Page 65 of 113 FirstFirst ... 155558596061626364656667686970717275 ... LastLast

my story

I got into the field about 7 years ago doing apt. maint. after two years of uncloging toilets, painting, light bulbs, and learning hvac trial and error style. I decided to go to school after school I landed a job doing mostly res. installs and volunteering to be on call every weekend to do service. I was also asked to come back to school and help teach the night class. I did this along with my installing and service everyday. Sinse then the school opened a new campus and moved me to it along with a full time position this is the first summer that i have not done any service work and i miss it not to mention i have not burned off any of my winter gut! Im thinking of starting an hvac bussiness and going back to part time any suggestions are greatly appreciated
    thanks
    Red
    please excuse the lack of proper spelling and grammer.

newbe

Hello,
    I'm a resent grad of a HVAC - R school. I've been on a few interviews, but nothing for sure yet. I'm keeping my head to the payment and moving forward. I would like to work for myself, but I do now that I need a few years under my belt before that can happen. I really like the web site for references. ;-)
    Michael

That was me a little while back and I can not remember the the name and pass so i just made a new one sorry

I'm convinced that Goodman, Trane and Nordyne louvered Condenser covers are the Devil! Today I started cleaning units with a 4 gallon backpack pump and simple green. I only have about 200 left!

Hmm first post -

i got into this industry for 1 noble reason. i have seen honest family members and friends itching to make a buck but more importantly to be respected for their knowledge. i thought i would start an a/c repair business and hire them and train them. i'm blessed with a job that paid for my 3 week refrigeration school and i couldn't wait to go.

i thought i would study for the school a week prior. not a good plan. it was tough. i was twisted from the get go. "ok, put the hose on but only loosely? then tighten the low loss thingee?"

i was happily overwhelmed, but i studied like a trouper and passed. problem is i know that 3 weeks was just a start. i knew there was a ton of stuff i didn't know. i let the winter go by then started reading my 1300 page tech manual around march. my job sent me on some trouble calls. the electrical troubleshooting came easy. but i was truly stumped over pressures and hose removal.

so my new plan was to work for a company that would expose me to residential repair and service. i moonlighted with a bad egg. they rewarded techs for selling brand new units. augh!! to make matters worse i didn't receive any hands on tutoring. into the fire i went. i genuinely tried to repair these peoples units and learned that almost every customer didn't change filters or keep their condensers clean. i changed 1 thermostat, 1 low amp fuse, 1 blower unit and about 5 capacitors. cleaned one coil and quit when i couldn't solve this customer's odd pressures.

back at my primary job, i joined up with an experienced guy who started taking the trouble calls i couldn't solve. a sharp guy and very well organized. i helped him and watched as he hooked hoses. took temp readings and got the company to buy nice gauge set and fieldpiece trouble shooting aid and recovery unit and vacuum pump. i worked with him for about 3 months. then i was put back into the general building maintenance and studied off and on until this april.

i've been working with our senior tech for 2 days a week since. now i find myself removing a rheem compressor alone. i'm thrilled and nervous. i'll let you know how it goes. so far i made the mistake of pulling up a 55 lb recovery tank that i deemed full after i lugged it up. oh yeah, i know the compressor is bad cause the low side is 150 while high side is 175. i called for help cause i thought maybe i was missing something since this was a heat pump design.

So... what brings you here?

OK, just kidding. If you really want to make a go at this get your post count up by joining in conversation by asking questions. Try not to post in the AOP areas until you are approved or a Mod will zap you.

Post in the tech to tech and general areas.

Become a Pro Member here (see my sig file for the link) Once you are a Pro here you can be on total tilt with all the info and Educational Forums...

Welcome..

Hello, So like most of us I to took stuff apart as a small child but with no intent to put it back together lol.

When I was Finishing high school I had no idea what I wanted to do until my uncle told be about his buddy who had his own HVAC company and told me it was a great trade that paid big $$$$ so I was pretty much sold.
    I looked in to it and now almost 8 years later I couldn't see my self doing any thing else.

I started my apprenticeship with a company that did every thing from hvac&r to dry kilns I worked there for about 2 years.

I then went to work at a company that some friends worked at and got tons of heating and air conditioning experience along with boiler experience.

I got very tired of how that company was run and wanted to learn refrigeration before I became a journeyman so I changed companies again.

I have now been with my current company for close to 4 years now and enjoy it a lot but I do wish we did more heating A/C work.

copper to brass brazing

*** question @ bottom of post ***

i'm installing a rheem compressor and it's a "screw in" (as labelled by my boss). i found out it means the suction line and discharge line are connected to the compressor by threaded couplings. well, i found out after i broke the solder from the couplings. so now i'm trying to braze brass fitting to copper tubing. what my van has is a white/blue tube with pickish white paste. for heat enducing. i heated it up and it didn't hold 30" (stopped @ 29). 10# of pressure later it leaked nitro. so i got rained out & and tomorrow i hope i braze better. i can't give specific names to the tools i'm using like stick type or flux. but i do have the question.

*** since this is my first lone install, are there any common mistakes newbies make that you can offer? ***
    Last edited by roof top grind; 06-30-2012 at 09:05 PM. Reason: posted in the wrong place. dang it

brazing copper to brass

*** question @ bottom of post ***

i'm installing a rheem compressor and it's a "screw in" (as labelled by my boss). i found out it means the suction line and discharge line are connected to the compressor by threaded couplings. well, i found out after i broke the solder from the couplings. so now i'm trying to braze brass fitting to copper tubing. what my van has is a white/blue tube with pickish white paste. for heat enducing. i heated it up and it didn't hold 30". 10# of pressure later it leaked nitro. so i got rained out & and tomorrow i hope i braze better. i can't give specific names to the tools i'm using like stick type or flux. but i do have the question.

*** since this is my first lone install, are there any common mistakes newbies make that you can offer? ***

although not all trane's are union, look for the most certified, well rounded techs possible. Find apprentices that want to learn. personally, i would love to work for trane.

dude its called a rota lock, make sure you have the white seal installed in the groove of the male threaded end on the compressor. and its best to braze you pipe to it first then thread the rota lock on the compressor. When brazing any Dis similar metals you need to used silver solder and stay-slive flux and make sure you sand the connection surfaces first. Good luck

On Friday I was replacing a suction line accumulator on a walk in freezer condensing unit and I noticed the accumulator was not marked "in" or "out" so not thinking to check the box for any instructions I used my flash light and looked done each tube. Well one discharged in to the top and the other had a long tube going down to the bottom. So I figured the long tube would be the inlet and installed it. Well after pulling a kick ass vacuum of 208 microns I released the charge back in to the system and fired it up. As I am cleaning up I see hey there is some paper work in the accumulator box and sure as **** a diagram on how the accumulator is designed, and yes OF COURSE I installed it wrong. The long tube actually came all the way back to the top and had a metering device built in to it. So I had to pump it down again, sweat the connections off, spin the accumulator, braze the connections, changed the drier again cause it doesn't take long for them to suck up moisture, pull the vac again and release the charge.

What a freaking Friday I quoted the job so it would be an easy day and go home early with time to spare but no I ended up working for free for an hour or so. But it was worth the peace of mind knowing that is was done right and not worrying about a call back down the road.

Page 65 of 113 FirstFirst ... 155558596061626364656667686970717275 ... LastLast