no masculine faculty about him, and no quality that entitles him to the respect of just and honest men, for a being who cannot be angry at wrongdoing is destitute of one of the essential virtues, and a moral Ruler who is not angry with the wicked, and who refuses to punish crime, is not divine. ---Spurgeon

Post Likes
    I graduated from a tech school 15 years ago and did hvac for 5 years before my path took to doing mostly plumbing. I am back to doing strictly heating and air and have found technology has changed quite a bit in the last 5 years and I am hoping this forum will help me get back up to speed a little easier.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by shaygetz View Post
    So long as you have free Pepsi every day and hotdogs on Wednesday like my jobber, we're good
    We have free water every day and coffee that was fresh sometime during the week. Don't even ask about the hot dogs.

Post Likes
    I attended a community college also fro the HVAC/R program. Towards the end of the program, I ended up getting laid off from my job as a Supervsor. That has been a year now, and I have been servicing and repairing units now for about a year on my own. I have found that it pays to have someone on your team that you can call on. I have faced several problems that it just felt like I would never solve, but I have fortunately run into those with people that I know, and a phone call will usually help out. I see a lot of individuals crack jokes about newbies out here in the field, and I hope that they remember they were newbies once. i am not afraid to ask for help, and I appreciate this forum.

Post Likes
    When I'm feeling fractionated I hop on my temperature glide and cruise until I'm saturated.

Post Likes
    Well. I Dad always said he had to send me to school so I could learn to put back together all the stuff I tore apart over the years that he had stacked in the garage LOL.

So I moved to Saint Louis, and signed up for HVAC at Basic Institute of Technology on Chippewa street. 1984 I believe was the year.
    I worked in the field for a few years, then in 1991 I took a job with Emerson Electric as in solid state electronics.
    I worked in that field until 1999, then after my divorce took a job on a river boat.
    I worked until I retired from that, and then took a job as a lineman. I worked in that for five years, got to old for climbing poles and such, and am now back in the HVAC field. (And happily remarried).

Post Likes

Hello all. I am new to the forum and new to the field. A quick history of me... I played football all through school and fostered dreams of going pro but a car accident ended that idea. I've worked lots of jobs but figured it was time to have an actual career so I chose this field because I am mechanically inclined and enjoy fixing things, it gives me a sense of accomplishment at the end of the day. I like that it won't be the exact same thing in the exact same place everyday. I also appreciate that this is the kind of knowledge that the "average" guy just doesn't have and can't get easily. Everyone I know wishes they knew an A/C guy, now I am an A/C guy. I just finished the program at a local trade school, got licensed with the state of TX and got my Universal EPA. Now I just need a job in the field. I am really looking more for the commercial side of things. Any suggestions? One of my instructors mentioned this site as a good place to go for information on all things in the field so here I am. Looking forward to a long career in this field and getting to know some of you pretty well over these years.

Post Likes
    welcome ORJ, your instructor is correct, but you gonna hafta get that post count up an apply for pro membership to get the info you want

and don't go 'round tellin 'em your the a/c guy ( you'll be sorry)
    It`s better to be silent and thought the fool; than speak and remove all doubt.

Page 19 of 74 FirstFirst ... 91213141516171819202122232425262969 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in