Page 53 of 113 FirstFirst ... 34346474849505152535455565758596063103 ... LastLast

What kind of work do you do Jim ?

What kind of work do you do? What do you work on?

Also: where is OH-IO ?

PHM
    -----

Quote Originally Posted by cisco2 View Post
    Hello, I am new here. My name is jimmy. I decided to go with this field around the 8th grade, for some reason it sparked an interest with me. So i went to a vocational school my 11th and 12th grade year of high school, got with a HVAC company day after graduation. I am no longer with that company anymore, but i have been at it for 8 years strong now.
    PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.

I currently work with a company that works on commercial/industrial HVAC/R equipment. I am a heating and air tech. I work on resi furnaces and a/c, rooftop units, chillers, cooling towers. VAV systems, boilers, heat pumps. Not so much anymore, but i have also worked on low temp, walk in coolers/freezers, ice machines and icecream machines. OH-IO is Ohio

I started in as an attic rat, seeings I am five foot four and one hundred pounds of trash talk that seemed to be the perfect fit (then and still to this day). I become laid off decided to go to tech school and learn to become a tech. I have put in about a year now in service and love it so far. I have some anxiety about going to some calls but I think that's normal for a new guy, and im sure over time that will go away. I sometimes go with other service techs on calls and see that even though they have 25 or more years of experience and they still get stumped. That inspires me to learn more and to do more. I have made some good friends so far and have learned some cool things. I am very interested in knowing more and being the best.

how I started

I started the trade in December of 2008, probably during the worst time of the recession. I didn't know squat, but how to change an air filter. My father has been in the trade as a tin knocker/ installer out of the sheet metal union for the last 25 years, so he introduced me to the trade at a young age.
    before this, i was working as a longshoreman at the port of S.D. Work was going great, even though i was only a casual, not a registered member. BUt as everything else during this era, times got tough.
    I was going to school to get me degree in business administration, but i figured that you can go wrong learning a skill trade. other then less, i like being outdoors, and fixing stuff, so I decided to give this trade a shot.
    The day I got hired, my boss told me to try and enroll in school, down at the city college. So as soon as my final interview was over, i went and registered at city college, and what do you know, clueless to the fact that its open registration, 3 seats were left open in Mechanical systems theory 101.
    Since then iv been going t school for this trade, and got chosen for the UA HVAC apprenticeship, and am currently finishing my 2nd year.
    Though times are tough, I love this field. I swap filters sometime, but my skills have sent me on many service calls, fixing a vast variety of things.
    So far I have worked on package units, splits, boilers (and other water heaters) Lieberts, chillers, pump and seal replacements, controls, ddc controls involving lonworks, alerton, siemems, etc. and much more. Help is always available when i get stumped.
    Now I'm trying to build my network, because I believe its all about helping each other grow stronger.
    And I must admit, the pay isn't to bad, hell being a journeyman, you get paid just as much as a cop.

Always ask as much as possible First

Try to get all the information possible before starting the trip to the job. Ask: What does it do? What does it not do? What did it sound like? When does the problem happen? How old is the equipment? Has this problem ever happened before? What other problems have there been in the past? Etc.

Some of your most productive work will be done on the drive to the job site.

Don't mindlessly listen to the radio in the truck - Think about the problems you are going to resolve.

PHM
    ------

Quote Originally Posted by Trehak01 View Post
    I started in as an attic rat, seeings I am five foot four and one hundred pounds of trash talk that seemed to be the perfect fit (then and still to this day). I become laid off decided to go to tech school and learn to become a tech. I have put in about a year now in service and love it so far. I have some anxiety about going to some calls but I think that's normal for a new guy, and im sure over time that will go away. I sometimes go with other service techs on calls and see that even though they have 25 or more years of experience and they still get stumped. That inspires me to learn more and to do more. I have made some good friends so far and have learned some cool things. I am very interested in knowing more and being the best.
    PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by Poodle Head Mikey View Post
    Try to get all the information possible before starting the trip to the job. Ask: What does it do? What does it not do? What did it sound like? When does the problem happen? How old is the equipment? Has this problem ever happened before? What other problems have there been in the past? Etc.

Some of your most productive work will be done on the drive to the job site.

Don't mindlessly listen to the radio in the truck - Think about the problems you are going to resolve.

PHM
    ------
    Ohh yea I defiantly do. In most cases if im not on call i get the call from dispatch and they are provided with limited info to begin with, NO COOL/NO HEAT is about most they get. sometimes they will get info on what it is doing and not doing but not all the time. We have a call center that takes in bound calls and then they translate the call to the computer and the dispatcher dishes out the work Ill get equipment info and I am getting more and more familiar with the models and there known issues so i can plan ahead make a trip to the parts room and get a blower or a control board. or if it is a call back call but most cases they give those calls the more experience techs, sometimes ill tag with them the help them figure it out and for the experience.

Now If im on call I have more of a one on one conversation with the customer and can ask real probing questions to identify the problem over the phone before i show up there.

I know with time the that will go away and Ill be more familiar with different situations that the anxiety will go away.

Well im 35 real name is John been enjoying this fine trade for 20 years now I'm a gas tech 2 and a 313d air con mechanic (Canadian licences) I've done a little bit of everything resi, light comercial wood burning, hydronics, walk ins bla bla bla. Im currently getting my own company off the ground I'm a Mitsubishi dealer pushing air source as I'm in a rural area where people are spending small fortunes on oil and propane. I've been kicking around on the site for about six years now was pro was but not any more for some reason so here I am applying again. I really enjoy this site get to Learn something new every day from the seasoned techs and the young pups

Never learn enough

Hello my name is Sonny and I have been in the field for 12 years now. Have worked in residential and commercial. Work in the commercial arena right now and really enjoy it. Like this forum because I always say if you don't learn something everyday you must be dead.

new guy

new to this site did post a thread search it

Hello guys... welcome aboard.

If you haven't already, watch how the site flows and how it is set up. It may look like a jumbled mess but there is a method to our madness.

Get your post count up, apply for Pro and get those Bio's filled in.

I'm new to this and learning a lot already! Good set up! I've been in the hvac industry for 7 years. Working on Ac split systems vrf and vrv systems and done some fridge and water chiller work! I'm from Ireland so dif terminology but good to see how the trade differs with u guys, although it's all the same principles I suppose

If you worked on split systems and other staff, ptac's are going to be joke for you. A lot hotels dont even fix them anymore, just replace them. You might be a hero if you fix some. With the new ones u have three options it is bad board with control voltage transformer on it, fuse might be bad also, but if you dont have 24v, it is off at gfci, fuse is bad or transformer (board),cant just change transformer gotta change board and it is easy. Could also be bad thermostat and tstat wire but almost never. If your fan is not running it is almost always motor,alsi easy to replace. And third bad compressor. Those are three things that are cause of all ptacs problems, 90% of the time. And if you have bad compressor it takes time and money to replace so they almost netter of if they just let you replace the whole unit. I am from europe also, non eaglish speaking contry so sorry for spelling. You gonna be just fine with your experience.

Ooops , wrong tred,sorry did not see. This needed to go on tred about ptacs sorry. Dont know how to move.

Page 53 of 113 FirstFirst ... 34346474849505152535455565758596063103 ... LastLast