Page 26 of 74 FirstFirst ... 1619202122232425262728293031323336 ... LastLast

Thread: Welcome to all New Guests going Pro? Do not post equipment questions in this forum

Post Likes
    i got an associates degree in hvac. work for a hvac business owner who does residential. i have worked the summer. i am currently his apprentice. i have done calls my self, but only ones he felt i could do right the first time. i have set and hooked up at least 20 condensing units so far. from setting the pad to wiring and brazing.
    i knew i had a lot to learn, now i know i have a lot to learn.
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

Post Likes
    i started out in college after high school. i went to community college. my first major was in computer info systems, i changed to computer repair because i had problems with the computer language. you see all computer people in IT started out in their teens, and by college they are programers. i was behind the curve and i was not worth teaching. i went to the repair side but i left it after a couple semesters. i had family problems, then the industry components increased by 500 percent in capacity

i like working with my hands and i have noticed that the computers are very heavy now.

Post Likes
    Got a question. Are there people who only program and maintain on control systems? If so, who do these people work for? Are any of them independent? What is their education and experience background?

Just curious, for now ...

Post Likes

First Post.

Hi Dad and Family

I've been coming here for quite a while now, 'bout time I posted.

I started in this industry in 1962 in the US Air Force. I wanted to get into electronics, the Sergeant who recruited me said those slots were all full but that there was an "electrical control/HVAC" slot open. I was 19, unemployed, and quickly signed on the dotted line! After basic training I attended a 600 hour Air Conditioning and Equipment Cooling course (AFSC 54530Y) at Shepard AFB in Wichita Falls, Texas in 1962. We were awakened at 4:30am, marched to the chow hall at 5am and were in the classroom from 6am to 12 noon 5 days a week for 6 months.

I was stationed on two remote radar sites during my four year AF career and got to actually work on refrigeration and AC systems. There were only three of us so we would be on emergency call every 3 weeks. The very first time I was called out was for a cold computer room. The computer room was full of big vacuum tubes and iron coil memory devices and condensation could cause problems. When I entered the equipment room the first thing I saw was a rather out of place blowtorch on the side of the boiler. A pipe union was loose and the gas leaking out had ignited, thus my first impression of a blowtorch. The flame must have been three feet long. Of course when I saw what was happening my first instinct was to put out the fire. The bucket of sand by the door, in place in case of a fire emergency, did the trick instantly. With the fire out and the sound of leaking gas hissing loudly chastening me for being so stupid as to actually put the fire out without stopping the flow of gas, I threw open the double equipment room doors and then immediately realized I had no access to any tools with which to close the gas cock. Believe me, the 15 or 20 minutes I waited for a senior mechanic to arrive with a shop key and a valve wrench seemed like hours.

That was my initiation to this trade and while nothing that dramatic has happened since, it has been a very interesting trip to say the least.

Post Likes

First Post.

Hi Dad and Family

I've been coming here for quite a while now, 'bout time I posted.

I started in this industry in 1962 in the US Air Force. I wanted to get into electronics, the Sergeant who recruited me said those slots were all full but that there was an "electrical control/HVAC" slot open. I was 19, unemployed, and quickly signed on the dotted line! After basic training I attended a 600 hour Air Conditioning and Equipment Cooling course (AFSC 54530Y) at Shepard AFB in Wichita Falls, Texas in 1962. We were awakened at 4:30am, marched to the chow hall at 5am and were in the classroom from 6am to 12 noon 5 days a week for 6 months.

I was stationed on two remote radar sites during my four year AF career and got to actually work on refrigeration and AC systems. There were only three of us so we would be on emergency call every 3 weeks. The very first time I was called out was for a cold computer room. The computer room was full of big vacuum tubes and iron coil memory devices and condensation could cause problems. When I entered the equipment room the first thing I saw was a rather out of place blowtorch on the side of the boiler. A pipe union was loose and the gas leaking out had ignited, thus my first impression of a blowtorch. The flame must have been three feet long. Of course when I saw what was happening my first instinct was to put out the fire. The bucket of sand by the door, in place in case of a fire emergency, did the trick instantly. With the fire out and the sound of leaking gas hissing loudly chastening me for being so stupid as to actually put the fire out without stopping the flow of gas, I threw open the double equipment room doors and then immediately realized I had no access to any tools with which to close the gas cock. Believe me, the 15 or 20 minutes I waited for a senior mechanic to arrive with a shop key and a valve wrench seemed like hours.

