Page 3 of 74 FirstFirst 123456789101353 ... LastLast

Thread: Welcome to all New Guests going Pro? Do not post equipment questions in this forum

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by supertek65 View Post
    65 degrees????????????????
    yeah 65 degrees. its a locked and monitored computer room. if you shut the AC units the temp rises to 80 within 30 minutes. That why they have the heat gun. they were tearing the panels off using the heat gun and warm water to defrost the unit in 10-15 minutes
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Klay View Post
    I thought you were saying a whole in the line set, like a leak. Now I see, said the blind man.
    the hole is the 4'' by 48'' double filter coveron the sheetmetal

Post Likes
    i grabbed my flash light and i cant see through the indoor coil. ice is gone. i moved the location of the freeze stat so its actually insidethe fins and not loosely flapping on the coil. i guess it would take alot for the stat to measure freezing temps if its just measuring return air temp.hahaha

Post Likes
    Wow. the coil is completely closed. i even tried putting a metal kabob stick trough the coil but couldnt make it past the first layer of dirt.

Post Likes

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Tlaloc289 View Post
    Wow. the coil is completely closed. i even tried putting a metal kabob stick trough the coil but couldnt make it past the first layer of dirt.
    I was curious about this, (I'm new to the field so please excercise some patience) I hadn't heard anyone mention it, or don't recall any talk of a coil so dirty, it would have to be replaced. Having been under these conditions for so long, is the coil still salvageable? What kind of time frame is your co. allowing you to fight with this?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Klay View Post
    I was curious about this, (I'm new to the field so please excercise some patience) I hadn't heard anyone mention it, or don't recall any talk of a coil so dirty, it would have to be replaced. Having been under these conditions for so long, is the coil still salvageable? What kind of time frame is your co. allowing you to fight with this?
    Im a service Tech but the place im working on hired me as a maintenance guy. they figured it was cheaper to hire and keep a service tech on staff than call someone every week. They want me to save the coil. so I will do my best, they have alot of these spray coil cleaner bottles and all the time in the world. ill post my results later on

Post Likes
    Use a foaming coil cleaner and compressed air or nitrogen.

You *should* be able to get that cleaned well enough to work.

If that fails, a pressure washer can also be used, CAREFULLY!

Post Likes
    anything can be cleaned!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    but for us at $150 an hour it would have been replaced a long time ago!!!!!!!!
    true knowledge exists in knowing that you know nothing.

Post Likes
    Very new to this but would like to hear the outcome. My teacher talked about this type of situation. Never do severe. Want to know what I would have to do in such a situation.

Post Likes
    anything can be cleaned!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    but for us at $150 an hour it would have been replaced a long time ago!!!!!!!!
    That's all???

We should probably be a little careful about prices in an open forum.

Post Likes
    that is just a rounded number!!!!!!!!!!!!

you will have to guess if i rounded up or down or to the nearest 10 , 50, or 100??????????????????????????????????????????????? ?

Quote Originally Posted by chuckcrj View Post
    That's all???

We should probably be a little careful about prices in an open forum.

Post Likes
    that is just a rounded number!!!!!!!!!!!!

you will have to guess if i rounded up or down or to the nearest 10 , 50, or 100??????????????????????????????????????????????? ?
    No problem!! I thought it was a general number!!!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Tlaloc289 View Post
    Im a service Tech but the place im working on hired me as a maintenance guy. they figured it was cheaper to hire and keep a service tech on staff than call someone every week. They want me to save the coil. so I will do my best, they have alot of these spray coil cleaner bottles and all the time in the world. ill post my results later on
    Sounds tedious. Guess you know what you'll be doing for a while huh? Best of luck. Keep us posted, let me know what you find to work best. One of our tech's had four outdoor coils all next to each other in a corner, the hotel decided to run a sprikler on them for a few years. Poor guy had to clean the walls, the units, and the coils. All of them covered in calcium build up. I'm sure the bill will prompt them next time to get service sooner rather then later.

Post Likes

Techman49

Hello all. I am so glad that I have taken the time to register to this site. I love what I do and the company I work for. My name is Darrell and I live in ky. I will do my best to help those that come on here and ask questions and I f I do not know the answer right then I will find the answerand get back with you. I myself need help sometimes just like the rest off the world. If I can be of anyhelp ,just let me know ok. Thank you Darrell

