Page 57 of 74 FirstFirst ... 74750515253545556575859606162636467 ... LastLast
Results 1,121 to 1,140 of 1468

Thread: Welcome to all New Guests going Pro? Do not post equipment questions in this forum

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Poodle Head Mikey View Post
    I have also been doing it a long time. But I still like it. And I also like that everyone I come along behind is apparently ignorant, stupid, and unthinking. Because while I used to have to actually Work at appearing to be a genius, now more and more I barely have to make an effort to seem like the best there has ever been. I liked R-12, but I like R-409 and R-414. True; not as much, but there is no R-12 anymore so who cares? Same with R-410. I liked R-22 but if it's going away - what am I supposed to do? Shoot myself? The world is what it is. But I can tell you this: no matter what is available to work with - I Am going to make it work to the very best of it's ability.

PHM
    ------
    I don't believe most people I go behind are stupid,ignorant or unthinking. I think most of it is lack of knowledge and understanding of the equipment and the basic operation of the equipment (which I have no problem with). My issues start because instead of trying to find the solution to a problem they try to BS their way to a solution (totally misdiagnose, order parts because they have no idea whats wrong ect...) I have no problem helping people who need help but they have to ask for it. It seems they think it is a sign of weakness or they have to much pride to admit they don't know something. I am just tired of lying to customers to cover someones lack of knowledge, pride or whatever you want to call it (also tired of customers complaints of previous techs).
    When my A/C dies I think I am going to stay with R22 but have not really decided yet. I have 20lbs of R12 but nothing to use it on
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

Post Likes

Hi, my name is Dan and I'm an alcoholic...

Wait, wrong group (JK).

Actually my first intro to refrigeration was working on automotive A/C, back when R12 was $1.49 a can. During the late 70's I went into electronics as a TV repairman then copiers (dad was a nuclear instrumentaion engineer, so I was exposed to electronics since I could walk). Did some work as an electrician.

Then in '79 I was hired on at a large controls firm (that appears to get a little bashing here - pretty funny). Back then they handed you a box of books, a bag of tools, some parts, and you were a tech! Boy was I green back then, but never afraid to ask questions or admit I was over my head.

We still did a lot of pneumatic controls back then - not many of us left anymore, at least around here. Electric, electronic controls, then computers! Our first computer system (not yet DDC) was loaded via toggle switches and paper tape reader. The next one stepped up to cassette tapes, it took hours to load and verify a cpu. Now look where the industry has come, wow.

Although I have do have type I, II, III universal certification, and have done some refrigeration work, I really never could say I was a refrigeration tech. I have pretty much stuck with controls, mostly for medium/large commercial buildings.

I really enjoy writing software for complex control sequences - large chiller plants, thermal storage, etc., of course most of the work is the usual building with chiller(s), boiler(s), AH's, VAV's Fan Coils, etc. We also do a fair amount of systems integration, I got Niagara AX certified a couple years back and like it a lot.

I don't think I will ever get tired of what I do - One day I am writing software, next I am the "factory startup guy" for a bunch of VFD drives, before I know it I'm terminating a large DDC panel, then trying to coax modbus data out of a boiler control panel into a Jace. It's rarely boring.

The largest chiller plant I have done totaled 12,000 tons worth of centrifugal machines, they also had a 7 million gallon underground thermal storage tank farm. It was there I learned how to get a 36" schedule 80 chilled water line to jump 2" off it's hangers by starting a 450hp pump at the wrong time (it was a long time ago...). This was also where I was introduced to HP steam, and learned real quick I better get some training before I killed myself or someone else.

This forum looks like it has a tremendous wealth of knowledge, and I look forward to shamelessly tapping into it! Might be able to give a tidbit back too, you never know.

Dan

Poodle Head Mikey is offline Membership Chair/ARP Committee / Professional Member*
    I try to stay as far away from myself as I can.
    Post Likes
    I don't lie to customers so I never was able to get tired of it. I don't even criticize most of the dummy-work I get to see any more. Now most often now I just grin and say: Well . . . . it's sure not the way EYE would have done it! Then I make it as happy and nice looking as I can before I grin again and say: "Now take a look; see what I mean?

I have long thought that on my next "re-work my house A/C" adventure I would use either propane or R-404. But I have so many projects and things to do that maybe I will just use R-410 and be done with it. It seems like it might be a long way off too as for my house now I have 18,000 BTU compressors running in 36,000 condensing units. So their life is already pretty relaxed.

