Page 2 of 74 FirstFirst 1234567891252 ... LastLast

Thread: Welcome to all New Guests going Pro? Do not post equipment questions in this forum

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by acwizard View Post
    Hello everyone, This is a fantastic place to share thoughts and continue learning. I got into this trade about 33 years ago. I worked for my father who owned a couple retail stores. Every summer without fail my dad had to call out a tech named Shorty to fix the a/c units.I tell you later why his name was Shorty. I would help him haul all of this equipment up to the roof and ask a million questions, and that is where it all began. Thanks alot Shorty. I then decided to enroll in a hvac course at the local community college, It was a great, loved learning something totally new. My grades were never higher , in fact I ended up on the Deans list for two years. I was then hired by a large union contractor as the assistant estimator. i knew nothing, but I learned fast, taking off high rise buildings and having to listen to the reel to reel computer as I did the takeoff. I became bored one day and decided that I needed to get my hands dirty. I got hired by a union contractor which at the time was the largest residential hvac contractor west of the rocky mtns. They were installing over 30,000 systems a year. I became one of their most versatile service techs and they threw everything at me including the owners Greyhound bus, his motor home ,and told me dont screw up on the a/c. He was going across the country on vacation and his a/c wasn't working. Literally I was thrown under the bus. I left that company after about 8 years , helped a friend start up a business, left there and started my own contracting business. 24 years later here I am. I have electrical , hvac and solar energy contracting licenses, are primary work is light commercial, large custom homes. I started out as a service company, but the bulk of our work is design build , and retrofits. When I was back in my twenties, I thought I knew everything about this industry, but today in my ripe age of 54 I realize the more you know , the less you know, and just when you thought you had seen it all ,bamm , back to the books and more learning. I love this trade and all of the challenges that come with it.
    So why was he called Shorty?
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

Post Likes
    My wife says she is thinking of "going pro", but I'm not sure what she means, as she doesn't know anything about HVAC.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by garya505 View Post
    My wife says she is thinking of "going pro", but I'm not sure what she means, as she doesn't know anything about HVAC.

Post Likes
    according to Shorty, he said his wife should have looked under the hood before she said I do.

in a service van down by the river...........
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by garya505 View Post

Just when I was beginning to think that no-one here had a sense of Humor, You show up........................................Thanks for the Laugh
    It's All about Heat.............................to a degree

Post Likes
    we can be funny! Dammit!
    yellow makes me sad! I think?
    true knowledge exists in knowing that you know nothing.

Post Likes

i Joined this site in Nov but havent been posting. I am a fairly new service tech that is incharge of 200 tons of Ac, a rack system, server room and other fans in a builiding that is controlled by Tracer summit . all is well for now and i need to get my post count up before i really need help

Post Likes
    I got to help change a compressor out today! It was such a relief to actually be doing something that felt like work. I was only sent out to help lift it out of the outside unit, but when I showed up there was more work to be done. Removed some bolts, crank case heater, dropped more than one bolt and a screw, and the screwdriver. Not enough room in there to bend down to pick them up, so I had to feel around for them. Fun that I'm sure most have experienced more than once.
    But the best part was chattin with the Tech and explainin myself and my intentions. He's been at it for 35yrs and said he's been known to look out for apprentices. Tried not showin it, but I was syked ! He went on to say that he'd stay on the Boss about me helpin out on the Service side more, that he's put in over 60 hrs last week.
    He asked a few questions about the process of changing out the compressor, in which I had answers for. I asked him a few, and we talked about the trade for a while. All in all it was one of the better days, I've had in awhile. Especially, being a parts runner. I am grateful to have a job, and to have been given a chance. Just hard to sit on the sidelines and wait, while I believe I'm capable of more. Thats my highlight for today, have a good eve and a great day tomorrow to all of you!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Klay View Post
    I got to help change a compressor out today! It was such a relief to actually be doing something that felt like work. I was only sent out to help lift it out of the outside unit, but when I showed up there was more work to be done. Removed some bolts, crank case heater, dropped more than one bolt and a screw, and the screwdriver. Not enough room in there to bend down to pick them up, so I had to feel around for them. Fun that I'm sure most have experienced more than once.
    But the best part was chattin with the Tech and explainin myself and my intentions. He's been at it for 35yrs and said he's been known to look out for apprentices. Tried not showin it, but I was syked ! He went on to say that he'd stay on the Boss about me helpin out on the Service side more, that he's put in over 60 hrs last week.
    He asked a few questions about the process of changing out the compressor, in which I had answers for. I asked him a few, and we talked about the trade for a while. All in all it was one of the better days, I've had in awhile. Especially, being a parts runner. I am grateful to have a job, and to have been given a chance. Just hard to sit on the sidelines and wait, while I believe I'm capable of more. Thats my highlight for today, have a good eve and a great day tomorrow to all of you!
    Hmmm. That reminds me of my first (ah, heck, no need to hide my limited experience... my ONLY) compressor change-out. The coil on the condenser unit was super-tall. I was helping a really tall guy, so he could climb on a ladder and reach in to get the bolts. Then I climbed inside the coil to lift it out. And I was wondering how the heck you would be able to do the job if you were short & (ahem) rotund? I guess you make it happen. But yeah! Good for you. I'm glad it was a good day for you. That was a really good day for me, too.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by under pressure View Post
    Just when I was beginning to think that no-one here had a sense of Humor, You show up........................................Thanks for the Laugh
    Now she says she wants me to pay her like she's a pro, so I'm even more confused.

