Page 50 of 113 FirstFirst ... 4043444546474849505152535455565760100 ... LastLast
    Been in the field for 30 plus years but somewhat limited to certain equipment due to working for a school systems maintenance dept. Mostly residential size units but some was commercial. Lots of wall hungs, a few ice machines, and boilers. The system has 36 facilities and we had a crew of 6 in hvac. A couple of them are very good troubleshooters. The three of us together represented 90+ years experience.

I have just recently passed the State exam. Not sure thats saying much. If I can pass it any idiot can! Took a review course for the test at Alabama Power Heat Pump Training center in Sept. If you are in Alabama or close you should check it out, the place is awesome and great instruction on anything heat pump related.

Hoping to run a sole proprietor business in the near future. Just waiting on the Govt. right now to get in touch with me. Then I need to find some work! Going to try get get some preventative maintenance jobs from the schools, and plan on visiting the Dollar Stores here to see if they will give me a shot.

Look forward to meeting you folks on here. I figure to be around awhile. To stay sharp you have to keep doing it. This is as close as I can get for awhile.

Great site i just got licensed by the state of georgia last year. Wanted to try it for myself and i found out something. The boss doesnt make nearly as much money as i thought and their job is a whole lot harder than i though

Cant wait to see the business and marketing forum!!

I have been in and out of this trade since tech school in 1997.I learned the most about troubleshooting in the last 2 years.I have just scratched the surface.I love the company I work for and realize how lucky I am to have a job with benefits like vac and sick time,uniforms,tool allowance,and good pay.I look forward to every service call and can't wait to see what tomorrow brings.

You take the good with the bad.HVAC is no different than any other job,but sometimes you need a little more patients. I can,t imagine many other trades having to stand on your head inside a heat pump [american std] to braze the bottom side of a suction filter/dryer.If I wouldn't have broke my mirror it might have been easier.Never give up,never.

This is an interesting sight. I wish I would have found it earlier. I have been in the field for 17yrs. Right now I am starting my own business and am overwhelmed with paperwork and trying to figure out how to market. I look forward to meeting new people here!

Paperwork

Talk about paperwork. I am on the sales side of the business. I spend so much time writing up proposals. I sell about 20%, thats alot of wasted time.
    Everybodies getting three bids these days. The low price gets the job. I can talk till I'm blue in the face about how good the Carrier two speed furnace is. But, in the end, they go with the single speed York that was a much lower price. I do keep the old paperwork. Sometimes, they call back a year later when they have saved some money.

Electrician crossing to the darkside

I started out as an IBEW electrician, complete with a 4 year apprenticeship (now it's 5 years with the 5th year covering electronics, my timing was always off) and then after about 14 or so years doing "pipe and wire" jobs, I wanted something more challenging, and after becoming a foreman for several contractors and "running" jobs, I applied for a maintenance position with a local school district. Didn't expect all the politics involved, wasn't the real world, where profit was logic, it was pleasing those in power. Almost came to the point where I was going to pull the plug, and then suddenly, due to several changes in administration, I was asked if I wished to further myself in networking, data, sound, pneumatics, and then finally, "Ta Da!!!" Asked to enroll in classes at a community college for A/C and refrigeration. it was as if the heavens had opened and I began to feel as if I had found my "bent" in life! After taking numerous HVAC classes, getting my EPA cert, etc. I then began to work on rooftop A/C units, walk-in freezers, etc. with a venegance. Then shortly afterward, the School district entered in to a service contract with Johnson Controls. I felt initimated at first, but then realized that the service techs actually enjoyed working with me shoulder to shoulder, and furthermore, advancing me in my knowledge and experience. When we installed Metasys district wide, I became the district's "Building Support Service" guy (BSS). I didn't get any more pay, but was pretty much the most important working grunt in the house! My current obsession right now is to learn all I can regarding control networking (protocols, etc.) As we have a hybrid of LON networks, as well as JCI's N2 open protocol. Loving the challenges and also love learning things on here as an outside observer that has often made me a hero to my bosses! (I have to clean up my own ticker tape after the parade). So, I finally decided to take the leap and join. Now I have to figure out what steps I have to take to make it to the professional level, even though all I want to do is to peek through the peep hole in the fence at the questions and answers in those venues.
    Thanks for the opportunity guys, hoping to learn which hoops to jump through here!