That was my initiation to this trade and while nothing that dramatic has happened since, it has been a very interesting trip to say the least.

Post Likes
    It is amazing how different our experiences are getting into the business.

I was working at K-Mart in the electronics department out of High School. After about 6 months, my department manager approached me and told me I was a great employee, but would probably go nowhere at K-Mart (and at 19 years old.. I was looking that far ahead?). She let me know her husband had a small commercial refrigeration/HVAC company and needed a good helper. I went for it. I started out as a go-fer, and helping with installs of AC systems in Mobile Homes. As I rode around with him, he would slowly show me different things and how it all worked. Eventually I was installing on my own and doing some residential service. After the weekend he went to the beach and left me on call and I figured out that I could use a Hard Start to replace a blown start capacitor to get a Beer Cooler working for the weekend, he started putting me on more and more service calls (Can't have hot beer on a weekend). This job lasted about three years until he closed the business for personal reasons. After that and the end of a marriage, I moved out towards the Charlotte, NC area and began my life as a Commercial Refrigeration Tech. Then low and behold... I discovered Rack Systems. I think that was the only time I truly fell in love.

I have been servicing Rack Systems for going on 10 years now, and really enjoy the work I do. It can be mind blowing and frustrating at times, but I wouldn't do anything else. You really never know what you are going to find day to day.

In 2006 I became a Licensed Commercial Refrigeration Contractor here in NC. I started my own business, but couldn't handle doing service AND running a company. I closed up, and and happy where I am.

Post Likes
    be thankfull you have work. I live in a place that for all practical purposes is an island. Very isolated. I've been in this business for 11yrs doing both install & service. Lately (the past 4 or 5 yrs) the work available in my area has fallen off to nothing. Even for other contractors. Now, I don't have certifications yet but I consider myself a trouble shooter. Not super intelligent but certainly above average. My experiences working under my mentor (shout-out to BnH Services) have always been thought provoking, never simple. My mentor (with 40yrs exp.) & I also enjoy disecting... everything. We also conduct experiments to better understand operational processes. Our latest venture is a fhp. New exp valves, good airflow, works good in cooling, goes into high pres. lockout in heating. Liqid pressure builds quickly but no signs of restriction (ie: frosting @ blockage or temp differentials in line). Any thoughts before I creat a simulation unit with valves all over to mock variables?

Post Likes
    If it is running find in cooling, but locks out on HP in heat, there is something not quite right in the circuit on what would at that point be the condensing side. Where in the circuit is the HP switch? Could there be a problem with the Reversing Valve? Were there any major problems before putting the new valves in?

I just realized this is in the wrong place.. Can admin move it to the proper place?
    Last edited by WT70; 10-14-2011 at 12:26 PM. Reason: Reply in wrong place.

Post Likes

Post Likes
    hello everyone,
    I really really love this site, I just joined about 10-15 minutes ago but I used to come here looking for answers through google and I always found some kind of help/knowledge shared by people (friends, since we are or have been on the same boat once ) on this site. Thank you to all those who share their knowledge about the field to help newcomers like myself.

