Page 52 of 113 FirstFirst ... 24245464748495051525354555657585962102 ... LastLast
    First let me say I just found this site and I am no longer in the business as during an install of a return box I blew out my back and that landed me a failed surgery. And this was the job I loved doing. I just want to keep up with some of the new equipment, I know there have been many changes since 1996 when I went out.

Tat said, as a small kid I took everything I could find apart so beatings were almost a weekly thing for me, the best was when I took apart my mothers iron and will that never worked right again lol

As I got older I started with electric and machinery rebuilding with family and that did not turn out good, So I took night classes to learn Air Conditioning and refrigeration as well as taking motor control, oil, plumbing, framing as well as gas seminars I took every class I could find. Bu that time I found I could no longer work for family so I started pounding the pavement and actually making a pest of myself going back every other week to AC companies.

I landed a job and started with installs I was responsible for the electric and refrigeration part of the install. After about 2 years they put me in service and I was enjoying it until I found out they expected me to sell people something anything weather they needed it or not. After going into a few houses as a call back (of other techs) I would find the problem that the previous tech did not find but charged the customer for parts that had nothing to do with the problem but did not install any parts. I would ten hand the tech the part and say you tell them they need this.

I only lasted another few months until I found another job, I then started my own company and did great until my partner robbed the company
    So I we closed the company and I was sought by several companies and decided to work for one company that worked on mostly million dollar houses on the east end of Long Island NY. That that is where i destroyed my back and as stated above failed surgery and the rest lol.

At-least I can laugh about it but I do miss the money and the enjoyment or working at what I enjoyed.

Well it all started with my great grandpa....the man even in his 90's and only having a 5th grade education is one of the smartest men I've known, he was an engineer in WWII, and a miner for many many years, he has pictures and stories of things I could only dream of building or doing. Generation to generation just about every one of us has learned various things from him and have chosen a technical field of some sort.

I grew up working with my grandpa, fixing lawn mowers, digging ponds, working on cars, building the house my wife and I now live in. I've worked in factories, pumped septic tanks, fast food service, some construction, been in college for two years now with a certificate in carpentry, now working on hvac/r. I received my 608 universal certification today and am looking to get into the refrigeration side of this field, or possibly small appliances. I wouldn't mind being a residential tech, just don't want to crawl under or over houses anymore if I don't have to.....been there done that.

Quote Originally Posted by pfeifer View Post
    I have had a terrible time with using old computers and viruses but now I have finally bought one that is new and has proper protection.

I would love to become a pro. member and ask that U please give me consideration for such a posiotion or guide me and explain what I have to do to become a pro. member

thanku 4 your time
    See my sig line and click the Pro Membership link. Fill out the form and send it in

Hello to all and Thank You for the wealth of knowledge you have shared on this site.
    I've been a commercial Building Engineer for about 40 years now. I started out at a 10 story hotel when I was fresh out of high school. I quickly realized that I had found my calling. I worked there with a number of skilled people who mentored me and gave me the chance to work on every piece of equipment in that place. I read every manual, spec sheet and parts catalog we had in the shop and started taking technical classes at the local college. Back then, the guy I always thought had the best job was not the Chief Engineer but the Corporate Engineer. That became my goal and many years and a number of jobs later I had it. Well, after 10 years of long hours, meetings, reports, budgets and politics The company sold the corporate office, moved into leased space and I started to miss my tool pouch and the pleasure of working on equipment. Before the management promotion I had the joy of things like taking a 1950 something 225 ton, R113 Trane Centravac with half the cork insulation falling off, leaks everywhere, a disfunctional purge unit, in a filthy basement equipment room and turing the place into an equipment room that shined from corner to corner with everything working correctly. The other aspect I began to miss was the technical learning. I realized that I had not been keeping up with the changes in the industry and that there were many exciting new advancements that I wasn't familiar with. So, many years later, here I am, still carrying my tool pouch and learning new things and better ways to do things everyday. I look forward to participaing in this site and hope I can give back as much as I get.

After high school graduation I attended UTI in Phoenix I then landed a job with a local Refrig & A\C contractor making $3.00 hr. I was in the money back in 75. I've been in the industry ever since. I did comm & resid. installations for 7yrs I then went into the wholesale business working with various HVACR wholesalers working the counter, doing outside sales and marketing in my territory including Mexico, I then became manager and since then I have recently semi-retired to spend time with my family and grandchildren. I am still in touch with the industry sometimes helping out my brother in law who is a local gen contractor sizing equip and proposing jobs. I ran across this site recently and find it very informative and up to date with the latest trends in the industry and look forward to being a part of HVAC-Talk.