Post Likes

Hi everybody

Hey to everyone out there. I'm new to the trade though it seems very interesting. So I'm originally from upstate SC. I moved to western NC and I worked as a residential electrician with a company there for a few years until the housing market crashed then I did side work to keep busy. I couldn't pass the PSI electrical exam so I decided to change direction. I got enrolled in school for HVAC last term and I'm really glad I did. I've got a great instructor that's been in the field for over 40 years originally navy trained. One day I'd like to own my own refrigeration company.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by mrsparky85 View Post
    Hey to everyone out there. I'm new to the trade though it seems very interesting. So I'm originally from upstate SC. I moved to western NC and I worked as a residential electrician with a company there for a few years until the housing market crashed then I did side work to keep busy. I couldn't pass the PSI electrical exam so I decided to change direction. I got enrolled in school for HVAC last term and I'm really glad I did. I've got a great instructor that's been in the field for over 40 years originally navy trained. One day I'd like to own my own refrigeration company.
    Quote Originally Posted by Techman49 View Post
    Hello all. I am so glad that I have taken the time to register to this site. I love what I do and the company I work for. My name is Darrell and I live in ky. I will do my best to help those that come on here and ask questions and I f I do not know the answer right then I will find the answerand get back with you. I myself need help sometimes just like the rest off the world. If I can be of anyhelp ,just let me know ok. Thank you Darrell

Welcome to you both! Hope you enjoy the forums.

The statement below is my signature and just my overall feeling towards our industry and does not necessarily pertain to you nor this thread.

There really isn't a legitimate excuse for not doing the job correctly!

Post Likes
    welcome Sparky, welcome Darrell!!!!!!!!!!

Post Likes
    update on the coil. i used some cans of a Snake expandanding foam. it helpped take out a layer of dirt. I still have alot to go and was informed that they did some construction and had alot of sheetrock dust in coming out of the register. this stuff seems to be coming out but is too thick to go anywhere. Tomorrow i will grab the preasure washer and spray it. Again the other problem that i have is this is for a computer room that cannot have the AC off for more than 15 minutes at a time so i think this is an all week project. If i save the coil it will save them XXX amount of money (at least on peper) so thats the only option I have.

Post Likes
    Hi guys, new to the forum and fairly new to the business. I've been in the trucking industry most of my life. Out of everything I've worked on with a truck, the A/C system was my favorite part. Don't ask me why, its just always intrigued me. I met a fellow about 10 years ago that was doing residential but started out doing mobile A/C repair. We were talking one day and he told me how much easier doing residential was. We've been friends ever since and I've spent as much time tooling around with him as possible. I got hurt on the job in 2008 and had to have a 3 level ACDF done on my cervical spine. The doctors told me that I would probably never be able to drive a truck again. So I decided to change direction and sign up at the local technical school for HVAC classes. My friend that's in the business told me that I to just go try and take the test to get the EPA certification. He seems to think I'm a real smart fellow, boy do I have him fooled Anyway, I went and took the test and passed it first shot, I took all of them and got the universal certification. My friend tells me that going to school is just going to be a waste of time and money. He went to the same school that i was enrolled for and said that he didn't really learn anything that really helped him once he got out in the field. So I went looking for a job and couldn't find one, there was plenty of interest, just not enough work. So I had to have a job, I wound up getting back in the truck, how I passed the physical, God only knows. I just can't keep doing it though, it's killing me, I just decided last year that I was going to go to work for myself. I bought a service truck and have most of my tools bought up. I just need to start stocking parts on it now so I'll be ready when spring gets here. I have a lot of questions and I'm sure there'll be more once I get going, so I'm glad I found this resource. Here's one to get started with, we put in a new split system heat pump for a guy a month of so ago on my days off. My friend went back and wired it up and couldn't get it to work. So yesterday, I went back over there with him and I got the schematic out and started pouring over it. I'm pretty good at it for some reason and my friend is up three in age so he don't see so good anymore. I figured out what was wrong and rewired it and got it going. This particular unit has heat strips for back up as most of them do here in GA. Here's my question, I've asked my friend and he's not real sure either. Some of these heat pumps, when they start up, the strips come on for a few minutes and then drop out. I can only assume it's to get some instant heat until the heat pump starts generating some heat. I've also seen some of them kick the strips on if you raise the temp. on the t-stat up 4 or 5 degrees. But it doesn't seem that all of them work the same way. Does anyone here know how they are supposed to work or does it differ with manufacturers?

Post Likes
    Welcome to the site uzzo2,

The EPA license only means you can legally hook up gauges to an A/C unit...but in order to do HVAC service work (in most places I know of) you need to have a Journeyman license and work under someone who has a Master's license and cannot run a company without the Master's license.

If I am reading your post right, then what you are doing is illegal and makes you a handyman do it yourself guy...not an HVAC guy.

I personally would recommend getting into the trade legitimately.

The statement below is my signature and just my overall feeling towards our industry and does not necessarily pertain to you nor this thread.

There really isn't a legitimate excuse for not doing the job correctly!

Page 3 of 74 FirstFirst 123456789101353 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in