Page 45 of 113 FirstFirst ... 353839404142434445464748495051525595 ... LastLast
    after 15 yrs in the trade i finally find this forum......omfg.....really could have used this type of info when i was a green tech, and didnt know how to lite a hwt pilot....

well better late than never.

sure hope i can answer a few questions for the boys, and maybe get a few answered for myself.....

Welcome aboard guys. #1 Rule is... read the rules. (See my signature)

Next is get your post count up and join the free Pro area (See my signature)

Then take it one further and get your * so you can speak with our guests to answer questions and to place your pin on our Contractors Locator Map. (yeah, See my signature)

Hello to all, new to this site. I happened to stumble onto it and now can't seem to stumble anywhere else!! I have been in the trade for 17 years, all at same company. Started as an apprentiece a week after high school,been there ever since. Mainly residential, and some light comm. the main thing i have always remembered over the years is "if u meet someone that says they know everything about this trade, get away from them as fast as u can, cuz they're gunna hurt u or themselves!!". That was one of the first things said to me from the owner when i started. Well, even after all these years, no danger of me hurting someone, some days i feel like there is nothing i can't fix, other days, like there is nothing left to break! I do know, that i still love to go to work everyday, and still enjoy what i do. Thanks to all who take time to help, have a good new year!

lynden, now that you stumbled into the best place for info, get that post count up and see all the links in Dad's signature

and

Dad should change his username to See My Sig!
    It`s better to be silent and thought the fool; than speak and remove all doubt.

I've been in industrial matenance for 30 years, mainly textile. textiles shriveled and died so I went bacck to school and got an aas degree in welding technology. seemed like a good idea at the time. Then welding jobs dried up. I decided to train in HVAC.
    when I started school there were no less than a dozen jobs for HVAC techs in the paper every week. by the time I got my advanced certificate ( my school stopped the AAS Degree the semester before I started ) There were no jobs to be found. I got my start in hotels as a tech for 8.00 hr. good training though. I really learned how to repair what others had fubarred. good experance in all aspects of the trade. I had to do all of their resterants as well so I got to learn a lot about the commercial side and all the ways people who know NOTHING can mess up a unit. Worked for a couple of companies and then started working for myself. hopefully things will get better in 2012. Good luck to all.

hang in there .like you i began my career not knowing squat.i rode with techs who taught me tons about the field peaking my intrest.then came school graduated 3.75 gpa twenty years later i find my self teaching young techs what i have learned what i dont know i find out.yes its alot of hard work and hours.but i would not change it for the world it is very rewarding

Mikeybow, welcome! New here myself, look forward to learning from you, and hope somewhere along the line maybe I can return the favor

Quote Originally Posted by Tech23 View Post

That pretty well sums it up...I can so relate! Everytime I start to get a little cocky....
    you are so great
    learner here

hello i'm new to this site is this where i should be?

I was going through freshman year exploratories (try each shop for a week) at my vocational technical high school, when my dad told me to state my intentions.

So I told him I was going to be an auto mechanic.
    An he said Boy, you ain't gonna be no auto mechanic.

So next week I went through the electrical shop.
    Not going to repeat what he said.
    I think there were 7 other vocational shops.

Choices he gave to me were HVAC or Plumbing so I picked HVAC.
    It was actually the most desired choice of the whole freshman class of 120.

So there I was, not knowing the difference between my butt and a hole in the ground, learning the refrigeration cycle. Was lucky to have the same teacher all four years. Found a job early and was registered as a pre apprentice during junior year, 1.5 days a week OJT (on job training).
    Senior year moved up to apprentice and got 3.5 days a week OJT.

Our senior class finished 56 students strong.
    After graduation it has been 13 years full time for the same company and I am very thankful my dad steered me into a good career path.

Hey everyone, new here and I go to Dunwoody in Minneapolis, mn. I am currently a second year service student and the current class I am in is Commercial controls. Oh how do I love pneumatics

Page 45 of 113 FirstFirst ... 353839404142434445464748495051525595 ... LastLast