Page 45 of 74 FirstFirst ... 3538394041424344454647484950515255 ... LastLast

Thread: Welcome to all New Guests going Pro? Do not post equipment questions in this forum

Post Likes
    I went to a tech highschool and got into hvac even though in all reality didnt understand what I was taking lol. I got out of school and started doing oil service was doing that for about 8 years or so then went to a smaller company where I got a wide open look at alot more. Gas oil AC residential comercial you name it
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

Poodle Head Mikey is offline Membership Chair/ARP Committee / Professional Member*
    I try to stay as far away from myself as I can.
    Post Likes

Move around, learn everything you can by working on it

Don't fall into a rut, move around, work on every possible thing, and always take on the worse and most difficult jobs. Compare what other mechanics tell you to the logic of what you already know. If it doesn't 'fit' - always call bull**** and ask for a more detailed explanation.

PHM
    -------

Quote Originally Posted by wicat3 View Post
    I went to a tech highschool and got into hvac even though in all reality didnt understand what I was taking lol. I got out of school and started doing oil service was doing that for about 8 years or so then went to a smaller company where I got a wide open look at alot more. Gas oil AC residential comercial you name it
    PHM
    --------

When faced with the choice between changing one's mind, and proving that there is no need to do so, most tend to get busy on the proof.

Post Likes
    I always used to take some of my toys apart when I was younger, and sometimes I was able to get them back together again and sometimes I wasn't able to get them back together.

I was doing Satellite Installations for DIRECTV, Dish Network and WildBlue and the company I was working for went out of business and none of the Satellite Installtion companies were hiring and I talked with a friend of the family who works for one of the biggest HVAC/R and Sheet Metal companies here and decided to go to school for HVAC/R. I went to school for HVAC/R and graduated in Jaunary from school. I started working for R M C Services aka McDonald's In-House Maintenenace team right after school and have learned alot and have still learned I have alot to learn about how al the McDonald's equipment works.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Poodle Head Mikey View Post
    Don't fall into a rut, move around, work on every possible thing
    That is very true and great advice

Post Likes
    I stumbled upon HVACR a few years ago while helping a good buddy of mine prepare for the EPA and HVAC Excellence exams. The more I went over the material and learned about the diversity and dynamics of the field, the more interested I became, and before I knew it, I enrolled in an HVAC program. I dedicated a lot of time to my studies and came to believe that in order to get a job in the field, I would have to not only know the material but be able prove my knowledge. As such, I focused on getting certified and have attained numerous certifications to date.

To my surprise, I got hired after my first interview by a small HVAC and plumbing company in Brooklyn, NY. Though the pay was and still is not great, the experience I have received is invaluable. A little over a year and a bunch of valuable lessons later, I'm joining HVAC Talk in hopes that I will learn more lessons and receive advice on how to proceed within this ever-changing industry.

Post Likes
    Advice?! Well hallelujah brother! Head on down to ARP. It's at the bottom of the main screen.

You don't have to thank me for the lesson, er., advice.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ironpit View Post
    Advice?! Well hallelujah brother! Head on down to ARP. It's at the bottom of the main screen.

You don't have to thank me for the lesson, er., advice.
    Well, thanks for the advice anyway, ironpit. I'll be spending a lot of time reading the posts and learning from the pros there.

Post Likes

Post Likes
    I started my career in refrigeration some 15 years ago as a vending machine repairman and have been doing it for a major beverage company for the past 10 years. I've used this sight off and on for years to answer questions and get a general consensus on various HVAC/R topics. I'm more of a listener than a talker but have finally decided to make a post.

Post Likes
    jp smith hit it on the head. Dont get cocky, it usually ends up with a rude realization.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by HVACRoy View Post
    Hey Scott,
    On the 3 phase, did they switch two leads? I know blower motors, etc, will reverse direction when this is done, so were the compressor trying to run backwards?

I bet this was a mess to fix. Too bad I didn't run into you before, I work in Mt.Vernon currently and would have stopped by to check it out.

I was in town when that storm hit (6/29 at about 5pm) and it was awesome. The wind sounded like a jet engine at times.

Nice to meet you man, see ya around!

Roy
    Sorry I didn't respond sooner Roy, We have been extremely busy due to the weather.
    Yes, the power company reconnected the supply power to the building and had swapped 2 of the three legs of power which isn't an issue with most compressors except scrolls.
    Most three phase motors have to be wired for rotation but the exceptions are non-scroll (rotary / most semi-hermetics). I wish I'd have known you were so close! I would have asked you to stop by and maybe even help!