Hey y'all !!

As you can see I'm from tx lol 24 years old, march 7 turning 25 and well it all started when I decided to finish high school one year early. I made a call to my school, Lincoln tech. No one would give me a full time job because I was 17, with not wanting to go to college at the time. To be honest I don't know how I got into hvac? Was more into electronics maybe that's why but yupp I finish my hvac program, started my new position as an installer. My lead man at the time was a a$$. I was so green that I didn't know how to hammer anything!! Well I put up with that for 1 year, I couldn't stand working for minimum wage and all bs. So my school assistance help me land the company I'm with now.i was doing nothing but airflow issues at the time.2 crew team. For 1 year.then, i Quit for 1 year to go back to school and to do part time apt maint. After that went back to my company I'm at started installing climbed up the ladder to RNC to do start up/service, bee. Here for 4 years now and happy with this career choice I made, Im still learning more everyday and have lots more to learn!!

hmm ... where to start....
    Im 28 and when I graduated high school i needed a job to fund my Major .. ( That being chasing the ladies and laying out all night)... someone i knew had a AC company and sub-contacted for Sears... So reluctantly i started working for him... I hated it... And when i say hate... i mean HATE..... there was nothing about attics and duct work that i like at all.....

So after 2 years I begged Johnson Controls to hire me to do anything ....
    So they did... and i worked in refineries doing industrial changeouts/service... (much better) I started to love my work, it was challenging and everyday was something different... I worked there for 4 years and the politics of a large company started eating at me...so i quit...

Now, I work for a company that specialize in hazardous locations (salt water,explosion proof).. A majority of my work is offshore, and overseas... Sometimes (Like now) i work on land drilling rigs...

I love it now... maybe its the adventure... or the helicopter rides .... or the 15' seas and your on a boat .... or the weird people you come across when your in 3rd world countries..

Thats pretty cool. Wouldnt think of an hvac career like that.

starting out in HVAC industry

HI ALL!
    I am starting out in the gas industry. I have a diploma from a technical college and in Canada we have a governing body that calls themselves TSSA. I have a certification as a GAS TECH 2 and am starting a business working as a gas tech. I am hoping to use this forum to help with any issues I may come across in the field.

What does a gas-tech do?

What does a gas tech do? What is the job description? What sorts of things does a gas-tech work on or with?

PHM
    ------

Quote Originally Posted by aj1984 View Post
    HI ALL!
    I am starting out in the gas industry. I have a diploma from a technical college and in Canada we have a governing body that calls themselves TSSA. I have a certification as a GAS TECH 2 and am starting a business working as a gas tech. I am hoping to use this forum to help with any issues I may come across in the field.
    PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.

there are 3 levels of gas tech here in Canada gas tech 3 that is basically a helper and can work under the direct supervision of a higher class of gas tech. A gas tech 2 can work on any natural gas and propane appliances and piping up to 400000 btuh and we have to follow the gas codes outlined in our code books. Gas tech 1 can work on appliances and equipment in excess of 400000BTUH and you need a gas license to work in canada.

The US really needs more licensing

Although I am against the intrusion into personal freedoms - the fact that one must be well trained and qualified to become a turd herder but anybody who can write his name somewhat legibly can become a refrigeration mechanic just amazes me.

So gas-tech is a qualification to work on gas fired equipment. I didn't know that. I like Canada and I'm going to start living there as soon as they start growing palm trees all year round.

PHM
    --------

Quote Originally Posted by aj1984 View Post
    there are 3 levels of gas tech here in Canada gas tech 3 that is basically a helper and can work under the direct supervision of a higher class of gas tech. A gas tech 2 can work on any natural gas and propane appliances and piping up to 400000 btuh and we have to follow the gas codes outlined in our code books. Gas tech 1 can work on appliances and equipment in excess of 400000BTUH and you need a gas license to work in canada.
    PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.

Hello, I am new here. My name is jimmy. I decided to go with this field around the 8th grade, for some reason it sparked an interest with me. So i went to a vocational school my 11th and 12th grade year of high school, got with a HVAC company day after graduation. I am no longer with that company anymore, but i have been at it for 8 years strong now.

Page 52 of 113 FirstFirst ... 24245464748495051525354555657585962102 ... LastLast