Page 11 of 113 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314151617182161111 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by TRobbii View Post
    Bein from FL is great but in texas we are on our 3rd winter storm right now. This stinks. I wish I could go back to FL!!

The statement below is my signature and just my overall feeling towards our industry and does not necessarily pertain to you nor this thread.

There really isn't a legitimate excuse for not doing the job correctly!

Quote Originally Posted by ghays3 View Post
    Here's a short intro. I have an electrical background from working in KC-130s in the Marine Corps and got an Associates in Electrical Engineering Technology. I was working in an unrelated field (Rebar Detailer) and when work slowed down I went back to school for HVAC.
    I did an internship about a year ago at a local company and they ended up hiring me on and giving me a truck after 4 days which was pretty scary. I got a certificate from the community college and would eventually like to complete the Associates. I love learning stuff which is why I joined this site. I want to learn as much as can from the experienced pros here. Hopefully I can get my post count up quickly so I can get to the good stuff.
    Welcome to the site...yeah the good stuff is behind the curtain.

The statement below is my signature and just my overall feeling towards our industry and does not necessarily pertain to you nor this thread.

HVAC

Is there anyone here in the DFW area that can recomend some good companies that I can apply at? I am currently a service manager at an apartment complex but I want to do HVAC full time. I have plenty of residential experiance and some commercial boiler exp as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech23 View Post
    Welcome to the site...yeah the good stuff is behind the curtain.
    Thanks. I got to go to a class a couple weeks ago. I thought it was great. It was basically about system audits and that a lot of installs use the wrong size copper for the length of run. Yesterday I went to a house where the air handler's dip switches were never set up properly. It was installed in '96. Then the homeowner installed a t-stat several years back and missed hooking up the heat strip for the aux/emer heat. His system is working well now.

Quote Originally Posted by TRobbii View Post
    Bein from FL is great but in texas we are on our 3rd winter storm right now. This stinks. I wish I could go back to FL!!
    I was up that way for the snow/ice last weekend. That was fun. I'm not too familiar with any companies up there, but good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by ghays3 View Post
    Thanks. I got to go to a class a couple weeks ago. I thought it was great. It was basically about system audits and that a lot of installs use the wrong size copper for the length of run. Yesterday I went to a house where the air handler's dip switches were never set up properly. It was installed in '96. Then the homeowner installed a t-stat several years back and missed hooking up the heat strip for the aux/emer heat. His system is working well now.
    Cool, sounds like good stuff!

As you may have guessed already, my name is John. I recently signed up on this forum to get advice and educate myself a little bit from other people in the same business.

I'm an HVAC apprentice for a small family company. I've been working along side my father-in-law for about 1.5 years. We do work on Commercial and Industrial buildings in the NJ/NY/CT area. We are based in NJ. I'm going to HVAC classes via supply stores and what not. Actual school will be coming soon. I can honestly say that the in-field experience is far more helpful than the classes but it never hurts.

I have the basics of HVAC components down pretty good. Electrical is not exactly my cup of tea, but I try. So yea there is a little about me and what I do. I hope I can learn from other people and maybe someday be the one to give advice to other newcomers.

Thanks,
    John

P.S. What does this mean?

Quote Originally Posted by RMS John View Post
    As you may have guessed already, my name is John. I recently signed up on this forum to get advice and educate myself a little bit from other people in the same business.

I'm an HVAC apprentice for a small family company. I've been working along side my father-in-law for about 1.5 years. We do work on Commercial and Industrial buildings in the NJ/NY/CT area. We are based in NJ. I'm going to HVAC classes via supply stores and what not. Actual school will be coming soon. I can honestly say that the in-field experience is far more helpful than the classes but it never hurts.

I have the basics of HVAC components down pretty good. Electrical is not exactly my cup of tea, but I try. So yea there is a little about me and what I do. I hope I can learn from other people and maybe someday be the one to give advice to other newcomers.

Thanks,
    John

P.S. What does this mean?
    Welcome John,

Glad to have you here. Get your posts up and apply for Pro membership. Keep learning that electrical...as you will need it.

Thank you very much. I hope to be able to learn as much as possible about electrical. You can pipe in all the copper in the world, but without the electrical to run the system......well, you know. Last night I was actually out on a job at about 2200 working outside on the electrical of a system and found out what happens when a wire falls out of wire nut and grounds on the case. .
    Last edited by RMS John; 02-09-2011 at 01:11 PM. Reason: Just an edit to text.

Thank you very much. I hope to be able to learn as much as possible about electrical. You can pipe in all the copper in the world, but without the electrical to run the system......well, you know. Last night I was actually out on a job at about 2200 working outside on the electrical of a system and found out what happens when a wire falls out of wire nut and grounds on the case. .
    LOL, yeah...that is not good.

Tech,
    I just realized what your avatar picture is. Are you trying to say a coil cleaning is ment for kids? Lmao! I've done my fair share of coil cleanings and many more to come.

And to add to my woes last night, it was outside, right on the water in Brooklyn, I worked from 2200-0130 the next morning, Single digit temps, and the wind was blowing @ 30-50mph. I had asked my boss if I should just go home since I was checking out an AC system and it was too cold. His response was "I can't send out the bill if you go home can I?". No bills sent = No paycheck. Gotta make money somehow.

I'm still wondering what the hell this means: Anyone?

Tech,
    I just realized what your avatar picture is. Are you trying to say a coil cleaning is ment for kids? Lmao! I've done my fair share of coil cleanings and many more to come.
    That is my oldest daughter (9 now) when she was 3 yrs old...she loves to go to work with Daddy and has never been afraid of heights.
    Last edited by Tech23; 02-09-2011 at 09:54 PM. Reason: Typo

Ted
    thanx for the great email

was havin a bad day!!!!!!!

not anymore!!

Frank

Page 11 of 113 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314151617182161111 ... LastLast