Page 49 of 113 FirstFirst ... 394243444546474849505152535455565999 ... LastLast
    i just submited it .this site is great

hi ,time to share.today was another great day.Running service calls is the best job ever.found an empty propane tank before knocking on the customers door.spent a little time finding warranty info on all residential equipment mfgs to compare with american stds.still waiting on replacement circuit board. Make sure you have steel toed boots on when you get your foot in the door.

Quote Originally Posted by royd2 View Post
    i just submited it .this site is great
    We have changed the Pro application. It's easier to fill out and submit now. I see yours went smoothly.

Kesfan.... and a short nose less it be pinched in the door jam.

yes it was easy thanks

Hi, my name is Kevin and I'm an HVAC Service Tech from Kansas City, MO. I've been an occasional visitor and lurker and I really want to pump up my post count so I can see what's going on in the Pro's forum. This board is an incredible resource for people who are serious about their careers.

I've always been interested in how things work and fixing broken stuff. I grew up in a small Western Kansas farming community and both of my grandparents had farms. We lived in town (my Dad was a Banker), but I spent a lot of time working on appliances and farm equipment. It was sink or swim a lot of times because you don't exactly call AAA if you can't get the tractor started!

I didn't start out thinking I would be an HVAC Technician. Instead, I studied Agricultural Journalism at Kansas State University. After Graduation, I moved to Kansas City because that's what most of my friends did. The job market was tough, but I found a job writing resumes for people. I did that for a few years and it was OK, but one of my customers talked me into coming to work for him as a Headhunter in the Computer Consulting business. That job was fun for a while, and I certainly made some good money, but I also found myself staring out of my office window wishing I could be outside part of the day. One of the big benefits of that job was getting exposed to Personal Computers and I got pretty good at building systems from the ground up.

Anyway, after Y2K, demand for large scale projects went away and the company I worked for was purchased by a company from India. That was a bad thing, but it forced me to think hard about my career choices.

I enrolled at the Business and Technology College (part of Kansas City's Metropolitan Community College) for their 1 semester "job ready" program. It was 21 credit hours that covered the basics in the classroom and the lab. A couple of weeks before Graduation, the school had an open house for employers to come meet new graduates. They served a BBQ lunch (this IS Kansas City, after all) and the guy I sat next to was looking for someone to rebuild their computer infrastructure and make the office run smoother.

I was able to get them set up and helped run the office for a while. I really wanted to get into a service truck, so I brought my textbooks to work with me. My boss got the hint and I started out as a helper.

**To be continued**

got my blower control board in for frigidaire b3bm. found that the blower motor shorted and caused the board failure. replaced the motor,circuit board,leaky evap. coil,and found 3 faulty thermal cutouts.recommend against frigidaire. system is 6 yrs old

Hello, my name is Adrian.
    i started in this field in 2003, i walked into a A/C buisness and asked for a job. first question was, do u have experience, my answer was no, but willing to learn. i got hired as a helper in installation, but when it got slow they took me along for service. i kept asking questions and wanting to know why things worked, and needed that spacific part. i decided to go to tech college, and got my associates, graduated on Saturday, and started working on Monday, they put my out on my own by da 3rd day and told me, if you need help call me. i wanted to prove my self and my boss i could do it, and i did. 2 years latter i got my hvac license. now i work for the School District, and have my own buissnes after hours, which keep me from comming home on time for dinner, but at the and of the road, i know something good is waiting. im trying to build my buissnes and customers before i really give it my full time. i love this job, couldnt had chose another carrear where you always meet new people, and chalanges daily. thanks to every one on this web page, ive been watchinc and reading for a while, but never registerd till today. hope to get your guys advise and help when needed. thanks again.

Hi everybody.

I've been reading this site for years and have gotten tons of great info and horror stories. I started my HVAC career in 1999 after my time in the NAVY as a chef.