Post Likes
    well for me it started back in 98' when i was hired as an installer for a local company and after about three years the boss decided to put me shotgun in his van and taught me everything i know about hvac then 6 years ago i got hired on at a local school board and had to learn again about all the refrigeration that i never knew anything about except in theory along with hydronic boilers again just theory so for the last 6 years ive been learning wiht ojt my whole career but i think im doing pretty good

Post Likes
    Well, it started for me in 2002. I was a freshman in college, and working part time at a skating rink. I hated college, and was always more into working with my hands. I would always take notice to the guys working on the mechanical equipment for the rink, and that piqued my curiosity. So it turned out that my manager at the ice rink had a husband who had just started his own company (Frank Needham Heating and Air) and needed a part time helper. I started working for him, mostly doing retro fit installs.
    After 6 months of part time work with him, I stopped going to college and I went and started a 13 month HVAC program at RETS technical center, in MA. I continued my part time work with Frank Needham Heating and Air as I went to school. When I finished school, I had my EPA card and a lot more knowledge and began working full time with the same company. I stayed there for 6 more months, and then took a better job offer, with New England Heating and Air.
    I did a lot of sheet metal work with New England Air, mostly commercial. I got pretty good at sheet metal and duct sizing during my time with them. I stayed there for 2 years, then I moved to Vegas and found a job after a couple weeks.
    I've been a service tech in Vegas for 4 years now. I like doing service much more than my previous two jobs, but I'm glad I got the experience with the sheet metal, because it has come in handy over the years. I stayed with the first company, Dynamic Heating and Air, for 3 and a half years, until they went out of business. They didn't survive the economy. I've been with Sierra Air Conditioning for a couple months now, and we do a lot of residential and some light commercial. I got a lot of service experience during my time with Dynamic, due to having a great and very knowledgeable boss and set of co-workers. I feel comfortable with all residential systems and light commercial. I don't really have experience with anything over 12 tons, or any low temp stuff. I still have a lot to learn, and am glad I came across this site. I look forward to sharing what I know, and hopefully picking up a lot of stuff from here. I've had a big interest in combustion analysis lately, and am looking to find a class to take in the Vegas area.
    Well that about sums it up. I got my feet wet in the trade in '02, and have been in it since. I love my job, take pride in my work, and strive to learn new things every day, so I become a more experienced technician. Thanks!

Post Likes
    I started in HVAC back in 1972. I was in the 10th grade and my grades were not that good so i enrolled in a trade school because it gave enough credits and i was better at working with my hands. In `74 just a few months after graduation my brother got me a job with All Seasons heating and air in Pensacola Fl. and I worked with the duct crew for two years and went to the service department for a year when I was slighted on my pay raise and happened to run into aqn old friend at a training school and was offered a job back in my home town (Gulf Shores Al.). I took the job and worked there doing it all for thirteen years and the co. changed so I found a new company with a boss who became a very good friend and went to work for him.
    Iworked there till he decided he had to sell his company and a fellow employee, his wife and myself decided we could not work for the new owner so we started our own company (Island AirConditining And Heating) aafter ten years and a lot happy customers and new friends i`m happy to we are doing well and still growing.
    We are a Trane dealer and are pleased with the equipment which seems hold up well in our area. Gulf Shores Al. This site has been a help to since i`ve visited and look forward to more great advise, information and just plain good old comrodery.Thanks guys!

Post Likes
    Well hello guys,
    I'm currently a "Refer Mech" in the Marine Corps and have been working in this field for about three years. My family runs a general automotive shop in TX and I was raised working on various types of equipment as well as the "do it all" roofing, plumbing,...etc. So really I started learning about refrigeration on vehicles through my father when I was a young kid.

Anyways I had passed over this site a couple of times at work and, since I'm taking classes to prepare to reintegrate with civilian life, I figured some members here could help me determine the best route to take for education and expanding my practical knowledge. I had already planned to continue college and pursue a degree in Mechanical Engineering but I hadn't considered Refrigeration Engineering until, well today.

Post Likes
    hello everyone

i found this site last night and decided to join. looks like a lot of good info on here. so i went through penn foster to get my certification and i just took my test last week and i past all of them. so now im trying to find some part time work then maybe later try to go on my own but have to wait and see. they are some good companies around my area. i also have my vehicle cert as well right now im a mechanic at a diesel shop love taking things apart and fixing things

Post Likes
    Hello all,

My name is Jonathan and I started in the Mechanical field when I was 15 years of age, back in 1997. My Grandfather and now my Father own a union company located in Phoenix, AZ. This company has been in business over 100 years and union for 60 of them.