PHM
    ------

Quote Originally Posted by snowytgr1 View Post
    I don't believe most people I go behind are stupid,ignorant or unthinking. I think most of it is lack of knowledge and understanding of the equipment and the basic operation of the equipment (which I have no problem with). My issues start because instead of trying to find the solution to a problem they try to BS their way to a solution (totally misdiagnose, order parts because they have no idea whats wrong ect...) I have no problem helping people who need help but they have to ask for it. It seems they think it is a sign of weakness or they have to much pride to admit they don't know something. I am just tired of lying to customers to cover someones lack of knowledge, pride or whatever you want to call it (also tired of customers complaints of previous techs).
    When my A/C dies I think I am going to stay with R22 but have not really decided yet. I have 20lbs of R12 but nothing to use it on
    PHM
    --------

When faced with the choice between changing one's mind, and proving that there is no need to do so, most tend to get busy on the proof.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Poodle Head Mikey View Post
    I don't lie to customers so I never was able to get tired of it. I don't even criticize most of the dummy-work I get to see any more. Now most often now I just grin and say: Well . . . . it's sure not the way EYE would have done it! Then I make it as happy and nice looking as I can before I grin again and say: "Now take a look; see what I mean?

I have long thought that on my next "re-work my house A/C" adventure I would use either propane or R-404. But I have so many projects and things to do that maybe I will just use R-410 and be done with it. It seems like it might be a long way off too as for my house now I have 18,000 BTU compressors running in 36,000 condensing units. So their life is already pretty relaxed.

PHM
    ------
    it is not that I actually lie to the customer i just dont tell them everything but it feels like i am lying. I just fix the problem and just say they probably had a bad day (the previous tech) or somwthing like that. I refuse to throw them under a bus (as the saying goes). I have to many customers that request me and only me and will wait until i am free to get their repairs done which i think is rediculous (but good for the ego). Most of the techs (not all though) we have are perfectly capeable of repairing the equipment but they need to take pride in their work and just be more thorough checking out a system. I was sent out to replace defrost board and coils sensor on one call that the tech condemed because he could not get it into defrost. The origional call was for high bills and he never even checked the charge (which was almost void of refrigerant). Trane defrost board flashes codes and he did not even check the board just condemed it (it was flashing a code of 20 defrosts terminated on time). I bet if I talked to the customer he probably tried to sell them new equipment since it was r22 (the system was still under parts warranty). I made them send him back to leak search system and after 2 1/2 hrs he said only thing leaking was schrader cores (as if I have nerer heard that one before lol). I ended up going back about a week later because aux heat was on all the time. Put gauges on and again almost empty. leak checked entire system and indoor coil leaked (only checked system to be sure no other leaks on it). I would like to know how someone can spend 2 1/2 hours leak checking a system and not find a leak (besides the schrader cores) where if you opened your eyes you can visibably see a lot of oil in the drain pan. It is crap like this that upsets me. Some people say "it's job security" i say its just being lazy or just not wanting to do the job (or repair) but I guess it is what it is and I'm getting paid.
    Not sure you all do this but in my house I added a second system to my attic. So I now have 2 zones heating and 1 zone cooling (i did not have the money to do 2 total systems at the time). I split 2 coils and linked both blowers to give me the single zone cooling. I would have just zoned my house but there were just to many zoning board failures when I did this. Now the zoning boards seem to be more reliable so when my lower system (i think its 16 yrs old) has to be replaced I might just zone the house and remove the attic furnace. In that case I would just replace with r41a but if I keep it 2 zones I would stay r22. Not really sure which I would rather do. I hate heat pumps but I am actually even considering a hybred system since electric is cheaper than gas here.

Post Likes
    i live in north ga. and have been told by the office of secratary of state that they will take your truck and tools if you are caught doing this work with out a contractors lic.

Post Likes
    think i may have replied to the wrong person, so i will say it again. the office of the secratary of state told me that they will take your truck and tools along with fines if you are caught working without a contractors lic. in the state of ga. i hope you got what you need before they get you.

