Welcome to all New Guests going Pro? Do not post equipment questions in this forum - Page 30
Page 30 of 113 FirstFirst ... 202324252627282930313233343536374080 ... LastLast
    Well. I Dad always said he had to send me to school so I could learn to put back together all the stuff I tore apart over the years that he had stacked in the garage LOL.

So I moved to Saint Louis, and signed up for HVAC at Basic Institute of Technology on Chippewa street. 1984 I believe was the year.
    I worked in the field for a few years, then in 1991 I took a job with Emerson Electric as in solid state electronics.
    I worked in that field until 1999, then after my divorce took a job on a river boat.
    I worked until I retired from that, and then took a job as a lineman. I worked in that for five years, got to old for climbing poles and such, and am now back in the HVAC field. (And happily remarried).

Hello all. I am new to the forum and new to the field. A quick history of me... I played football all through school and fostered dreams of going pro but a car accident ended that idea. I've worked lots of jobs but figured it was time to have an actual career so I chose this field because I am mechanically inclined and enjoy fixing things, it gives me a sense of accomplishment at the end of the day. I like that it won't be the exact same thing in the exact same place everyday. I also appreciate that this is the kind of knowledge that the "average" guy just doesn't have and can't get easily. Everyone I know wishes they knew an A/C guy, now I am an A/C guy. I just finished the program at a local trade school, got licensed with the state of TX and got my Universal EPA. Now I just need a job in the field. I am really looking more for the commercial side of things. Any suggestions? One of my instructors mentioned this site as a good place to go for information on all things in the field so here I am. Looking forward to a long career in this field and getting to know some of you pretty well over these years.

welcome ORJ, your instructor is correct, but you gonna hafta get that post count up an apply for pro membership to get the info you want

and don't go 'round tellin 'em your the a/c guy ( you'll be sorry)
    It`s better to be silent and thought the fool; than speak and remove all doubt.

I'm more an A/T guy, but that's just me.

Hello everyone just recently started posting as I was a lurker before. Been in the appliance repair business for a while now and got into HVAC-R only about 3 years ago. Still in the learning stages and learn something new pretty often. Thankfully got the basics and some down so I can easily repair most units these days. Of course some days something new that I have never seen comes up and thats where the fun starts. Anyways looking to learn more information and looking to move up into commercial side of things with both refrigeration and hvac.

Thanks for listening

This is a great forum to be in. I to have been a lurker for a few years now. But it has been invaluable.
    When I first joined here, I do not believe there was even a pro section.
    The admins and the site owner has truly put a lot of work and effort into the site and it does show!

I can't wait to see the pro section. Even the regular sections are filled with a vast array of helpful answers and knowledge. I like how theres no DIY also for regular members, just puts us out of business. Kind of like online parts haha

I went to tennessee tech 3 yrs ago after the company i worked fro closed the doors im mechanicly inclined so i decided to go into the hvacr field i have worked hard in school and on the job to learn what ive learned.I joined this site because im sure there very knowlegable people on this site so mabe i can learn somemore.

Confused Gas made me go get gas

So I was 20 and I kept getting robbed working in gas stations so I thought I might go look for a safer line of work. Then a friend of a friend told me about a company that may need temp help so I applied and ended up combing coils for a month straight in the Colorado dry heat on top of a few large office buildings. They liked that I was patient enough to do the job, and for what amounted to peanuts to boot, so they got me to continue on as a truck driver. After a few months of this they had me punching out duct in their sheet metal shop and driving it out to their sites. Then I was given flex jobs and pipe jobs and soon enough I was running commercial sheet metal jobs (poorly I might add). Other than the sheetmetal basics which were taught to me by my first lead mechanic, I have since taught myself fluid dynamics, logic circuits, power consumption, ac/dc field dynamics, low voltage controls, ddc controls, etc... etc... etc...

So I come to find out I really know just about jack diddly squat about any of it and the most important thing to any work that I am involved in is to keep my eyes open and my ears open and keep asking questions until I get the joke.

And the most important thing is information, without the right information you might as well stay home!

I am very happy to see there is a succinct user based fluid (pun intended) information base here to work with and am looking forward to contributing to and benefitting from....

now I need a signature....

Fun Today, 4 RTUs!

The building I manage received 4 new Carrier RTUs today, a 15, 2x 12.5, and a 10 ton. I got to help with all of the fun stuff, locking out the energy source since I am the only authorized employee, and helping with the crane rigging to lift off units, lift on curb adapters, and finally lift and set the new units.

I rewired all of the thermostats so that they would have 2 stages of heat and a/c, where the originals were just wired together.

Light rain in the morning and blazing heat and sun (for Ohio) in the afternoon, and the contractor had all 4 cooling by late afternoon.

The employees, especially the kitchen ones, were very happy with the results. It was 72 in the kitchen after 2 hours, down from over 90. The old unit was only good for about 7 degrees lower than ambient. It was sick.

After seeing it done and helping out, I feel even better about the job, I am starting school this fall and hope to find a HVAC/R contractor to get in with soon.

My current job is paying the bills for now.

my love for hvac was instilled in me by my father as an early teen, helping him as a helper. little did i know he was passing on a trade only hands on experience and wisdom can produce. after high school, i got an hvac tech certificate at penn foster tech. and went through an apprenticeship with local 85. after 5 years of formal schooling and thousands of dollars, i took my conditioned-air non-restricted license test feburary 2011. now getting that under my belt i will persue a business of my own, and carry on my fathers legacy as Chris EVANS air conditioning. now looking back this was my dads plans all along, to meet and exceed what he ever did himself. thanks dad!

new guy here

Hello! My name is Ceaser. I graduated school for HVAC and am universal certified. I really am serious about learning more about refrigeration systems, components, equipment, tools, and controls. I do have a good understanding of how residential systems work, but I'm iterested in it all I.e. boilers and appliances. I hope I can share the knowledge I have obtained from school and not get bashed for doing so. Before this I was working in the remodeling homes side of the industry... well we all know where the economy is and how it has driven home owners to become DIY minded

Need to get post count up

I have been on this board for a few years now, but with the recent changes, it looks like I will need to apply for Pro membership in order to view some of the forums I have become accustomed to.

As far as my background....

I bought a heat and air company just over 5 years ago and, at the time, did not even know I had filters to change in my own system. Since then I have gotten my contractors license and learned a great deal about the industry, but you would still probably not want me to come out and fix your air conditioner or heater, unfortunately, I am just not that handy.

As for my company, we are a small outfit with only 1 service tech, 2 installers, an officer manager and myself. We do mostly residential and light commercial.

Page 30 of 113 FirstFirst ... 202324252627282930313233343536374080 ... LastLast