At the age of 15 I was giving the task of running hangers for a high school, for all the plumbing and HAVC all summer long. It was cool, I was given a Drill and a gang box of mats, trained for a few days and then given a lift. Each morning the forman would lay me out and off I would go.

Next year at age 16, we were building a 30 story hotel this time, again I was not given the glorious jobs, mine was swapping back and forth core drilling the floors and fire walls so we could run what was needed.

At 17 I was taken off Job sites and put into a pre fab shop making up fire suppression pipe, gas lines ect... All summer again.

18 Joined the Union and started my fitters apprenticeship, first year... SUCKED, was put on a job running a "Ground extractor Leverage Tool" a shovel. For 9 Months... was great... After that I did what any other apprentice would do, run hangers, go to school, solder, go to school, learn how to do make up and take offs, go to school... Ect...

I have worked in a few cool places, Intel, water purification plants doing reto-fits. Fresh water purification plants for bottling water. Emergency room up grades, A grip of Hospital remodels. Mostly did Government work through out the years, clean back ground made it easy for me to get into almost any building. A lot of Tempe police stations.

2007, wanted a change so I moved to Texas to start fresh with a new line of work, all was well till wife got pregnant (damn water) and wanted to move back to AZ. After moving back I did not want to go back to work what I was doing. So I sought out a public trade school for HVAC/R.

Attended RSI in 2010 after working for a great mechanical company to get my feet wet on the one avenue I needed the most help in, Refrigeration. Graduated in 2011 with a 4.0, perfect attendance and a few other kickers the school offered.

Bench is full if I want to do HVAC exclusively so I have been working for a small company for the first time, and I love it. The group of guys I am with are second to no one. Still have a grip to learn, I have always done new construction commercial and light industrial. Now I am doing Medium to light commercial and some residential. Has been a fun ride, had I know what HVAC/R had to offer I would have done it from day one.

I have 3 kids and a great wife of 9 years.

I think that sums it up.
    Last edited by Epicfail; 10-23-2011 at 08:12 PM. Reason: Wrong year.

Post Likes
    Hello from Ontario,

Ive been part of the hvac trade since my conception lol.. my mom would drive around pregnant with my dad who is self employed on some late night service calls to keep him company.
    6 years after high school I decided to come on board full time and learn the business and the trade itself from the bottom up, I like to think im somewhere in the middle now. Im fully licensed in both Gas and refrigeration. Worked on resi stats to chillers and big boilers. Love the trade even during those -30 days on a roof top!! Always trying to learn and keep up with the latest information

Post Likes
    Married, with children taught me many things, mainly, Id need an income I could count on. Coming from a mechanically minded family the switch from general construction to HVAC repair wasnt hard. I learned the most valuable leason early...Its pretty hard to put the smoke back into something once its let out!. I started out getting my epa cert while doiing bldg maintenance so I could do alot of the mundane tasks, like filter changing, and save us some dough but as soon as I finished a 1 year night school I ran out and took a job with a local residential company. 18 years their learned install, layout,service, then put myself thru any and all training I could find, RSES,NATE,ect. Now am enjoying sales as I have about 10 more years to retire. Maintain my state electrical designation along with others just in case....provide alot of tech help to service department and get to bring in new buisness everyday. Won Carriers Presidential award this year for sales and customer service. Love this field!

Post Likes
    Hello I'm a hvac service tech out of Buffalo NY. I have seven years in the trade, I'm NATE & RSES certified. I started out in the auto filed as tech but liked the ins and outs of the hvac trade more so I made the jump and haven't looked back. I work on everything from RTUS to furnaces to multi BTU boilers. I'm looking forward to jumping in and learning as much as I can ... I hope to help out as much as can as well.

Post Likes
    Hi, I'm from northern Jersey, I been in the field for six years, I have the universal epa license. I been in the field doing installationsand troubleshooting. I have worked in split sistems, ductless splits and RTUs.

Page 26 of 74 FirstFirst ... 1619202122232425262728293031323336 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in