Page 53 of 74 FirstFirst ... 34346474849505152535455565758596063 ... LastLast
Results 1,041 to 1,060 of 1468

Thread: Welcome to all New Guests going Pro? Do not post equipment questions in this forum

Post Likes
    Hello, my name is Dave I've been in the business since 2008. I really love this trade and enjoy every thing about it. Even 120 degree attics in July. This forum stuff is all new to me so I hope I can get the hang of it quick because this is a great tool to have access to. Thanks
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

Post Likes
    Hi....my name is Darren and am a Gas Fitter 1/OBT 1 in my location here in Barrie. It would be nice to be accepted as a pro member considering my experience. I have 17 years experience [to date] here in Canada doing both commercial and residential installs, repairs & designs. Unit heaters, rooftop units, heat pumps, pool heaters furnaces, oil burners etc. I used to design [ULC test & approve] equipment here in Canada working in engineering. I sat on various committees representing a former company helping to determine rules and regs for industry (COHA, CSA etc). At present, I have my own heating company which is doing well....my company also has a website where more information is available.
    Last edited by barriefurnacerepair; 12-08-2012 at 02:45 PM. Reason: punctuation

Post Likes
    My name is Rob and I have been in the HVAC field for 15 yrs now. I started my career as a Chrysler certified tech. I went through an apprenticeship and due to the dealerships owner was soured on the industry. A friend of mine worked for a local contractor and got me a sit down with them. I worked there for a few months before they realized I was better suited on the service side. I worked for them about three years and went to every class I could. A local union shop called me and offered me a service position. I served my 5 yr apprenticeship with the sheet metal workersand have been here 12 yrs now. The company I work for fixes anything that gets hot or cold. Somedays it really racks my brain, but I enjoy the work. I found this forum looking up some info. on an ice machine. I was happy to find a place where professionals who endure the same problems can talk. Thanks

Post Likes

I am in maryland currently but when I finish tech school will be moving to Florida
    Post Likes
    Has any one use the digital manifold gague sets out there I am trying to find someone who has either used them or has a set to see if they are worth the money

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk 2

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by KerryA View Post
    Has any one use the digital manifold gague sets out there I am trying to find someone who has either used them or has a set to see if they are worth the money

Welcome!

Head over to the section titled Tools and Test Equipment. You will find enough discussions about digital gauges to really confuse you! Lol.

Yes they are nice, accurate, and quick. They have made my job easier.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Dad View Post
    There is a 15 post rule for the Membership Committee to process your application for Professional Membership here. "Joy" posting doesn't count.

So, how do you bring your post count up and give pertinent information for the MC to consider? Easy, post in this thread about your experiences and the jobs you have been on. Speak to each other about how and why you decided to get into this business and how you expect to advance in this trade. Tech School?? Talk about your classed and what you were taught.

Before you know it your 15 will be 60. Good luck and Welcome to H-Talk.

So how's the committee doing on my application.....

Am I a pro? Is there something I'm missing?

Post Likes
    Ive basically had a lifetime in the trade as my father is a owner of a HVAC business. I swore for years that I'd never do what dad does. Come 8th grade, I start helping out his installer in the summers. Once I got my drivers license I worked summers full time. I didnt really like it, but man the pay was better than anything else I could do. Headed off to college and got a degree in Kinesiology, but kept working summers for pops. Sometime near the end of school, I realized that the demand for technicians was on the rise and I didnt want to be stuck in an office all my life. 7 years later and Im still here.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by barriefurnacerepair View Post

You will need to ask them. When did you send in your app??

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by barriefurnacerepair View Post

you will need to start a thread in the general forum " How Long Before>>>>
    It`s better to be silent and thought the fool; than speak and remove all doubt.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by 09jk View Post
    Ive basically had a lifetime in the trade as my father is a owner of a HVAC business. I swore for years that I'd never do what dad does. Come 8th grade, I start helping out his installer in the summers. Once I got my drivers license I worked summers full time. I didnt really like it, but man the pay was better than anything else I could do. Headed off to college and got a degree in Kinesiology, but kept working summers for pops. Sometime near the end of school, I realized that the demand for technicians was on the rise and I didnt want to be stuck in an office all my life. 7 years later and Im still here.
    You make it sound like you joined the mob....hehe

@dad
    @dandyme

Thanks for the info
    Last edited by barriefurnacerepair; 12-11-2012 at 04:59 PM. Reason: thanks added

