Page 35 of 113 FirstFirst ... 252829303132333435363738394041424585 ... LastLast
    I had a problem with one of our meat cooler compressor not running,but after furder investigation it happen to be just capacitor,after a quick change it started right up.

I've found the capacitor to be the problem with ac systems not running 75 percent of the time.

New member here. Just wanted to share that school for me is about to start back up. I'm still early into my apprenticeship, and although I'm eager to learn and go to school 2 nights a week, I've quickly realized that nearly 80% of my knowledge actually comes from out in the field as opposed to at school.

I've been in the HVAC/R field for 13years now, 2 1/2 in HVAC/R sales 2years in Tech school and 8+ years in the service side. It's been good and bad, started out making 1$ over over wage hr, had to go through the green stage for several years. After 5 years it got better, pay was better, more confident in my ability, more repect from the old timers. I know I'll never get rich in this field, but I have a job all year long, live middle to maybe a little over middle class. I still ask if I have a question, and tell someone tell someone if I know the answer, always try to stay on top of my game.

I always tell the new green guys starting out, learn Super-Heat/Sub-cooling, understand what the system is doing and why, and no matter what manufacture made the equipment, they all break and keep us in work.

I am currently a student with five weeks left to graduate. I have learned a lot in school like Super-heat, Sub-cooling, enthalpy, Zeotropic refrigerant, Azeotropic refrigerant, Electricity, and too much to post it all lol. I love science and this field has brought me enough science to choke on and I have never been happier. I have not had a whole lot of experience in the field, only when one of my teachers ask me to go on a job with them but I value every minute of real experience. So far I have helped install a Heat pump, three split system A/C systems one R-22 and two R-410a, one furnace, and I also did some service work on some commercial refrigeration systems including walk in coolers and floral cases.

In school I have fixed a few refrigerators, dehumidifiers, and am currently working on a Manitowoc ice machine. The ice machine wouldn't come out of the harvest cycle and I traced the problem to the thermodisc on the evaporator outlet so the machine does what it is supposed to now but the ice won't fall from the evaporator. This befuddles me but I will figure it out. The tray heats up by hot gas defrost but the ice won't fall out like gravity isn't working on the ice lol. I also built a furnace and split system electrical fault simulation board as a special project. Basically the board has components that simulate these systems and there are switches on the back that will "break" something and the student has to use their meter to hopscotch and find the fault.

This is just some of my experiences since I started school and I look forward to working in this field.

hvac service tech

you learn something new every day. if not your not paying attention.

Teach an old dog new tricks

Great Site !
    I am a former Navy F14 Tomcat Plane Captain and Ordinance-man. I have been working in the industrial compressed air service and installation business for 26 years. The last five years I have been specializing in refrigerated compressed air dryers. My trouble shooting skills are decent but my brazing and whatnot need improvement. Looking forward to learning many more interesting things here !

New member here as well. The field is the School of Hard Knocks. I agree with you 100%. The product specific training classes are where you can learn some well kept secrets.

I was so lucky, I started at the age of 17 doing maintenance for a apartment complex in fayetteville nc. Eventually I learned a lot. About everything except hvac. I tried but it was not gunna happen without help because it was to complicated. I left that job I loved to work for the man that did our hvac work and lucky for me he was a teacher at the community collage. About 3 months with him and I was out on my own and loving the trade.now I'm 27 and working with a commercial service company and man its great. I have a lot more to learn to be were I need to be with these controls but I'm not giving up. I have not done a lot of work on walk-in cooler or freezers and the economizers or different but its so cool and I'm glad to be part of the community here at this site.

I'm here to learn...

