Page 58 of 113 FirstFirst ... 84851525354555657585960616263646568108 ... LastLast
    Thanks for the reply 1000535Fitter ! I was a union member for 27 years (NABET-CWA). I thought I would apply for a job at a local heating and air company after about 6 months of school and see what I could get. I don't think these local companies are union though. NE is a right to work state.

I'm a journeyman Electrician whom is starting out going for my second ticket in Refrigeration and Air-conditioning. Loving it

new to the sight

Hi ive been in the field of hvac/r for 33 years same company out of boston.

just tripped opon the sight from fasebook post.not looking for advise often but sometimes come acrosss something new . maybe able to help other worked on everytype of refrigeration from water bubblers to supermarket racks.

Talking New again

Started while in h.s workin for a guy and worked there a year, knew I was hooked within first week. Then to a small co for 3 years and got tired of asking ?s and gettin diff answers or idk. Started going to a tech school at night and workin during the day, got associates and top of class in refrigeration technology. Started putting my resume in other company's got a interview and almost didn't get hired because they had never had anyone from that school that worked out more than a month... Was there a year and applied for a instructor at school I went to, and much to my surprize at 23 I got it. So worked during the day and taught at night for 1 1/2 years. Loved it and learned twice as much than when I was in school. Would have stayed but it was only 30 hours a week, so quit both places and got a job close to home for a guy and have been here for almost 5 years. Last year have been feeling I have been missin out so just got a job for a union shop and start next week can't wait.... Was not planing on this being this long. This should count as 2 post And by the way this site is awesome and has def made me a better tech and installer, and a lot cooler tools!! I've been lurkin around here for 4 years or better.

Talking Thinking about re-joining the HVACR field!?

Hello all! Just joined the site and am looking forward to reading some of the posts here, and hoping I can get back in the HVACR lingo. I remember being in high school taking automotive classes, and then we got to the part getting to work on a R134a retrofit on an automobile and thought it was the most interesting thing I have ever experienced. After completing the job on the car I told my teacher that I was going to be a heating and air conditioning technician. about two weeks later I obtained my 609 certification at 16 yrs old from the MAC society thanks for the teacher telling me how to get one. After graduating high school I took a year off and started my HVAC classes in 1999. I had awesome teachers that I really learned a lot from. They weren't offering an associates degree at that time so I got a diploma from the 16 month course. I proceeded to work in the field for the next 9 years doing everything and learning something new everyday. I then decided to make a move back home where I grew up and couldn't find a job in the HVAC field, so I switched professions. Just looking into starting my own personal business to get back into the field. Hope to get to know some people on here and learn and teach and learn some more

I have been in the industry a short 3 years, but in those 3 years since i received my R/HVAC degree, i went from installing residential units to maintaining 15 ton package units, for one year i did nothing but build walk in coolers and freezers including all mechanicals all this on my own, never could stay long with any company in my area, because they have no morral, i cant take advantage of people, But i would like advice, so you ask to post a little about myself there you go plz respond. thank you.

Mostly lurking and enjoying the site for a long time. Trying to get my post count up now. 20+ years HVAC experience. Former Marine (helicoptors) before that.

I am 2 weeks out, from finishing my first quarter in electrical and refrigeration. While electrical class seems to be going pretty well, refrigeration seems, somewhat counterintuitive. "Superheat" is what actually causes the cooling ! Go figure. And the heat is actually absorbed by the evaporator. I had no idea

Started out at my Fathers HVAC business in Louisville, KY, fresh out of college. I know installs like the back of my hand, electrical troubleshooting is a breeze, thought I knew refrigeration service too, until I moved back to Los Angeles, where we are originally from, and got hired by the school system. I now know that my trouble shooting skills are above average only due to my deductive reasoning and basic electrical understanding and not my refrigeration knowledge. I barely know anything at all about commercial refrigeration and have been put to the test with all of the refrigerators and ice machines on campus. Residential is so much easier to get by on limited knowledge. I have since read everything I can get my hands on about commercial refrigeration, I have a long way to go, now that I am starting to grasp commercial refr., my 12 plus years of residential that I was so quick to pin on my chest and stick out, seem like a joke.

You guys hurry and get your post count up. Apply for Pro. Open the door to the private areas where you can view the Educational Forums and talk the talk, learn the walk.

Good luck and good future to all.

See link in my signature below for the Pro App. (always free)

Hello I am a technician for a large Refrigiration company in Houston. I Worked in Hvac residential and light commercial for a small company for 9 years where I obtained my masters license. Then took My current position here in 09. I Went to trade school at night to help with troubleshooting. I currently go to school nights for engineering.
    I stumbled across this site a few times while doing google searches but am just now joining. It is refreshing to see so many professionals out there in the Hvac/r field.

hello I am almost brand new to the industry. I graduated last year with a finance degree and had a tough time finding a job. This year I started learning hvac with my uncle and landed a job as a helper here in my town. Any suggestions for learning more in this field. I am planning to take some hvac courses at a local college, but I am wondering if it is better for me to go to an actual technical school. thanks in advance

Hello all. I have been in this field for over 15 years but I have been on the wholesale end of it. I graduated from HVAC school in the early 90s with the intention of being a service technician. While I was in school, the job placement program had gotten me a warehouse job with one of the local supply stores. I figured it was a good way to make 10 bucks/hr and learn more about the business while I finished school. Well, management liked me and promised me a good future so I stuck with it. Fast forward 15+ years and I'm still on this side of the counter =)
    I did dabble with (dare I say it) side jobs :cringe: and eventually did some moon lighting with legit contractors. Nowadays, I only work on equipment for family members and occasionally work with a friend that owns his own business.
    I came to this forum last year in seek of some technical advice. Turns out, I kinda like it here and want to stick around. I'm looking forward to getting my post count up so I can become a pro member. =)

Page 58 of 113 FirstFirst ... 84851525354555657585960616263646568108 ... LastLast