Post Likes
    I must apologize, I was surprised when I was able to post in the aop forum. was a simple reply giving some non technical information and the homeowner is a total adjflkadjfkasjdfl please excuse my french. I feel sorry for the contractor that did the work. sorry to the moderator for having to remove my post since I am yet a pro member and not sure that I will qualify as an office manager and not a tech

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by kathy-sunshine View Post
    I must apologize, I was surprised when I was able to post in the aop forum. was a simple reply giving some non technical information and the homeowner is a total adjflkadjfkasjdfl please excuse my french. I feel sorry for the contractor that did the work. sorry to the moderator for having to remove my post since I am yet a pro member and not sure that I will qualify as an office manager and not a tech
    Kathy... you may qualify for Pro at this time. Click here and follow the instructions. The Membership Committee will decide.

http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread....nal-Membership

The AOP area is a trial for DIY but limited in the answers one can give. You must be a vetted Pro here and have the dreaded (*) beside your user group or a Mod will put out your flame. Once a Pro member you can apply for the *

Post Likes

Hi

Just a quick greeting with my first post.

I heard about this website from my brother who is also in the field. After looking around, decided this would be a great place to join. I went to a tech school back around 2000, and got a job as a helper before finishing the degree. Worked as a helper for a while, and was given a chance at being a service tech. I did that for a few years, and after an injury moved to another company. There I did some installantion work, before eventually moving to another field of work. Stayed with that company about 5 years, and had to look for work.....long 18 months...and finally came back to HVAC. Decided I wanted to do control work, and went got my Niagara cert. Which is where I am at now, learning more about controls, automation and how it all intergrates together.

Looking forward to asking questions and joining conversations

Corry

Post Likes

Post Likes
    At 17 I was a "punk" burning hamburgers, drag racing, and pumping gas. Married my long time girlfriend at 18, she was 16. Her step-dad knew people at a trade school and i started the next month. Got my first HVAC job while still in class, finished just before we had our first of four kids. They all made it thru college, something mom and dad couldn't manage. We got a computer programmer, a registered sugical nurse, a paralegal, and a fast food franchise owner. They gave us enough grandkids to field a football team. Mom worked a lot of part time jobs while I did this 100% of the time. this may not be a real glamorous job but it pays the bills and i got it a lot better than most. Getting dirty, working crazy hours, and having a good woman there has paid-off big time. Trying to keep up with the new stuff is rough but thats part of the game now. A place like this would have been great, I can't tell you how many times I called my old instructers for help. Keep up the good work.

I am in maryland currently but when I finish tech school will be moving to Florida
    Post Likes
    Well as of Monday I finished my basic a/c class and am on to learn electricy yay! I thought that the a/c was complex ..... it seems to be nothing compared to the electric side! Glad I'm a fast learner.

Post Likes
    My story is a little different, I am basically self taught. Several years ago one of our local furnace men was retiring. I own several apartment houses, and met with him about purchasing his test equipment. I ended up purchasing his test equipment, along with a few hours of instruction. My original intent was just to maintain my own buildings. After doing my own service for a few years, I went to the state of Vermont department of fire safety, and went before the board, and told them I had been doing this for years, without a license. They questioned me a little, I gave them pictures of boilers I had installed. And the decided to let me take the Oil installer test. Thats how I got licensed.
    Dave Thompson

Post Likes
    I installed a Buderus 215 last week with 5 zones, After the initial install I had issues with it thermal circulating. People on the third floor were saying they could not turn their heat off. There was already a flow controll check valve on every zone, but the long vertical run of pipe to the upper floors was causing the valves to leak through. To fix it I put a TAC zone valve on each zone. problem solved.

Post Likes
    Hi, I was in another field entirely.. operating large production machinery and nursing them through their issues. After realising the internet and society in general was likely to mean shrinking volumes and essentially 200 apps for a single job in the future, I absconded.

After a short break (which was not a break - family member sick and suddenly needed help so the holiday was actually 70+hours a week..lol) I assisted a friend with a few installs of some electrical gear, sound systems, large panels, fibre and racks etc. Though that was ok so applied for a few full time jobs, and landed one with a great company. Essentially starting off as a trade assistant roughin in the cabling for access controls and whatever was needed, the BMS department was in need of some additional hands. They said it takes a long while to become proficient and they were right - the learning curve is practically a right angle.

All in all though its really great to work in this field, so far been involved with Trend, Honeywell, Johnson and EasyIO, from projects starting at 1 controller in an office to a 25 story building with raging tyrants everywhere. On that note, Merry Christmas all!

Page 53 of 74 FirstFirst ... 34346474849505152535455565758596063 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in