Page 46 of 113 FirstFirst ... 363940414243444546474849505152535696 ... LastLast
    Hello, I'm new to this forum, and very glad to be on here.

I work for a consulting engineering firm and am getting my break as a Mechanical Designer after years of wearing many hats in a growing company. I started out at the bottom as a drafter, then started customizing our CAD software, that led in to managing the IT systems for a 70+ person firm. Now I'm designing commercial HVAC systems and taking HVAC classes at a local community college. I find this field to be very interesting, and hope to increase my knowledge daily, and perhaps start my own business.

Building Automation

Hello, I'm new to this forum and just getting started on here.

Just over 4 years ago - myslf and my partner started a new Building Automation Service and Installation company here in Denver, Co. We are a Honeywell BCS Contractor specializing in Honeywell Webs.

Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post
    When I started, I knew nothing and knew that I knew nothing.

Then I learned a little and thought I knew a little.

Then I learned a little bit more and I knew that I knew everything.

Now, I know a little bit more and know that I will never completely understand this stuff.
    agreed- i'm on the rep side of things, and have been for several years, from parts (MARS, bristol, embraco) to tools (inficon, zebra, testo), to iaq solutions (aprilaire, who I currently work for). I don't want to hide this fact- the way I look at it, I can help people find solutions that they otherwise wouldn't know about.

Even though I don't represent anyone other than Aprilaire at this point, I would love to answer any questions about my past products (and their competitors... I'm not afraid to tell the truth and let people know when other companies have *THAT* feature that is needed).

Cheers,
    SAC

Hey all, omitting previous experience details for security.
    It was 5 years ago, on a cool, September day. I had been laid off from my then-present job at a big box chain. Not one to rest on my laurels, I decided to place around for work while going to college. I got a call-back to Wa*-M***, passed all interviews, drug tests, and was scheduled to go in next week.
    Well, for grins, I went and picked up one more app, at the local HVAC shop. Turned out that I knew the secretary's best friend, and the resident tin-bangers cousin.
    First year was tin-banging, install, fabrication and expediting parts to the field for resi and light comm. Not many mistakes, very good OTJ training and continuing edu.
    Year 2 was PCTS duct sealing, duct cleanings. (Hey, you're skinny, we've got a crawl trunk for you to insulate...) Radiant rough-ins, controls and ops. Along with all the above.
    Year 3 was a good one, started in service, ride-alongs and official flashlight-holder for a bit, with classes in between to get up on the refer side. Riding with the old boys that started the company 37 years ago, the newer "Mavrick" tech that just made things work, and the neat-freaks. Yes, you, Chris.
    Year 4 was more crosstraining, getting my new guys to neaten the shop, bang out radius fittings, and to NOT CROSS-BREAK 30+ degrees! along with service, install, and shop. I got em up to speed, and refereed the more complicated tinwork to the resident tinnier. Also took up almost all warranty repair work with one other seinor tech backing. 5 ton comp changeout, 30ft lineset, full recovery, LL, 400 micron. 300PSI test, yeees, 3.5 hours.
    Year 5 has been... interesting. That Tracker/Tracer summit class, Mitzi M/P/Citi-Multi, More repairs.. why trane why?!.. Resident nerd, HCOP numbers, parts numbers, suppliers, P&A's... Somehow I took over my previous managers work-load and didn't skip ... much of a beat.

Oh, there's so much more to learn! I haven't touched any WSHP's, Boilers, Or oilers in a month! So much residential work it's insane!..

Okay, enough novelettes, carry on

I got my start ten years ago by graduating from HVAC school at the local community college. I had a hard time finding a decent paying job in the field right out of college and went to work as a maintenance mechanic in a food manufacturing factory. I moonlighted on the side doing service and installs for family, friends, and friends of friends. The industry is very rewarding in the aspect of providing necessary comfort to people. Lighting a furnace at midnight when it's ten degrees below zero will give you Superman status in anyones home. After being in the factory for ten years I have managed to work my way into facilities management and use my HVAC degree on a daily basis in order to maintain plant boilers and complex HVAC systems. I look forward to bouncing ideas, as well as providing input to the best of my knowledge, with the rest of the professionals who post on this web forum.

I started my apprenticeship as an Operating Engineer (Stationary) 14 years ago October 12, 1998. I was taught everything from General Maintenance to Locksmithing, Welding and yes, HVAC&R. I worked for four years while attending school two nights a week. I went on to work as an HVAC mechanic but found myself quickly annoyed when I had to defer to the 'controls guys' on many of the service calls I went on. I went to work for Johnson Controls and quickly rose to Systems Designer. After the crash of 2008, I went to work for an Automated Logic dealer. Their microblock programming format taught me not only the ins-and-outs (pun intended) of logic, but helped me to understand many of the previous controllers I had a hard time with. More recently, I've been working as a service technician for a Tridium AX dealer and have honed my integration skills. Integrations are always a challenge as there are always new combinations of systems to service. I have to admit though, I'm a die hard ALC fan but I know that integrations are the future and here to stay. Better get used to it!

I started out taking HVAC in high school,then at local community college.I learned alot in school but ive learned alot more on the job.Ive been in this business for 11 years 6 of which i was half owner of a residential hvac business.The whole business partner thing wasnt for me.I currently work on a military base and for the past 3 years I have been learning chilled water sytems.

thought i would share with you all my qualifications, i see not many members are from australia am i right?

Registered Electrical Contractor, Energy Safe Victoria, 19149

A - Grade Electrician, Energy Safe Victoria, A42637

Install Split Systems up to 18kw, Plumbing Industry Commission, 100654

Refrigerant Handling Licence, ArcTick Victoria, L068020

Refrigerant Trading Authorisation, ArcTick Victoria, AU26338

"Green Electrician" - Energy Efficiency, Master Electricians Australia, 21876VIC

Grid Connect Solar Installation, University of Ballarat, UEENEEK025C

Set Up Interval Metering, University of Ballarat, UEENEEG071C

Infomation Technology, University of Ballarat, Certificate 4

Infomation Technology, University of Ballarat, Certificate 3

Mechanical Engineering, University of Ballarat, Certificate 1

Mechanical Engineering, University of Ballarat, Certificate 2

Quote Originally Posted by Dad View Post
    Welcome... Someone turned the world upside down and put you guys on top again?

haha... funny man... last time i checked our economy was on top of most countries, does that count as on top?

As i only have a restricted install license, other than the 14 day course which i had to do to learn all about how to install, refrigerant types, rules and regulations etc... everything else i have learnt myself along the way while fully installing mini splits electrical and the plumbing, and i have a few questions which i would love to have answered hence why im really keen to get into the pro sections and see what infomation is available.

I havent ever needed to add refrigerant to a system yet and i would like some guidance on the correct use of the recovery pump and why to use the vapour recovery over liquid etc...

so thanks for the opportunity!

You hang in there, no worries about "self taught" as it makes for the best education in most corners of the world.

Lurk around for a while, learn the flow of the site and understand the rules. Soon your post count will be high enough to join the Pro Membership here. The Educational Forums will be your best buddy.

Quote Originally Posted by Dad View Post
    You hang in there, no worries about "self taught" as it makes for the best education in most corners of the world.

Lurk around for a while, learn the flow of the site and understand the rules. Soon your post count will be high enough to join the Pro Membership here. The Educational Forums will be your best buddy.
    sorry i must ask... is the dog in your avatar about the dump on your laptop???!!!

Page 46 of 113 FirstFirst ... 363940414243444546474849505152535696 ... LastLast