Page 42 of 113 FirstFirst ... 323536373839404142434445464748495292 ... LastLast
    Went to a trade school program offered to me through my employer a few months back and have been working on mainly small refrigerators and freezers lately and have done several recoveries and tossed those units after I dismantled them. Came into work tonight to find a new toy that my company had purchased a while back and has never been used, it a Testo 560 just started looking at this thing and reading the manual and WOW its going to spoil me when it comes to guages almost afraid to use it! hoping once i get my pro memebership i can get some more useful info on this bad boy!

My story is a little different than most of you. I do share loving taking things apart, and getting them back together. First job that paid me for fixing stuff was a vending company. Loved the pinball, video games and juke boxes. From their I got an associates degree in electronics. Part of the class was writing a counting program and saving it to cassette tape : ) Moved on from their to working at a record company manufacturing plant. Very little electronics, lots of mechanical, electrical and pneumatic stuff to fix. Went back to school for commercial electrical, got another associates degree and a job offer for a HVAC manufacture. In the owners wisdom he made me spend a few years each in wiring and piping. I thought he wanted me to prove myself. But he wanted to give me more practical experience in construction. From there I became a technician in plant and on the road for several years. Ever try to take everything you need on a plane? A few years in the electrical engineering department, a few years as production supervisor, and into the service department. Now Im tech support. I know only a fraction of most of you. But I normally know where to find the answers. I registered on HVACtalk to try to learn more from your experiences. I have not been through HVAC school, but I do have over 25 years practical experience working with all sorts of smart folks in the HVAC world.
    Always leave it better than you found it.

Quote Originally Posted by yorkman1997 View Post
    anybody from here from the Centrifugal field to tell how to know about afficency about the operating machine Exaple' 2000 ton centrifugal macnine runing on full load so how to calculate this machine taking how much kw per ton?
    Best regards,
    Jann Butt
    take it to chiller section and we will get you your answer

I have been in and out of the field for many years. I started in the 60s working with my grandfather.
    The first central air system I worked on had a compressor in the third floor attic and a small water tower alongside the driveway!
    I had another residential unit that had a water cooled condenser running a single pass from city water. The water bill cost more than the power!

I used to strip compressors out of old refrigerators to turn it into a vacuum pump.

I took it up in trade school but ended up as an auto/truck mechanic for a few years. When I moved into the maintenance field I started maintaining the in-house equipment.
    I tried road service for a few years doing mainly refrigeration. With that company folding I'm back as an in-house for a Medical company handling multiple buildings with a wide variety of systems. I have been able to turn around a lot of mistakes done by past contractors at this place.

New to HVAC...

I just wanted to post a quick update...

The quarter is almost over and I've learned so much! I have 2 more finals to take next week. I've learned about electrical schematics, motor windings and airflow. I especially loved hooking up electrical wiring in series and parallel circuits. I purchased my gauges and multimeter (FIELDPIECE), Klein tools and toolbag. After my finals, I'm done with classes until the 2nd week of January. Can't wait to start back up...

Quote Originally Posted by thehvaclady View Post
    I just wanted to post a quick update...

The quarter is almost over and I've learned so much! I have 2 more finals to take next week. I've learned about electrical schematics, motor windings and airflow. I especially loved hooking up electrical wiring in series and parallel circuits. I purchased my gauges and multimeter (FIELDPIECE), Klein tools and toolbag. After my finals, I'm done with classes until the 2nd week of January. Can't wait to start back up...
    If you don't have one get an 11 in 1 screwdriver (Klein) the best thing I have in my pocket. Keep your eye out for unique tools wherever they may be sold. I found a great multi tool in Cracker Barrel. Yea right but have had it for years and it does the trick in the right situation. Look for small and light remember you will carry them to every job.

