Page 28 of 74 FirstFirst ... 1821222324252627282930313233343538 ... LastLast

Thread: Welcome to all New Guests going Pro? Do not post equipment questions in this forum

Post Likes
    the first company I worked for had me sweeping the shop and delivering parts to techs in the field. I did this for 6 months and then returned to BCIT for second term. I know I'm supposed to earn my stripes and whatnot, but I told that company that I wouldn't be back. Now I have a job with a reputable plumbing company. They have a modest (and relatively new) service division. Two plumbers and one refrig tech... And two of those are the same person! So they took me on as their aspiring HVAC tech. Being an apprentice-service tech can be stressfull at times, but I believe it is a great way to learn. Thrown to the wolves, as they say.
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

Post Likes
    Great site, I registered a while ago and recently was convinced by a co-worker to get on the site. I've been in this industry for several years as a residential service tech, journeyman licensed in 3 states and NATE certified. Looking to take RSES CM shortly. Looking forward to learning and sharing on this site!!!

Post Likes
    I've been in this industry for 20 yrs. in all facets of it.. Licensed and certified, but I still learn something new nearly everyday..

Post Likes

Talking

Ok, 28 years ago I got an electronics technologist cert, promptly went to work for a record manufacturer and then everyone switched to CDs. Record co went belly up. Wondered what to do so I thought, might as well become a carpenter. Good thought till 28oz framing hammers gave the wrist some bad trouble and couldn't frame houses anymore (this was before pneumatic nailers took off).
    A plumber on one site said, come help me install this boiler......I was hooked. Got my gas 1 ticket in Ontario and have installed and serviced just about every boiler going and the odd furnace.
    The electronics helped me to understand controls and fluid flow and also, having a bit of a environmental bent, got into the solar systems so for the last 20 years (self employed for most of it) it has been mainly boilers, floor heating, solar water and electric systems, heat pumps (GSHPs earlier and now air source). Keep learning....can't stop pushing the envelope.
    This site has a great variety of people on it with a wide amount of experience. A good read, I say.

Post Likes
    I'm getting into HVAC late. I've been an electrician for 30 years (I apprenticed with I guy in upstate NY who learned his stuff from T. Edison and G. Westinghouse ); Just recently took a job with a company managing the maintenance at a town home community. We've got 136 2 and 2.5 T carrier heat pumps and they took me knowing that I could fix anything electrical in my sleep, but the gas/fluid side of the equipment was like Rubic's cube to me.

Got my EPA cert and a clear understanding of how ignorant I am. Been running ever since.

Since starting with this outfit in September, 2010, I've managed to avoid blowing up or burning out anything that wasn't already on it's last legs (all the equipment is 12 years old and has been poorly maintained and serviced - no regular cleaning, chronically under-charged, repeatedly allowed to leak-down and run hot, air handlers in a closet off the kitchen with filter changes every 12 months whether they need it or not, etc.).

I've just found this forum and it's like an extra life boat on the Titanic!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by walklong View Post
    I'm getting into HVAC late. I've been an electrician for 30 years (I apprenticed with I guy in upstate NY who learned his stuff from T. Edison and G. Westinghouse ); Just recently took a job with a company managing the maintenance at a town home community. We've got 136 2 and 2.5 T carrier heat pumps and they took me knowing that I could fix anything electrical in my sleep, but the gas/fluid side of the equipment was like Rubic's cube to me.

Got my EPA cert and a clear understanding of how ignorant I am. Been running ever since.

Since starting with this outfit in September, 2010, I've managed to avoid blowing up or burning out anything that wasn't already on it's last legs (all the equipment is 12 years old and has been poorly maintained and serviced - no regular cleaning, chronically under-charged, repeatedly allowed to leak-down and run hot, air handlers in a closet off the kitchen with filter changes every 12 months whether they need it or not, etc.).

I've just found this forum and it's like an extra life boat on the Titanic!
    That sounds like your gonna have your hands full. There's a lot of low hanging fruit in that place.
    Fortunately it sounds like they are all similar units so you will get to know them quite well.

Post Likes
    Let's see i never took things apart or anything like that i would build things but that was it. i decided to go to school for hvac-r when i relized i live in the desert was born in the desert and will probally never leave the desert. after starting school i feel in love with it and now im half way in my school program and i still feel like i dont know mutch of anything about this field but i learn something new everyday. i was told by my first instructor i live in the best place for this field(arizona). and i found this site 3 days ago and thought i could get great help from here

Post Likes
    Hello everyone,

My name is Damon and I started in hvac back in high school. When I wanted my first summer job my father would only agree to me learning a trade, so I became a helper for a rough in crew. Now more than 20 years later I am a working supervisor doing startup and warranty.

I joined your community when searching for some ways to reduce costs and speed up duct blasting process. This new energy star requirements are very time consuming. Anyway, after browsing you forums I'm glad I joined and look forward to sharing my experience and learning from y'alls.

Post Likes
    Hi im chase, when I was younger I would take things apart and my dad would have to help me put them back together. But my dad has been in the business for 34 years and knew a bunch of people. One of the guys he knew has a control company and he got me a interview with them and I started 2 weeks later. I have now been at this company for a year, and have learned tons and have been all over our company doing many things. I started out in trend/ novar and johnson install, and now I am programming and commissioning for trend/ novar. I have learned tons in the past year and learning something new everyday.