Post Likes
    As I stated on my intro thread, I got into this business through the commercial cooking equipment industry. I am not, nor have ever been an hvac tech, only refrigeration and cooking equipment. I worked at a regional repair company since 2005. When the economy started to shift, I began to feel as though they were pushing me out the door as I was the tech who lived the farthest away, and while they kept me in my area running service calls, the fact of the matter was that many customers didn't call on us because we were to expensive. (my area is VERY rural) So it was difficult for me to hold a high productivity.

In early 2012 I decided I would relieve my employer of the burden of having me on their payroll and tendered my resignation. I began stocking groceries while I obtained my contractors license. My employer was correct. The market in this area is tough and work was slow coming in, even for me. So later on in the year I added the "home improvement" classification to my contractors license (in addition to the original "refrigeration" classification) and began painting, drywall work, and other basic home repairs as a means to diversify my income.

In December of 2012 I went from full time to part time at the grocery store, and only work on weekends. During the week I grow my business, and so far it's been pretty busy. In fact, since Christmas I think I've only had maybe one or two days where I had nothing to do.

Moving forward my goal is to pay off a few debts and save a certain amount of money in the business account before I cut dies with the grocery store all together, but I hope to be there in the next 12 - 18 months.

I have my EPA certification type I and II. VA contractors license class C, classification HIC and REF, I am factory trained on Hobart meat room equipment, warewashers, scales, hlx scales, UWS wrappers, and bakery equipment. I also have attended many small training sessions and seminars on scotsman ice makers, manitowoc, henny penny, electrolux, pitco to name a few.

Post Likes
    At my company we have a department dedicated completely to starting new homes up. We don't install the equipment, we go out when the house is almost completely finished and wire everything up, install t'stats, charge the unit, etc. Is this a common thing throughout the country? Or do your guys' new home installers do the "start up" as well?

Post Likes
    Hello all!!..i am starting hvac/r school very soon and am looking forward to this new adventure in my life. There are 2 schools in my area, a comm. college and an hvac excellence accredited technical school. A business owner i spoke with said the hvac excellence could be "paid for" and that I would be fine with attending the CC. Any extra info would be highly appreciated. Thanks

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by NY Newbie View Post
    Hello all!!..i am starting hvac/r school very soon and am looking forward to this new adventure in my life. There are 2 schools in my area, a comm. college and an hvac excellence accredited technical school. A business owner i spoke with said the hvac excellence could be "paid for" and that I would be fine with attending the CC. Any extra info would be highly appreciated. Thanks
    I graduated from the tech school in my area this past September and I am glad I decided to go there. At my company now it's about a 60/40 split with the majority of people going to community college, but I'm really happy with my choice.

Community college will require you to take some classes unrelated to HVAC, while the tech school will direct you much more towards your technical training. And as far as "HVAC Excellence" goes, I am pretty sure that's not something employers really look for. At least not out here.

Post Likes
    Thanks for the info and congrats on your graduating. I actually lived in Vegas before moving to NY and i was looking at ATI at one point. Ive been accepted to both so its really just decision time for me. The tech school is a year long with a certificate compared to two years at the CC plus i would have an AOS upon graduation. I know you get what you put in to it and im ready to be a sponge so again thanks alot for the info and good luck in your career.

Post Likes
    Are you talking post as in any reply to others threads or threads you create.

Post Likes
    I started out in the Heating Plant at WIU. Did not like being confined to one location and since my promotional line ran to UMR position or Engineer I thought I would take a few refrigeration courses. Found a great course at Illinois Central College and could not stop till I completed all the courses they had. Now I just have to finish a few prerequisits and I have my Associates degree. I have taken a possition as UMR and enjoy every day, never knowing what I'm going to be working on. On the right track and hopefully will complete an Engineering degree before I retire.

Post Likes
    I grew up outside of Orlando, FL, and shortly after High School I decided I wanted to give this industry a shot. I moved to the DFW area and started working for my uncle's father-in-law. I knew absolutely nothing about anything, and was more interested in girls and trucks. After 8 months I decided to move back to Florida; I was way too immature to handle the responsibilities that were being placed on me, and I didn't want to burn my bridges here. 5 years later, I had grown up a bit (removed my head from my back side) and decided to move back. 6 years solid in this industry, all on the job training, and I'm confident in my service techniques and diagnosing skills in the areas I'm familiar with, but I'm well aware that I still don't know squat in the whole scheme of things...lol. Most of my experience is with Trane IPAK and Voyagers, Carrier VVT, Carrier/Lennox/York/etc. small package units, pneumatic systems, vavs/fpbs, Lieberts, and semi-hermetic compressors. I don't get on this site as much as I'd like to, but it truly is a great place to learn new information and bounce thoughts/ideas off other techs for some excellent feedback.