Post Likes

Hello

just wanted to say hi and i'm glad i found this forum.

a little background about me : i graduated from a tech school with a Diploma in Air Conditioning Technology.i am ashamed to say i have never tried to put it to use......a long story that i'll get into later.

that leads me to my question: has anyone left the field for awhile & then come back to it?how long did it take to re-call the information you haven't used in a while?or is it even possible to remember alot of it?

i pulled all my old books from the bottom of the closet and have started reading up again (also found alot of my old tests and other stuff)

i know alot of this work is "hands on" work - not shure how i'll accomplish that but, i hope to apply myself and re-learn the trade.

any advice will be appreciated.

thanks,
    T.J.

Post Likes
    T.J. I have left the feild for I think about a Year or so and have done a few diffrent types of jobs. My current job is not in the feild but I do used a few things I learned while in the feild and I do use my knollage that I learned hear and there doing diffrent things. I am looking to get back into the field again. Even though I left the field for a little while I never stopped using my trade. I still do work on the side and still keep in touch with whats new and have many freinds in the field that I still talk with.

Post Likes
    HEY T.J....Anybody from ALABAMA can do ANYTHING!

My oldest daughter was born in the great city of MOBILE! I dearly miss that town.

Got good friends and family in ALABAMA. My nephews mother-in-law is an aide to Nick Saban.

Glad to have you on the site. I'll tell you like I tell everyone else, enjoy the site, but very careful in ARP.
    Tempers flare!
    Best place to meet the moderators. ( they are the little,, fat, desk jockey-type guys in the police cars.)

Post Likes
    Well I guess I need to introduce myself like everyone else. I started out in a Large company that I will leave undisclosed. When I say Large I mean 2 buildings one 5 floors and the other 4 floors, each floor about 250,000 square feet. I bagan learning under a great heating and air tech and decided I better go to school. I received my degree in hvac and the company wanted me to get another one in electronic communications (Networking). Our buildings run on an automated system so they wanted me to be able to work on this area as well. (Building Automation) I have worked on 50 ton Dunham Bush units, 10 ton Data Aire Units, 10 & 15 & 20 ton Trane units, multitiudes of heat pumps, closed loop systems, cooling towers, etc... and more. We also have to fully staffed cafe's. So go ahead and tack on kitchen equipment refrigerators, freezers, ovens, Walk in Freezers, Walk in Coolers, friers, the whole 9 yards. Everything to do with hvac/r i've mentioned so far is all water cooled. I have also worked with friends on the side with their residential companies to help them out from time to time as well. So about 16 years later I'm still at the same place doing what I do. Hope to meet some of you and lets help each other out!

Post Likes
    Welcome to the site. Glad to have you here! Most of us are just sittin' aroun' ARP, so come on down, relax an enjoy the company.
    That's ARP, near the bottom of the main menu. Be sure to ask for quanchai!

Post Likes

thanks

thanks for the advice & encouragement.i really appreciate it.

i have started to read through some of my old books.....some of it i remember....some i dont. i plan to re-read my books and when i get through i may try to talk to a few local HVAC guys to see if maybe i could help out part time and get some hands on experiance. good plan or not?

ironpit : Roll Tide! or is football conversation better suited in the ARP section

thanks again,
    T.J.

Post Likes
    Persistance will pay off. Here in Indiana, anybody can due hvac. I know guys who have been doing it for twenty years and have flunked their EPA exam four times.
    I know Alabama is strict, but as with anything, if you want it, go get it!

As for football and ARP, they go well together. Just don't forget to wear your gear.... and watch the refs. Lots of penalties down there.

Post Likes
    Finally did it. I have been lurking around this forum for quite a while and now I finally joined. I am newer HVAC tech, but seasoned construction tradesman. I hope to gain a little and give a little to the community here.

Post Likes
    Is it me or is this place a little scary? We get a lot of people lurking around here! I guess it's better than people leering!

Oh well! Welcome to the site!

Illinois, huh? My home state.

Where 'bouts in Illinois?

Guess I should go ahead and say it. Be sure and check out ARP! It's near the bottom of the main menu. There a bunch of lurks there!

Be sure to shake hands with ROBO, coolwhip and glennac. Robo is the ring leader of that group. I think he owns arp! any luck and you'll meet jmac00 and markl.

good luck!

Page 45 of 74 FirstFirst ... 3538394041424344454647484950515255 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in