Page 61 of 74 FirstFirst ... 115154555657585960616263646566676871 ... LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,220 of 1468

Thread: Welcome to all New Guests going Pro? Do not post equipment questions in this forum

Post Likes
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

Post Likes
    Hey everyone, I found this site a few months ago and finally have decided to start posting and get involved. Here's my story.

I'm in my early 20's and only a couple years removed from acquiring a B.A. in mathematics. Before anyone jumps to any conclusions, I'm aware that I could be doing lots of things with this degree other than HVACR and it will be next to useless when it comes to helping me in the industry.

Anyway, after graduating and working a desk job crunching numbers for 6 months I realized that I was not living a life chosen by myself. I was simply taking everyone else's advice and never making my own decision. I had acquired a degree I was not really interested in and was on a track to careers that were not me. So I ended up on the career hunt, for several months.

During this career hunt I installed fences through the summer as a job and quickly realized that I was happy for the first time in my life when it came to working for money. So how could I translate the enjoyment I was getting out of this summer job into a career? I factored in my desire to work with my hands, utilize my problem solving and mathematical mind, and a few other things like a challenging field and something that can't really be outsourced or computerized. Obviously if I'm posting here I came to the conclusion of HVACR.

My ultimate goal is to do union commercial and industrial work on the really complicated and confusing equipment. Unfortunately out of the gate I had to start with running parts for a private company. In the 9 months I've been there I've learned next to nothing about HVACR, but a lot about the service industry. Also, I applied and was accepted into the Local nearby that covers HVACR service.

I'm hoping this forum will be a valuable tool for me going forward for the following reasons; guidance, encouragement and help with learning. So far I've gone through one interview process with a union commercial/industrial company to no avail, but I potentially have another one coming up so let's hope for that.

Thanks to all who took the time to read this. Also if anyone out there has any interview advice for me based upon what I've posted about myself that would be wonderful. My thoughts are to do what I did to get accepted into the Local, talk up my intelligence and hammer home my enthusiasm and excitement for the trade, being challenged and learning new things each and every day. Thanks again guys.

Post Likes
    Had some fun just tracking say headers designs of new (then) now installed GeoThermal for Ft Knox and the high schools 2007-2010; and mathematically, not calculus though, noticed head pressures in the 40 PSI and not 22-26 ft TDH water, were causing large HP requirements and inducing IBR boiler dudes and engineers to proclaim INCLUDE THE PUMP MEGAWATTS-Hours! (same goes for solar hi PD layouts...)

That was just a catch of the math, you may simply employ as a consultant.:::
    ALL GT-Pool-WAter-Source-heatpumps (WSHP,GTHP, WHP) and chillers, and -like water coils, WITH the entire fittings and piping fitted in train--- can be super efficient BELOW 22-26 TDH ft-water, and more so depending on the glycol used about 16-18% or methanol not-above 20% (!) -residentially and some commercially, since 1983, 16%-17% Methanol by Vol has been great for Northern GTHP, loops large enough for minm.2.7 GPM per actual labelled compressor ton inside a unit and fluid of 34*f or more, entering loop to unit temps/ heat-loaded systems that are "chillin' Earth Coupled Loops (ECL, gle, gtx) -all:
    MATHEMATICALLY
    ---an astute refrigeration tech just being artful, knows...

Post Likes
    RESULT:
    About those above 'high-school headers':
    ASHRAE had standards of absolute max PD/sugg-flows for piped systems (however may be inefficient to date) of "water" through plastic headers. A 'catch' of the math: Such were that too high of PD's in two attempted header designs, - so it was encouraged [barely thru GCof A/E, ASHRAE tables flying thru fax machines] for a third bidding- to at least increase pipe diameters to get flows UNDER those ASHRAE published maximums, reducing pumping (inefficient) horsepower to some 'reasonabilities' +bettering systemic potential savings, already over natural gas condensing boilers, and hw and heat-recovery and HRV/ERV with recovery- to- hot water heating as well circulation layouts and for use in cooling modes, for a high school. (just plain math) "building headers for flushing, not so much restricting general operation(s) of low-med speeds that are ~80% of the annually averaged runs.

3rd)
    Still your math skills can be immediately applied
    to tracking all loaded work(s) of thermal energy transfer, vs. the connected equipment, say TRUE NET COOLING/CHILLING tonnage K- Energy transfer. Right now all over this HVAC industry! Say, in existing schools and more so very large buildings applications: water/fluid circulation: constant (weight/vol, etc) 500(wtr) x GalPerMin x diffTemp*f (in to out at a water line) = BTUh (12,000 to a "ton" , hot or cold) - help everyone WATCH THE WORK actually loaded/needed/exchanged by monitoring cyclic activity to connected coolers and heaters, systemically presenting your 'hysterical' (some hysteresis) mathematically-tracked findings to friendly experienced techs and HVAC Engineers that can 'associate with you' and certify or stamp the findings, or they go out to inspect/verity with you/ your general contracting for a mutual profit and savings.

Simple math can support Lavalle's (heat exchangers) "efficiency" reports: -about how/what just 3% entrained air in water circulation to exchanger-surfaces and pump volute/blade surfaces in enclosed pressurized loops, where air escaped a bit to entangle, produces significantly less systemic efficiency.

MAHTHMAPERSON:
    WE NEED YOU NOW !

Post Likes
    Well I just got my first spanking for replying to a pro forum. I tend to subscribe to threads that are of interest to me and on impulse added my 2 cents and got deleted shortly after.