Post Likes
    I started out at a young age living in a small rural community with nothing to do but fish and learn how to repair just about everything around the house, I gradually started making money working for local farmers repairing barns , tractors, and vehicles.
    I attended vocational school not wanting to limit myself to just one field but learn as much as I could in all fields of study they had to offer.
    When I started working in the hvacr business I had some basic knowledge of heat and aircondionting systems , but didn't tell my employer at the time, I'm not a "know- it all" type person and he put me with a tech that has been working doing this for well over 15yrs, he has taught me a lot, I learn something everyday .
    Each coworker I work with must be willing to work , show up for work everyday and have a positive attitude . We help each other but are able to do each others job, never stand with your hands in your pocket philosophy! Thanks and looking forward to reading others post

Post Likes
    (french-canadian alert, correct the mistakes please )

I got out of school in december 2010 and found a first job 3 months later in a small company 80miles from where I was living that did only mini-split residential installation. I learned a lot there on how to prepare the truck and do an effective and fast job as we could install 4 mini-split a day when it went good. But after sometimes another company called me which I really wanted to work for with better salary, union and health insurance but still had to drive 1 hour every morning and evening to get to. Still I decided to join them and started doing some service with the main tech there. god I loved it but after a month I returned with another tech on the installation rush since it was summer and the main tech could handle the service on is own. As fall arrived and I was sent into the north along with the shop's control techs on native communities to do controls on construction site, mainly doing wiring and EMT pipes. Did that til spring came back along with the maintenance, services and installations.

Its a small company of about 10 people, we have 2 electro-mecanics, 2 control techs, 3 electricians and 2 HVAC techs including myself. The boss as both electrician and refrigeration contractor licenses. We also now have an aeronautic department, building helicopters lol! Its pretty different everyday and I learn stuff in multiple domain. But now its time for me to get to a higher step as the boss as call for me to replace the main tech in about a year!!! He's been working in the field for over 15 years now so I have big shoes to wear and I think this site could help a lot reaching that goal !!

Post Likes
    My father and grandpa have been in business for 40 years so I have been around the industry most of my life; however, he wanted me to go my own way to find out what I wanted to do. I ended up going to Oklahoma state university for a finance degree, worked for MetLife for about 3 months and decided I couldn't sit behind a desk all day every day. Now I'm 6 months into my apprenticeship doing installation and a little bit of service with my dad.

They also have me training in the office once a week using my financial skills as a way to help benefit.

In 6 months its amazing what I have learned, before I started I didn't even know what a return air was. Now I can comfortably install returns and supply ducts myself, and even do a little bit of wiring. I can't wait to keep learning more!

Post Likes
    My father is an HVACR technician, and I started to follow him to work for few years now. We do installation work mostly for restaurants and residential places. Some works that we do are, install all type of restaurant equipment, such as rooftop ac, split system ac, walk in boxes, remote fridge/freezers, exhaust hood, and even kitchen equipment such as their stoves and ovens etc... As for residential areas, other than their heating systems, we also install mini split ac system, main Fujitsu mini split, which are getting alot popular these days. And of course, we do repair on all these systems too.
    As of now, my knowledge is still limited, I wanna learn more about this field, and be an expert at it. Talk to you guys soon.

Post Likes

Me to.

Quote Originally Posted by EEAllen View Post
    My father is an HVACR technician, and I started to follow him to work for few years now. We do installation work mostly for restaurants and residential places. Some works that we do are, install all type of restaurant equipment, such as rooftop ac, split system ac, walk in boxes, remote fridge/freezers, exhaust hood, and even kitchen equipment such as their stoves and ovens etc... As for residential areas, other than their heating systems, we also install mini split ac system, main Fujitsu mini split, which are getting alot popular these days. And of course, we do repair on all these systems too.
    As of now, my knowledge is still limited, I wanna learn more about this field, and be an expert at it. Talk to you guys soon.
    I have to say that I to would like to become an expert at it. But like all things about the time I think I've got it all figured out I learn something new.

Post Likes
    Long time installer with weak service skills that I hope to improve with sites like this and the local classes.

Page 57 of 74 FirstFirst ... 74750515253545556575859606162636467 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in