Apparently I'm almost a year late, but here goes. I roofed houses for four years. I then realised I was going to look like a pirate before my thirties if I kept roofing. I started looking through courses at the British Columbia Institute of Technology. Refrigeration sounded like something that required a bit more brain usage than pounding shingles on all day. So I signed up for the HVAC & R program. It was challenging at first but once I got back into that school mentality I started to do very well. There was only one guy who got better scores than me. ...David... Anyway, I have one term left and I enjoy the work!

the first company I worked for had me sweeping the shop and delivering parts to techs in the field. I did this for 6 months and then returned to BCIT for second term. I know I'm supposed to earn my stripes and whatnot, but I told that company that I wouldn't be back. Now I have a job with a reputable plumbing company. They have a modest (and relatively new) service division. Two plumbers and one refrig tech... And two of those are the same person! So they took me on as their aspiring HVAC tech. Being an apprentice-service tech can be stressfull at times, but I believe it is a great way to learn. Thrown to the wolves, as they say.

Great site, I registered a while ago and recently was convinced by a co-worker to get on the site. I've been in this industry for several years as a residential service tech, journeyman licensed in 3 states and NATE certified. Looking to take RSES CM shortly. Looking forward to learning and sharing on this site!!!

I've been in this industry for 20 yrs. in all facets of it.. Licensed and certified, but I still learn something new nearly everyday..

Talking

Ok, 28 years ago I got an electronics technologist cert, promptly went to work for a record manufacturer and then everyone switched to CDs. Record co went belly up. Wondered what to do so I thought, might as well become a carpenter. Good thought till 28oz framing hammers gave the wrist some bad trouble and couldn't frame houses anymore (this was before pneumatic nailers took off).
    A plumber on one site said, come help me install this boiler......I was hooked. Got my gas 1 ticket in Ontario and have installed and serviced just about every boiler going and the odd furnace.
    The electronics helped me to understand controls and fluid flow and also, having a bit of a environmental bent, got into the solar systems so for the last 20 years (self employed for most of it) it has been mainly boilers, floor heating, solar water and electric systems, heat pumps (GSHPs earlier and now air source). Keep learning....can't stop pushing the envelope.
    This site has a great variety of people on it with a wide amount of experience. A good read, I say.

I'm getting into HVAC late. I've been an electrician for 30 years (I apprenticed with I guy in upstate NY who learned his stuff from T. Edison and G. Westinghouse ); Just recently took a job with a company managing the maintenance at a town home community. We've got 136 2 and 2.5 T carrier heat pumps and they took me knowing that I could fix anything electrical in my sleep, but the gas/fluid side of the equipment was like Rubic's cube to me.

Got my EPA cert and a clear understanding of how ignorant I am. Been running ever since.

Since starting with this outfit in September, 2010, I've managed to avoid blowing up or burning out anything that wasn't already on it's last legs (all the equipment is 12 years old and has been poorly maintained and serviced - no regular cleaning, chronically under-charged, repeatedly allowed to leak-down and run hot, air handlers in a closet off the kitchen with filter changes every 12 months whether they need it or not, etc.).

I've just found this forum and it's like an extra life boat on the Titanic!

Quote Originally Posted by walklong View Post
    I'm getting into HVAC late. I've been an electrician for 30 years (I apprenticed with I guy in upstate NY who learned his stuff from T. Edison and G. Westinghouse ); Just recently took a job with a company managing the maintenance at a town home community. We've got 136 2 and 2.5 T carrier heat pumps and they took me knowing that I could fix anything electrical in my sleep, but the gas/fluid side of the equipment was like Rubic's cube to me.

Got my EPA cert and a clear understanding of how ignorant I am. Been running ever since.

Since starting with this outfit in September, 2010, I've managed to avoid blowing up or burning out anything that wasn't already on it's last legs (all the equipment is 12 years old and has been poorly maintained and serviced - no regular cleaning, chronically under-charged, repeatedly allowed to leak-down and run hot, air handlers in a closet off the kitchen with filter changes every 12 months whether they need it or not, etc.).

I've just found this forum and it's like an extra life boat on the Titanic!
    That sounds like your gonna have your hands full. There's a lot of low hanging fruit in that place.
    Fortunately it sounds like they are all similar units so you will get to know them quite well.

Page 42 of 113 FirstFirst ... 323536373839404142434445464748495292 ... LastLast