At 29 years old, I've already been around the world a couple of times. I've survived 3 deployments to Trashcanistan and bailed when I was done. I felt like I rolled the dice enough. I joined the Navy to go to college and did just that when I got out. I started in the Arch-E (with mechanical emphasis) program and loved it. At the time I had a few "issues" from the war. I drank to forget and I was going through a bad divorce. )There was a new guy in my house when I came home early to surprise her. Needless to say we were both surprised.) Life felt hard to deal with at the time and it didn't make school easy but school helped me re-focus. I did really well, for a while... I LOVED Thermo! It was my favorite class! I was doing really well in all of my classes until I hit the wall. Calc-2... I struggled big time towards the end. I passed.... with a C. I was pretty upset. No one gets through Dif-EQ with a C in calc 2. I bombed Dif-EQ.... Twice. I just could not wrap my head around it. It sucked. Really badly. All sorts of people tried to help me. I was in the good graces of all of the professors. They wanted me to pass! I had professors trying to get the Math department to make an exception for me. No one budged. Which was fine. I didn't want anything that I didn't deserve. The heart breaker came when my Thermo professor told me that I was born for engineering and that I shouldn't give up... The only problem was that I had to. I was running out of money and had to get a job. One of the professors talked to a guy (turns out it was the owner) at Henderson Engineers Lenexa, KS. He got me a job as a designer and I liked it... at first. Turns out, there are a lot of frat boys at this company and I don't like sitting on my ass all day. I left after a year. I gained a ton of knowledge though. Since I liked thermo so much, I decided to "take up" refrigeration. I am kind of a smart ass.... The Navy made me that way. They taught me that there was not anything that I couldn't do. and that pissed a few guys at Temp-Con off. They were mad that I knew more than they did and had never touched the equipment. they would ask "how do you know) and I spout off some crap that I had retained from a book and they'd just look at me stupidly. Soooo.... after working for them and a few other companies doing my "knowledge sponge technique" I had learned A LOT!!! Now, I'm slowly learning the "right way" to do things. I went and got 2 associates degrees from the local community college in residential and commercial HVAC systems and have started my own business. I'm winning customers over hand and fist by doing things the right way. It's the best thing that anyone can do for themselves!

Wow,man congrats to you,wow. You should be proud of your self. I was in army to , three and half years in war thorn country,dont wanna say name for privacy. I have stragled with ptsd and ****, did not get any help from no one since i am from other country,did not even ask. Hard time in school bro since english is my second lenguige. But graduated and lended a job as instaler, now i am hvac tech with big property menagment comp. here in town. Still learning every day,i did quit drinking and other staff and changed my life around, have family two kids and amerikan wife that nevet shuts up when she needs to. Hvac is my passion love service side of it. To open up bussiness here takes more than money and associates degree, need some other certifications or what not not even shure. Congrats and good luck with your bussines. It would be cool if you can hook up with some organisation and hire just veterans and help your solders like that but its hard. War messed me up big time bro and beeng here with nobody to talk about it was even harder but i did get better, I feel you even we where not in the same army or country but we all go through same b.s. good luck to you.

Thank you, I have considered building this into a strictly veteran business but I am still unsure. I don't know if I want a bunch of guys as stubborn as myself working for me Anyhow, the money thing is a hard part of getting a business off of the ground. Without a Master Mechanical you probably don't want to risk doing installs or retrofits but you could start a business doing repair work only. I could easily tell you what to do but getting customers is up to you. I started off of craigslist and directed all of them to my website. I could help you if you want to try. You also need to know what you are doing really well. So if you don't feel comfortable yet... Keep learning. I test myself all the time. If I get to a job and can't find the problem within 5 minutes.... I know I'm overlooking something. I always start with the basics and work my way up, NO MATTER WHAT! Even if it is a blower motor that isn't running. I check the filter. Why? Dirty filters can cause a motor to overheat due to the lack of airflow. I always clean the condenser coil if it needs it. No matter what. It's good service for your customer. Go the extra mile and your customer will meet you half way most of the time. At the same time, don't take anyone's crap!

Like you said I am not comfortable yet, still learning a lot ,but maybe one day I will try own business just not yet. Thanks for offering help. Yes i always stop myself and go back to basics when I have problem, and trying to keep it simple.

Page 35 of 113 FirstFirst ... 252829303132333435363738394041424585 ... LastLast