Post Likes
    I took a few minutes to scroll back in this thread. Looking at all the new guest we have here that are in the business or just starting out. Many of you are still "Guests" and have not applied for Pro.

I totally understand busy or not posting as much as you can to get to 15 post but I assure you the benefits of becoming a Pro Member here are many.

Look at my Signature. There is a link to become a Pro Member. It's is free and only takes a few minutes to fill out and send. So, let's get off the stick guys and gals. Become a Pro Member by sending in your application today. It will take a few weeks to be reviewed by the Membership Committee.

Thx.

Post Likes
    Listen to Dad, children,(LOL) Becoming a pro member of this forum is one of the best things I have done. Making contacts is job #1 in the controls biz and this is one great site to start making them with! Best of luck, and don't feel like you won't make it, if you know your stuff, you'll make pro!
    When it is said that BacNet is a better protocol than LonWorks, I die a little more inside.
    ~knottyjabe

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Dad View Post
    I took a few minutes to scroll back in this thread. Looking at all the new guest we have here that are in the business or just starting out. Many of you are still "Guests" and have not applied for Pro.

I totally understand busy or not posting as much as you can to get to 15 post but I assure you the benefits of becoming a Pro Member here are many.

Look at my Signature. There is a link to become a Pro Member. It's is free and only takes a few minutes to fill out and send. So, let's get off the stick guys and gals. Become a Pro Member by sending in your application today. It will take a few weeks to be reviewed by the Membership Committee.

Thx.

that's the only way you can start a thread asking HOW LONG does it take.....
    It`s better to be silent and thought the fool; than speak and remove all doubt.

Post Likes

Thx.
    you can bet your paycheck you will be seeing my app as soon as I hit the magic number

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by keef View Post
    you can bet your paycheck you will be seeing my app as soon as I hit the magic number
    Would you type that again... sorry there must be a little static on the line.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by dandyme View Post
    that's the only way you can start a thread asking HOW LONG does it take.....
    No thread should ever be about "how long does it take".

We, on the Membership Committee go through a lot of unnecessary work to determine if applicants are qualified or not, simply because we get so little basic information sometimes.

The Membership Committee very much appreciates those applicants who have provided enough information that we don't have to go searching for things such as licensing, areas of expertise in the industry or even your correct HVAC-Talk.com username.

As in everything else in our industry, the quality of your application is determined by the amount of usable information provided. When we get garbage input, we only have garbage to work with.

This week alone, we have received a minimum of a dozen applications that do not qualify for pro-application for very basic lack of input from the applicants.
    Training is important!
    Practical Training is a must!

Post Likes
    That's the Membership Committee Chair speaking. So guys.... listen up. He's not here to keep you out of Pro but if the info is not what he is looking for then it will not only delay the process but irritate Mr. Chair.

Post Likes
    That's the Membership Committee Chair speaking. So guys.... listen up. He's not here to keep you out of Pro but if the info is not what he is looking for then it will not only delay the process but irritate Mr. Chair.

Understood, however, I'm sure I'm not alone. I am still in classes learning the trade. I will be taking the EPA exam next month. As of right now my list of accreditation is very short in the HVAC field. I am very interested in learning and because my knowledge is short I couldn't give any advice in fixing anything right now nor would I fee comfortable doing so. So my posts for now are general posts.
    If you were talking car modification I could provide you with tons of info and back ground. LOL

Post Likes
    irritate Mr. Chair.
    I did not know that was possible.
    Politicians need to be changed like diapers, and for the same reason.
    Mark Twain

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by keef View Post
    Understood, however, I'm sure I'm not alone. I am still in classes learning the trade. I will be taking the EPA exam next month. As of right now my list of accreditation is very short in the HVAC field. I am very interested in learning and because my knowledge is short I couldn't give any advice in fixing anything right now nor would I fee comfortable doing so. So my posts for now are general posts.
    If you were talking car modification I could provide you with tons of info and back ground. LOL
    The most importan purpose of this site is the betterment of the HVAC industry from every aspect. That means that we want everyone who is working on a daily basis in the HVAC industry to have as much access to associated professional forums as is possible.

NO ONE who has chosen the HVAC industry as their professional field should feel like they are not qualified. If all you have is your HVAC schooling credentials, that is all you need. We need the questions of those with the least amount of experience as well as the answers for the most experienced of us in order to continue keeping up with the needs of our chosen industry.

In one way or another, every professional conversation has the opportunity to enhance our overall knowledge. We on the Membership Committee want applicants to become professional members. Our job is to get as many qualified members professional status as quickly as is possible so there can be more discussion.

If you are working or going to school full time for the HVAC industry, and you have the qualifying amount of posts, get your application along with something showing your HVAC affiliation in to the Membership Committee so we can tell Dad to open the gates to a vast amount of information to you.
    Training is important!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Gib's Son View Post
    I did not know that was possible.
    Tis true, I am quite the stable and rational sort
    Training is important!

Page 28 of 74 FirstFirst ... 1821222324252627282930313233343538 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in