Page 64 of 113 FirstFirst ... 145457585960616263646566676869707174 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckcrj View Post
    You only lose 4 -6% capacity. Also discharge temps run 30-40 lower which is better for the compressor.
    Chuck that's good to know, One of the guys I work with told me you lose a ton of capacity. I will let him know tomorrow that would be the case if it was a 50 ton machine.

The 4-6% capacity loss occurs at a 90-95 degree CONDENSING temperature...

with a condensing temperature of 130 degrees, your capacity loss is 14%

Quote Originally Posted by Teldallas View Post
    Has anyone used mo99 in air cond units. The info that I have read said that the manuf would void warranty. With the expense of 22 I would like to help with the cost of repairs so we could all eat without driving people to portable ac units. Any info would be greatly app.
    I know of several locations converting over to M099 and they have not had any problems with it. In the next month or so I am going to be starting the change over myself on about 300 units.

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteSoxFan View Post
    The 4-6% capacity loss occurs at a 90-95 degree CONDENSING temperature...

with a condensing temperature of 130 degrees, your capacity loss is 14%
    The documentation I've read from Dupont states that cooling capacities are within 5-10% across the evaporator temp range.

Quote Originally Posted by crbn79 View Post
    The documentation I've read from Dupont states that cooling capacities are within 5-10% across the evaporator temp range.
    That's a fairly accurate statement but as with several other things in this field, things vary according to oprerating conditions.

The documentation I am referring to is directly from DuPont themselves...

I assume it's okay to link to it, my apologies if it isn't...

Last page shows the chart with the A/C parameters

I started at a vocational school, got an associates and started working for a commercial/industrial hvac company..been rocking ever since

I've spent 30 years in the HVAC industry. I've worked in residential, commercial and industrial. My experience has been well rounded working in installation, service, start-up, controls and commissioning. I've watched the industry change dramatically from the time I started to this point, and have done my best to keep up with changes. One of the reasons I'm here is to continue to keep up with the industry.

I got my technical education in the Navy, participating in the well-known 'pipeline' to the controls business...navigating submarines. LOL
    After that, I worked on and off for Honeywell, working on everything from synchronized school clock systems,System 2, System 6 through the Delta andDeltanet families to EBI Then on to an IFO for Invensys, and back to another big company Siemens, where I am today. Also did a lot of Fire& Security work. Enjoyed almost every day at work.

I have about 10 years experience in commercial equipment installs ( mechanical and controls) with a some involvement in service and trouble shooting. I have done some commissioning, air testing, design and project management. I started out working on a farm and around a lot of mechicial equipment and continued on thru a community college program after working in the field for a couple years.

Question: 1 - what is a good way to find HVAC techs and installers?

2 - what are good training techniques for interested apprentices?

Shear luck

So I got into the feild by shear luck. I was graduating HS and had no idea what to do. My cousin was in the field and said he makes a good living. some of my other friends were going to a tech school for auto body or auto mechanics. So I said why not.

I went to a one year tech school. Became good friends with the teachers by putting in extra effort continuosly. Got a job right out of school because the HVAC director loved me. My class was full of people who simply did not want to be there. Not sure what other areas are like but I live in CT. Most of the people in my class were there to stay out of jail or to get out early. Found this realy weird.

Anyway I started at a refrigeration company and worked there for about two years. I went right into service. Never had a day of install in my life. After about a year I found it pretty routine and boring. Wasn't learning anything new.

By luck again I happen to run into another tech in the building I was working in. He did the AC. Commercail biulding for a country club. We started talking and he took an interest in me. Told his bosses the have to hire me. Which they were not hiring at the time. So I went for an interview anyway and the offered me a job on the spot.

I decided to take it bc I new I hit a dead end at my current company. Best choice I ever made.

Have been servicing commercail HAVC equipment for the last 11 years here. Has gone well.

I am always driving towards more knowledge. I like to ask questions and hear others experiences. This seems like the perfect site.

I am a perfectionist and accept nothing less. I enjoy completely understanding what I am working on and can't stand people that are ok with the "well it is working now" attitude. I love taking numbers and thinking about what is going on in a system.

I enjoy trying to teach our younger guys because I feel it is the most important thing for this trade and it's future. I also believe if you can teach it you understand it that much more.

I am a very busy tech. I also quote jobs. Schedule all my own work. Order parts and have other guys that work for me so I scheduke there work. I pretty much run my own company.

I am hoping to use this site for knowledge I may not be able to get from our older techs. Again I am very busy and wont be able to get on this site as much as I would like.

Be great to make some friends on here. Nice to meet everyone. Thanks in advance for any help anyone gives me.

Good luck out there guys. It is a tough trade.

my start

I got into hvac indirectly. I started a plumbing apprenticeship right after high school. After 2 years plumbing was not challenging me too much anymore and I started learning heat service and excelled at it. I love getting a broken furnace or boiler to run and I found I have a knack for troubleshooting. I started doing ac work about 2 1/2 years ago and was really surprised by how much you need to know to be a good ac tech. I have tried to give myself a broad skillset and feel i have achieved that but I still have alot to learn about ac and refrigeration.

Hello,names Jim.been doing this kind of work for close to 15 years no certification no training other than one old grizzled man who come to find out did really know his stuff.I was pretty sure he was a "hack"and i could do it better. so i went started taking classes at night or whenever i could squeeze one in and after almost three years of steady learning in everything from universal cert to 609 to p.m. tech. lo and behold i had to go back and apologize to that old fart for doubting everything he was trying to show me. which is no small feat when he's your father. with the way this industry is constantly changing i know i will never be bored with the same old thing day in and day out. which is priceless to me because if i am not learning something new constantly i get bored quickly and me bored is a dangerous combination. love this site i have probably learned as much here than i ever have in the classroom thanks for all the insight and real world answers i have found on here .i plan to be coming here for many years.

Page 64 of 113 FirstFirst ... 145457585960616263646566676869707174 ... LastLast