Post Likes
    Today on a 5 Ton split system i was supposed to clean. i walked up to it took off the panels to spray the outdoor coil then went inside to look at the evap. when i noticed a 3 inch layer of ice. the 4'' by 48'' double filter cover off and a heat gun plugged in by the unit i realized the unit needed more than just a simple cleaning. after i asked why the panel and filters were off i was told that they were told they had an airflow problem so they took of the panel to let air in. When i asked them if it worked they said yes. after they removed the panel the unit only freezes once a week now. so now tomorrow i get to look at the coil that has been in an attic with no filters and a huge hole for about a year. lets see how that goes

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Puzzler View Post
    The coil on the condenser unit was super-tall. Then I climbed inside the coil to lift it out. And I was wondering how the heck you would be able to do the job if you were short & (ahem) rotund? I guess you make it happen.
    that's why techs will have milk crates or buckets.

makes life easier and doesn't strain the love muscle
    It`s better to be silent and thought the fool; than speak and remove all doubt.

Post Likes
    Whats up everyone, fairly new the field and so far loving it. Started off last year this time taking a few HVAC classes for about 9 months or so. Wasn't really looking for a job at the time and all of a sudden one day I got a call from my school saying they had a company looking for someone. I was really happy and surprised they recommended me. So got the job and started out working with all the service techs, meeting them and learning as much as possible. Then after about 2 months I started doing PM's on my own (residential) and was put on call kinda scared at first but it was slow and only had one call that week and did fine..so from then on I've been slowly doing more and more service calls on my own, makin a few sales and now learning a little commercial from the guys. Really liking commercial and hope to get into more in the future.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by FrostyBeer View Post
    Whats up everyone, fairly new the field and so far loving it. Started off last year this time taking a few HVAC classes for about 9 months or so. Wasn't really looking for a job at the time and all of a sudden one day I got a call from my school saying they had a company looking for someone. I was really happy and surprised they recommended me. So got the job and started out working with all the service techs, meeting them and learning as much as possible. Then after about 2 months I started doing PM's on my own (residential) and was put on call kinda scared at first but it was slow and only had one call that week and did fine..so from then on I've been slowly doing more and more service calls on my own, makin a few sales and now learning a little commercial from the guys. Really liking commercial and hope to get into more in the future.
    Welcome Frosty,

Glad to have you, sounds like you are doing good on the job...keep it up and good luck,

The statement below is my signature and just my overall feeling towards our industry and does not necessarily pertain to you nor this thread.

There really isn't a legitimate excuse for not doing the job correctly!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech23 View Post
    Welcome Frosty,

Glad to have you, sounds like you are doing good on the job...keep it up and good luck,
    Thanks Tech looking forward to exploring the site!

...Oh and forgot to add I have my EPA universal as well as my oil burners license..although haven't played with oil in a year so a little rusty

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Tlaloc289 View Post
    Today on a 5 Ton split system i was supposed to clean. i walked up to it took off the panels to spray the outdoor coil then went inside to look at the evap. when i noticed a 3 inch layer of ice. the 4'' by 48'' double filter cover off and a heat gun plugged in by the unit i realized the unit needed more than just a simple cleaning. after i asked why the panel and filters were off i was told that they were told they had an airflow problem so they took of the panel to let air in. When i asked them if it worked they said yes. after they removed the panel the unit only freezes once a week now. so now tomorrow i get to look at the coil that has been in an attic with no filters and a huge hole for about a year. lets see how that goes
    I'm interested on hearing how this goes! After being without a cover for so long, is it possible to clean the coil well enough to work properly? I'm sure it depends on how dirty it really is. Guess if its working for a week before it freezes up again, it couldn't be too bad? Is the hole close to the indoor coil? Anyway, look forward to reading how this pans out.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Klay View Post
    I'm interested on hearing how this goes! After being without a cover for so long, is it possible to clean the coil well enough to work properly? I'm sure it depends on how dirty it really is. Guess if its working for a week before it freezes up again, it couldn't be too bad? Is the hole close to the indoor coil? Anyway, look forward to reading how this pans out.

Well the system is actually a 10ton unit it has two 5 tons and both of the coils go to one airhandler. the top unit is completely plugged even the fan had a nice layer of dirt. the hole is the "custom made" filter rack for the system. its on the return line just before it goes to the coil.

Post Likes
    This unit is trying to cool a room to 65 degrees but the load is way higher than 10 tons. The coil temp is about 49* superheat 21, subcoolling 40 but ambient temp is 39* and the condeser has a vfd motor so system seems to be fine, exept for the fact that the unit freezes then goes into a 40 minute air defrost then once a week the ice gets so big that the 40 minutes doesnt make a dent in the 4 inch layer of ice.

Post Likes
    65 degrees????????????????

This unit is trying to cool a room to 65 degrees but the load is way higher than 10 tons. The coil temp is about 49* superheat 21, subcoolling 40 but ambient temp is 39* and the condeser has a vfd motor so system seems to be fine, exept for the fact that the unit freezes then goes into a 40 minute air defrost then once a week the ice gets so big that the 40 minutes doesnt make a dent in the 4 inch layer of ice.
    true knowledge exists in knowing that you know nothing.

Post Likes
    Well the system is actually a 10ton unit it has two 5 tons and both of the coils go to one airhandler. the top unit is completely plugged even the fan had a nice layer of dirt. the hole is the "custom made" filter rack for the system. its on the return line just before it goes to the coil.
    I thought you were saying a whole in the line set, like a leak. Now I see, said the blind man.

Page 2 of 74 FirstFirst 1234567891252 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in