Page 60 of 113 FirstFirst ... 105053545556575859606162636465666770110 ... LastLast
    Graduated local community college hvac school in 92 went to work that summer for a small local outfit in my hometown got stuck wrapping duct and sealing joints in attics. Fell through a ceiling after passing out. Decided I wanted to do something different besides killing myself. Went to work for7 years in a manufacturing plant operating equipment and Maintenance of that equip. Left went into light refrigeration in restaurants with Walkins reach ins prep tables display coolers fountain machines coffe and tea makers ice makers anything in a restaurant for the next 10 years. Spent 2 years with a national cooking equipment company a lot of schooling that they sent me to working hot and cold side then the economy slowed hrs got low. Left and went to a do it all Hvac/R company. Still can't get me in another attic but for the past 2yrs I've worked on everything from chillers to Intellipaks to panel coolers to small splits and working with a great crew and a group of owners that still beat the street when they have to we put customer service first and everyone has the opportunity to learn and grow. I love my job do about40% refer work and the rest small to medium commercial hvac.

Mikey, I have never posted and now starting to access more on this site. But are you speaking about side jobs for a friend or family, (direct call to you) or doing it by request of homeowner or business while you work at your job and return later to do work.

Either way you are not an enterprising person!

Do you do this work in your company van? Do ever even use a screw paid for by that company? Would you have even got this work if you haven’t worked for this company? I could keep going.

It is theft either way you cut it!

How about this then -

I am driving down a street and see an HVAC/R service truck parked in front of a house or business and the driver with a clipboard in one hand and shaking the hand of the building owner with the other before getting into the can and driving away. I circle the block and knock on the door:

Hi Mr. Homeowner. I noticed that other company here and wondered if you are getting proposals for some work? Oh you are? Did they leave you a written proposal? OK, let's take a look at this - oh I can do this exact same thing for $500. less than they are trying to gouge you for. And we can start immediately - let me call my office and arrange that. In fact; I'll start recovering the freon right now and get a jump on things - we'll have it all squared away for you in no time.
    ========

My question for you is? Am I a thief in that scenario?

PHM
    ------

Quote Originally Posted by Cool breze View Post
    Mikey, I have never posted and now starting to access more on this site. But are you speaking about side jobs for a friend or family, (direct call to you) or doing it by request of homeowner or business while you work at your job and return later to do work.

Either way you are not an enterprising person!

Do you do this work in your company van? Do ever even use a screw paid for by that company? Would you have even got this work if you haven’t worked for this company? I could keep going.

It is theft either way you cut it!
    PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.

Sound like good luck and gorilla marketing. And that would fall back on all parties involved to look quote and compare job not $$. Free market capitalism

I am just wondering where The Line is -

I agree that an employee doing work for his boss's customers is no good. And I also agree that using company property or vehicles for non-employer work or activities is not right.

But say I am an employee and have a pickup of my own. I stock some parts and materials and I put up and pass out some flyers:

Afterhours Refrigeration We discount for cash. Call 123-456-7890

Anyone who calls gets scheduled for after my job-working hours. I work every week day for my boss and then work from 6-10 PM every evening and then all day Sat. & Sun. for myself.

Is that OK?

PHM
    ------

Quote Originally Posted by Cool breze View Post
    Sound like good luck and gorilla marketing. And that would fall back on all parties involved to look quote and compare job not $$. Free market capitalism
    PHM
    --------

Sounds like a question for your states lic dept. I would pull your flyer and submit to lic board here in Texas and pray they fine the piss out of you. I spend large portions of my days fixing what “a friend or this guy did”. I get enough work at work and F@#$ more work after work. There is usually not that much $ compared to the joy of time off after hours.

Quote Originally Posted by Poodle Head Mikey View Post
    I agree that an employee doing work for his boss's customers is no good. And I also agree that using company property or vehicles for non-employer work or activities is not right.

But say I am an employee and have a pickup of my own. I stock some parts and materials and I put up and pass out some flyers:

Afterhours Refrigeration We discount for cash. Call 123-456-7890

Anyone who calls gets scheduled for after my job-working hours. I work every week day for my boss and then work from 6-10 PM every evening and then all day Sat. & Sun. for myself.

Is that OK?

PHM
    ------
    Are you licensed and insured?

Some say you may have to take calls during business hours for your side work and get supplies during business hours since the supply house isn't open evenings?

I guess that's true -

It would be tough to very strictly maintain a separation. I guess you would have to pick up everything on Sat. mornings or have it delivered to your house.

I never gave it a lot of in depth thought before because when I worked for someone I was always buying houses and so worked on them all nights and weekends. And doing "side work" always seemed like a hassle to me anyway.

But lots of my employees saw it otherwise: I was their advertising avenue, their supply house, and even provided them a free vehicle to work out of, tow their boats with, and take camping with them. In fact; I don't think I ever had an employee who didn't cheat me extensively in some way.

No wait! I had a salesman for a while who I am positive was a completely straight guy to me. Although he lied about his age and was at least seventy when I hired him. I think he was about eighty when he left although he was still vaguely insisting that he was sixty something . . . .

PHM
    ------

Quote Originally Posted by chuckcrj View Post
    Are you licensed and insured?

Some say you may have to take calls during business hours for your side work and get supplies during business hours since the supply house isn't open evenings?
    PHM
    --------

Side jobs

I dont like service techs doing side jobs. It takes away from my sales as a project manager and my company's profits. It also seems risky for the technician. If word gets back to management, that employee could lose their job. A level of trust has just been lowered.

Best to keep it on the up and up.

I remember the first no heat call i was seen on by myself. I exercized my mulitmeter and checked everything electrically in the furnace just to figure out that the intake pipe to the furnace was frosted over. I learn something new every single day in this trade and my brain gets put to the test quite often. I wouldn't change career fields for anything. My personal goal is to be the service manager when my current manager retires. He is a great tech and an even better mentor and i hope he hangs around as long as he can. But.. then i want his job haha.

It's hot in Texas!

Greetings. I'm a licensed contractor in Texas--My license number is in the low #3000 range, so I've been "around" a long time. Boy, the changes never stop do they? Just when you think you have things "figured out" someone/something changes everything up! Keeps it interesting though, although sometimes I feel like I'm lying to my customers when I'm not. How have I survived? Learn as much as you can, don't work for free, pay your taxes on-time, SAVE for the slow times, be known as "not the cheapest guy on the block--but the best!" and live within your means!!!

Hi, it's start with a summer job when i was 16 years old and im loving it. I take the course in refrigeration. Start to works in 2004 in a small business and i do refrigeration, a/c service and instalation. Since 2010 , i'm working only in market and rack are much more cool but another world with full of new (learn)? Sorry for the english!! This site help me to understand a lot of thing but i have a lot of things to learn again!

i am still waiting for someone to process my request 4 being a professional member

did i get forgotten sent u all certifications, liciences, epa card , 410, mvac, work history and expirience

hope to be a pro. member soon

Page 60 of 113 FirstFirst ... 105053545556575859606162636465666770110 ... LastLast