Page 57 of 113 FirstFirst ... 74750515253545556575859606162636467107 ... LastLast
    New to the forum from northwest CT area. Have been utilizing the search function here and finding great information for my boiler replacement. Lots of good info here, lots of talented folks here who know their stuff~

Thanks for the info thus far!

Welcome to the site. Watch your step. Tough crowd in here!

Any questions, ROBOTEQ.

Bathroom attendent , .........SOLARMIKE (or anybody north of the border..........i didn't say which border.)

Thank you, IP. Dont worry 'bout me, Im an old sea dog but maybe I can add a dash of salt in here~

After Hurricane Katrina there were so many hvac trucks on the road, so I decided to go to school and learn it. I only have a certificate of proficiency as of right now but I am still in the process of getting my Associates degree. I worked for a smaller company in Pearl River LA. Which is basically right outside of New Orleans. I worked there right at 2 years before getting laid off due to not much service. While working there I learned A Lot, mostly residential and light commercial stuff. I'm not giving up on the trade because I know it'll pick up again real soon. Hopefully I'll get on with a larger company and get into more commercial jobs. I've always liked learning how things work and know what part does what.

Cool New Member

Hi, my name is Wayne Buckingham, and I am currently Owner-Operator of Buckingham Refrigeration in central and western Maine.
    I started out as a union carpenter/millwright and found job opportunities with the union in decline in my area. My father was an instramentation/refrigeration tech with the local paper mill for 21 years, and after a lengthy strike at the mill, a few service tech & manager jobs, and a heart attack later, started and successfully ran his own company, Bucks Refrigeration, for 15 years. He often complained of having "too much" work, and I was able to assist him occasionally with some installations, and went on service calls with him, when my union was unable to keep me gainfully employed. Eventually, he taught me enough to be dangerous, and finally took the big step of employing me, after I successfully passed my EPA certification. He got me a van & tools, and a bunch of A/C installations with a local heating/gas company that had plenty of work, but no idea about the refrigeration side of things.
    After only 2 years of constant OJT, and proving I could bring in enough money to cover my employment, he subcontracted me to a large supermarket chain, where I assisted them in refrigeration construction on a couple of new stores and a remodel (and making him a profit!). Wow, what a different perspective! Huge 2-3" copper suction lines, compressor rooms, electronic controls, etc. Now I'm a service tech, after working along side the big boys!
    He sent me out solo on a number of service calls. Heck, alot of them were so simple...bad thermostat, dirty coils, belts/filters...and I even had a knack for finding refrigerant leaks, and doing compressor changes. If I got stumped, he was just a phone call away to get me through it. Looking like he might be able to retire someday, and let me take over/buy him out.
    He was 62 and talking about it. I still had a lot to learn. I spent 3 months up north on a small supermarket rebuild...new freezer cases, walkin cooler, dairy, produce, and meat cases, all new condensing units and piping...all coordinated to keep the store operating during the remodel. Then suddenly, 15 years (exactly to the day) of starting his business, he died in the morning of a heart attack. In one moment, I lost my father, my coworker, my drinking buddy, my job, and the business I was learning to take over.
    He didn't have a will, and his wife shut it all down. I got my handtools. And after 3 weeks of getting it together, realized I had to get out there and take care of these customers I had gotten to know so well. I set up vendor accounts, insurance, and took everything that came my way. They just keep calling! And so far I've survived 2 years on my own, as Buckingham Refrigeration.
    I still have ALOT to learn...but I've been able to take care of my customers' needs, with very little failure. Half is knowing what to do, and at least half is business, and the relationship with the customer. Pretty stressful at times, but still truckin'... more to come..."Keep Your Cool"
    Last edited by bucksref; 04-25-2012 at 06:37 PM.

When I joined the Air Force I chose HVAC as my job to have a trade to fall back on if I decided to get out after my four year elistment was up. 11.5 yrs later and I'm still in. I recently got my contractors license so that I could do some side work for a little extra cash.

Well I need a job after being laid off at a construction company. Seen an ad for a helper position at a local heating and air company. After a year I decided to go to college for the HVAC trade. Got my degree and was sent out on my own to do what I learned. I found out fast that school doesn't teach you half of what you will learn by being in the field. I made some mistakes but learned from them. Now I have been in the bussiness for 10 yrs and working as a commercial tech. One thing I've learned is to never stop learning. The company I work for sends me to different schools multiple times a year to learn about the new systems that are or have come out. I went back to school for electrical and i'm now a certified electrician also. I came across this site a few days ago when I was looking for help with a leibert mini mate. After finding a post here from someone who had the same problem I was having I joined. From what I can tell there are some very smart people here and I hope that I can fit in and give good advice like the people on this site do.

Finally

Hi guys/gals. Been cruising around here for months after I decided to take the dive and go to to school for the HVAC tech. trade. Been learning a lot on here and as well in school. Thanks to all who are knowledgeable enough to gain insight to us "newbies" its much appreciated. Cant wait to keep learning!

Dusty

Hello everybody,

I am 22 years old and am currently taking community college classes, not sure where I really want to go in life yet. My father owns a business that manufactures walk-in refrigerators/freezers and also sells refrigeration equipment. I have no prior experience in refrigeration but I am currently working for him whenever I don't have class. I would like to learn more about refrigeration basics and am hoping to learn from these forums. I don't expect to become an expert in this field by any means but I hope this forum can be a valuable resource to me in case I end up staying here for a wihle.

[[Sorry, accidental double post]]

What is the name / location of your father's business?

PHM
    ------

Quote Originally Posted by heatkaft View Post
    Hello everybody,

I am 22 years old and am currently taking community college classes, not sure where I really want to go in life yet. My father owns a business that manufactures walk-in refrigerators/freezers and also sells refrigeration equipment. I have no prior experience in refrigeration but I am currently working for him whenever I don't have class. I would like to learn more about refrigeration basics and am hoping to learn from these forums. I don't expect to become an expert in this field by any means but I hope this forum can be a valuable resource to me in case I end up staying here for a wihle.
    PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by Poodle Head Mikey View Post

PHM
    ------
    We are located in Los Angeles, would prefer not to say the name at the moment

I went to a Community College recieved a certificiate in HVAC/R thought I knew it all until I went on my first service call. lol Now im an Attic Rat, until I get my Journeymans license. Any Sugestions on what to study for the Test?

Page 57 of 113 FirstFirst ... 74750515253545556575859606162636467107 ... LastLast