Sent from my Thunderbolt

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pnagel180 View Post
    Well I just got my first spanking for replying to a pro forum. I tend to subscribe to threads that are of interest to me and on impulse added my 2 cents and got deleted shortly after.

Sent from my Thunderbolt
    The pro forums are invisible to you until you get pro membership, that must have been the AOP forum.

As soon as you have 15 posts you can apply for pro.

Post Likes
    My bad. You are correct it was an AOP forum.

Sent from my Thunderbolt

Post Likes
    PN:

What else do you like in rfg; heat transfer; tech trouble shooting?

Poodle Head Mikey is offline Membership Chair/ARP Committee / Professional Member*
    I try to stay as far away from myself as I can.
    Post Likes
    I can't think of anything I Don't like in refrigeration.

Of course I would always prefer to do my own design, install it, pipe it, make it the best it can be, impress my friends, bask in the glow of my own admiration, and so forth - but more often I am left re-working what others have cobbled into more or less a pile of dog poop into some semblance of reasonable working order.

My work is really about solving problems. People have them - they present them to me - I solve them. On a related note; it has been somewhat weird over the years, although I guess in one way it Does make sense, in that my customers also often come to me to ask about solving all kinds of problems that are not refrigeration related. Construction, personal relationships, health issues, doctors, dentists, lawyers, business operations, real estate development, advertising, all kinds of things.

PHM
    ------

Quote Originally Posted by GT1980 View Post
    PN:

What else do you like in rfg; heat transfer; tech trouble shooting?
    PHM
    --------

When faced with the choice between changing one's mind, and proving that there is no need to do so, most tend to get busy on the proof.

Post Likes
    I started in the HVAC field when I was 19. My friends dad owned a residential HVAC company, and he hired a group of house for the summer to help with installs. I was kept on for the next four years due to my work ethic. I became proficient with installations and began to learn service. I then enrolled in college and studied business for the next five years. During the summers I would still work in HVAC. I've installed everything from residential systems in Florida to commercial systems in Colorado. I graduated in May of this year with my bachelors degree in business management. Now I am back working for a residential HVAC company. I am the A/C installer, trim out guy, performance tester, and service guy. I occasionally work on rough ins when the A/C side is slow. Our company only goes on service calls on equipment that we have installed, but that is a good thing as I dont have a lot of experience in that area. I intend on getting my Mech IV and contractors B license so I can start my own business. I hope to use this site to help educate myself.

Post Likes
    I just renewed my RSES membership that I let lapse over 20 years ago. It will be interesting to see some of the guys running it, who were some of my instructors back when i was in trade school.

Sent from my Thunderbolt

Post Likes
    I received my c-20 a few months back, and should have my DBA tomorrow. I've had my EPA certificate for a couple years now. Now I'm just setting up accounts with the distributors in my area, and trying to get an idea of what all the prices are. I'm curious to find in this forum everyones strategies for marketing. Cheers!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by IsaiahV View Post
    I received my c-20 a few months back, and should have my DBA tomorrow. I've had my EPA certificate for a couple years now. Now I'm just setting up accounts with the distributors in my area, and trying to get an idea of what all the prices are. I'm curious to find in this forum everyones strategies for marketing. Cheers!
    what part of country are you at?

Post Likes
    Do you know if there is any kind of violation or banning? Or does the posts just get deleted?

Post Likes
    you have to be pro to post in AOP (is that what you are referring to?)

Post Likes
    if problem solving involves continuing to learn things like "no one 'moves' heat' as th heat moves all by itself and memorizing a few (or have access to) formulae, I enjoy the mysteries and creative solutions (better ones that is) that I have found and build on to do well...

yu honest one dude ! goo'4U!

I wore a new suit a couple of times. Seemingly efficient and well-performing PRACTICAL systems per a situation, make me feel the same...

NNOW
    "PN"

PN:

What else do YOU like in rfg; heat transfer; tech trouble shooting?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by garychance View Post
    you have to be pro to post in AOP (is that what you are referring to?)
    To take this a step further...

Before you are permitted to post responses in the AOP sections of this site you must:

1. Become a Professional Member. This involves being approved by the Membership
    Committee.
    2. Apply to the AOP Committee and be approved as an AOP Professional Member.

Neither process is difficult, intrusive or onerous.

Post Likes
    started when I was in college, needed to pay for college,got part time job in htg and cooling, enjoyed it so much, jumped into htg and cooling and left college

Post Likes
    I went to college and got a Bachelor's, which didn't serve me well. Worked odd jobs but always enjoyed maintenance and doing "hands-on" things (my dad's a former auto mechanic). Ended up going back to school last year for HVAC/R and just finished that in Feb. I've been working in the field for a little over a year now and love it! First job was with a small residential company that like my people skills and now I'm with a larger residential/commercial company.

Poodle Head Mikey is offline Membership Chair/ARP Committee / Professional Member*
    I try to stay as far away from myself as I can.
    Post Likes

What? So you mean that somebody approved the likes of ME ????

Who ARE these people who would do such a thing ???

PHM
    -------

Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post
    To take this a step further...

Before you are permitted to post responses in the AOP sections of this site you must:

1. Become a Professional Member. This involves being approved by the Membership
    Committee.
    2. Apply to the AOP Committee and be approved as an AOP Professional Member.

Neither process is difficult, intrusive or onerous.
    PHM
    --------

When faced with the choice between changing one's mind, and proving that there is no need to do so, most tend to get busy on the proof.

Page 61 of 74 FirstFirst ... 115154555657585960616263646566676871 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in