Confused

hello everyone,the new forefront ah's from trane/am. std. I like a lot of things about them,but I 've found the fault codes don't always match the problem or the service facts.had 2 calls where the ntco's [noncycling thermal cut out] have failed.I'm not sure why the elements are not staging on slowly with the variable speed fan.afc board shows correct cfm,dip switches are correct.must do more research.

living the dream

I consider myself very lucky.I love my job,my employer is great.In the area I work there isn't a lot of crawl spaces or attic installs.90% of systems are electric resistance heat or heat pumps.I rarely have to touch sheet metal.In the summer I rarely have to work more than 11 hrs a day.All I have to do is try. I volunteer to be on call every saturday and can't wait for tomorrow.

Hello I'm Allen, I started off In the hvac trade being adjuct cleaner running a caddy vac truck and moved on to maintenance and then service. I have taken Charlie greers corse , went to the ultimate technical academy in arkansas for the heating tech class. Right now I'm working in Washington and I am learning more taking classes at HBTI in kent.

Any certain reason you chose a sole proprietorship?

Quote Originally Posted by Tech it out View Post
    Been in the field for 30 plus years but somewhat limited to certain equipment due to working for a school systems maintenance dept. Mostly residential size units but some was commercial. Lots of wall hungs, a few ice machines, and boilers. The system has 36 facilities and we had a crew of 6 in hvac. A couple of them are very good troubleshooters. The three of us together represented 90+ years experience.

I have just recently passed the State exam. Not sure thats saying much. If I can pass it any idiot can! Took a review course for the test at Alabama Power Heat Pump Training center in Sept. If you are in Alabama or close you should check it out, the place is awesome and great instruction on anything heat pump related.

Hoping to run a sole proprietor business in the near future. Just waiting on the Govt. right now to get in touch with me. Then I need to find some work! Going to try get get some preventative maintenance jobs from the schools, and plan on visiting the Dollar Stores here to see if they will give me a shot.
    Any particular reason a sole proprietorship buisness?

Look forward to meeting you folks on here. I figure to be around awhile. To stay sharp you have to keep doing it. This is as close as I can get for awhile.
    Just curious why you chose sole proprietorship over others?

I have to talk to an accountant. I dont have a clue about business which is what I'm hoping to gain here as I get started. I guess I figured I'm not hiring any employees so sp. I'm at the very beginning of a very small business. Just need to work enough to supplement my retirement income.

work hard and give it ALL away!!!

[QUOTE=Tech it out;12500981]I have to talk to an accountant. I dont have a clue about business which is what I'm hoping to gain here as I get started. I guess I figured I'm not hiring any employees so sp. I'm at the very beginning of a very small business. Just need to work enough to supplement my retirement income.[/QUON

Any business that even has minimal amounts of liablity exposure SHOULD NOT set of thier business type as a Sole Proprietorship, 100% of the profit and loss are reported on your personal tax return. The scary thing about SP is the owner is 100% liable for any damages, lawsuites claims etc. They have no limit as to how much of your personal property they can sieze in an attempt to recoup their loss. I can not think of ANY sector of HVAC that a sole proprietorship could safely be used. H
    ere is a link to a site that explains the different ways to incorporate. I have an LLC, taxed as single member.
    there is TONS of incorporating info herehttp://biztaxlaw.about.com/od/busine...inesstypes.htm

Page 50 of 113 FirstFirst ... 4043444546474849505152535455565760100 ... LastLast