I came back to my hometown for a friends wedding and ran into an old buddy who I had known for years. He had a HOT older sister who was also at the wedding, all growing up she was allways beautiful, way out of my league but what the hell, right. So I was talking to my buddys sister, Lisa. I came back home several times over the next few months as our relationship was developing. Lisa's brother, my old buddy, worked for an HVAC company as a new construction installer. He had a few run ins with the law and had lost his drivers license, the boss basically hired helpers to drive him to the job and back home. He didn't like his current help(less), as he called him. Said I should go check it out and work with him. I wasn't liking the chef thing much as anytime you want to be at home with family, you'd need to be in the kitchen. I remember my first day on the job was an hour from home and we got paid drive time, awesome. The first day I caught on quick and was hanging rigid duct and masticing an 80' trunkline. I would ask, how am I doing, his last two helpers had never hung duct, just bang it together on the ground and that's it. So time goes on and I move up to field lead man. We had an old engineer designing ductwork and scribbling them on cartoons. We had tons of houses that didn't work and no field quality control. I started taking every class I could and reading every manual and book I could get my hands on. I then progressed to a possition I created for my self as field supervisor to try to fix many of the field problems that were constantly costing the boss money. During this time still taking every class I could and passing as much as I could to the installers and our ole engineer cartoon drawer. All this time the owner was the scheduler and dispacher and his office was the WAR room. He tried to have others step in and do his job, but of course no one can do it like the owner. He had eight people try to, and they all lasted about nine months. I offered to take over that position to see if I could figure out what was so hard that no body could do it right and perhaps, fix it. That was five years ago. With the decline of new construction I've had to adapt to different stratagies, mostly doing design work for the retrofit dept. Managing the entire construction devision and sheetmetal shop for some time. Most recently getting into home efficiency, and running the aeroseal machine, whilst designing new construction jobs, and running those crews. Oh and my buddys hot sister, is now MY hot wife of five years. Still eager to learn and to train as much as I can.

I started out helping with residential HVAC installs, doing the fun stuff like tearing out old units, lugging tools and equipment around, cleaning up the job site and keeping the truck organized. They also let me run gas lines and do the electrical work. One of the guys I helped would set the furnace, do the sheet metal and flue then take a nap while I did my thing. I learned to get in there when he took a smoke break then he'd have to push me out of the way when he wanted to get back to work. Gradually I got quick enough that he wasn't taking any more naps!

The finally let me start doing service calls and it was a real eye opener. I realized that there was a lot to learn, and asked a lot of questions along the way. My boss was fond of saying "you're smart, you'll figure it out", which was true, but it was still stressful. It took me about a year before I was kinda comfortable with most generic calls.

At the same time, it seems like I ran into my fair share of goofy calls. I've endured many a butt kicking (usually on Friday afternoon), but those are the kind of things that make you a better tech. The best thing about this trade is that you always learn new things. It's also never the same two days in a row.

For those new to the trade, congratulations, you chose well. Your job can never be outsourced to China or Mexico or India. There are a lot of guys that make a good living cleaning up after hacks and your skills will always be in demand.

Hello folks . My name is James. Tech graduate work for the local school system.Also lic. myself... work 7 days a week. Love it. Ive done residential for 6 years but needing help on the commercial side. School has 900 h/a units 17 kitchens--2 techs 2 helpers. I think this site will really help out. Im really more of a reader than one to give advice...

Hello every-one, My name is Ben. I've been on the commercial side of the industry for over 20 years. I've enjoyed reading the forums especially when I have to deal with a new automation system. there isn't too much of that here ... yet, but I hope to change that. Even home sytems are getting fancier so there is a need for regulars to be aware of a few things. I look forward to sharing my knowledge.

Sales Engineer

I have been HVAC field for 25 years. I am a sales engineer and a project manager for a mechanical contractor in Northen California. Sales have been diffiuclt in the last several years. I am hoping sales pick up this year. I sell mostly Carrier products for residential and light commercial projects. I have a Professional Engineer's license. But, I dont use it much in my current position.

Page 49 of 113 FirstFirst ... 394243444546474849505152535455565999 ... LastLast